Author Topic: Anyone thinking of not going now because of new COVID variant?  (Read 7091 times)

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
Re: Anyone thinking of not going now because of new COVID variant?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 01:19:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So glad there are such a limit on things I want this year. No lego,hasbro,Mattel , so so panel beside hall H, no WB auto.I can take it easy and not have to be exposed to people for multiple hours.

Mattel is announcing all week....

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 01:25:19 PM »
I was actually really worried about the latest COVID variant… until I got it. I guess I’ll have a stronger immunity at the Con…

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »
Here's an article about the covid precautions at comic-con.  One interesting thing is whether panelists will be required to wear masks will be made on a case by case basis.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
I've been repeatedly saying that if you are really worried about Covid, this is the last place you want to be.  The transmission with omicron was way more rapid than OG and Delta, and the new variant is whipping through with just as much speed.  The indoor spaces are going to be foamy with particulate and outdoors is not going to be much better because people are right on top of each other.  Surgical masks will be rendered useless and based on San Diego's current rate and SDCC's historical numbers between 350-400 people will show up to the con with it.  This is a risk/reward situation.  I am OK with the risk because I do not have anyone in the household with a compromised immune system but if I did, or had small unvax'ed kids, I would not even think about showing up.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 01:12:53 AM »
I got covid last month - pretty sure the new variant. It was at the tail end of four trips over a two month span (which included Star award Celebration in May, and an 8 day Hawaii trip in June). Hoping whatever immunity from that variant is still fine for next week but I’m still obviously going to mask up (I am bringing surgical and N94 masks).

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 05:49:13 AM »
I was actually really worried about the latest COVID variant… until I got it. I guess I’ll have a stronger immunity at the Con…

Were you horribly ill, or mildly ill? Getting concerned about this newer wave.  Argh.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 06:11:23 AM »
Were you horribly ill, or mildly ill? Getting concerned about this newer wave.  Argh.

My sis and BIL both just got it last week and they have only been mildly ill, as relatively healthy adults in their mid-30s.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 07:11:56 AM »
What I have seen in official reports and also from the people I know who have had COVID, is that each successive variant is more transmissible but less severe. Hospitalizations (and most importantly, deaths) are way down with this variant as compared to previous ones.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 07:41:30 AM »
What I have seen in official reports and also from the people I know who have had COVID, is that each successive variant is more transmissible but less severe. Hospitalizations (and most importantly, deaths) are way down with this variant as compared to previous ones.
Unfortunately in New Jersey, since April 1st, reported case numbers have gone up around 200%, while hospitalizations due to Covid have increased 300%, and those on ventilators are up about 200%.
We're still no where near where we were back in January, but it's still not a good trend.
I was hoping this would burn itself out for Summer, but that's clearly not the case anymore.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 01:48:41 PM »
I've been concerned too. But I do feel a bit more relaxed now after I went to the UK a couple of months ago where no one was wearing a mask on the flights or in the city and everything was fine. I think your first time traveling around during the pandemic is scary but once I realized it can be safe and you can control your behavior and some aspects of your environment, I felt a lot better about it. I think wearing a N95 is the safest thing to do. It's hard to avoid crowds at SDCC but generally if you have a N95 on and you're not in constant, prolonged contact with people, it's safe. There's also other ways to protect yourself like moving around and avoiding big crowds of people or avoid unmasked people. You can sit in the back of the rooms during panels where there's less people. You can go outside when you want to eat. I would definitely walk away from anyone who seems symptomatic or change my seat during the panel.

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 05:06:16 PM »
There's also other ways to protect yourself like moving around and avoiding big crowds of people or avoid unmasked people. You can sit in the back of the rooms during panels where there's less people. You can go outside when you want to eat. I would definitely walk away from anyone who seems symptomatic or change my seat during the panel.
This was exactly my strategy at Star Wars Celebration.  :)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 08:10:02 PM »
I am very concerned, unfortunately I invested too much in this to back out now. I just got a four-day badge from the eBay auction so I’m in for the long haul. Same with New York Comic Con in October.  I got my ticket when infection rates were relatively low.  I knew I was taking a gamble not knowing what the situation would be months in advance.

Instead of staying at my brother and sister-in-law’s place, I’m staying alone at a motel in Oceanside.  I fear I could bring something to them.  My sister-in-law is currently going through her second covid infection.  She just went through this two months ago.  Miraculously, my brother did not catch it from her.  In fact, he, I and my mother have not gotten infected even once all throughout the pandemic. 

However, none of us are taking chances with BA.5 or BA.2.75.

UPDATE: My sister-in-law is doing better.  She took two tests, both came back negative.  She may have had that apparent non-covid bug going around making people feel under the weather.  We seem to forget Covid-19 is not the only virus that makes people sick.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:31:40 AM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline CHEYS671Guam

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 09:43:34 PM »
Tbh, I get a bit anxious too about my decision with attending SDCC this year. It's already too late for me to back out. I flew all the way from Guam (it's a $1,600+ plane ticket) and had already spent money on accommodations. I'll just do the best that I can do to be safe~

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2022, 05:37:10 AM »
Worried? Yes, but not going to back out. Actually, my biggest fear is coming down with it before the con ends, having to miss the rest of the con and then find a place to quarantine before I'm allowed to fly home. I just feel the way things are going that like the cold or the flu, it's something everyone will eventually catch. I'll take all the reasonable precautions I can, but I just refuse to live the rest of my life in hiding.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2022, 09:42:33 AM »
Four days after returning from Scotland a few weeks ago, I started getting symptoms and tested positive.  I never saw a doctor, but I'm pretty sure it was BA-5.  This was just two weeks ago and I'm over it.  The symptoms were like having an allergy--sneezing and runny nose.  I basically got over it faster than I would get over a common cold.  I took lots of Vitamin D.

I had been boosted two weeks before the trip to Scotland, but I didn't wear a mask on the plane or anywhere in Scotland.

To be honest, if I hadn't gotten it and was thinking about attending SDCC, I'd still go.  I'm flying from the East Coast.