Author Topic: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?  (Read 129149 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?
« Reply #1095 on: September 11, 2022, 12:14:30 PM »
Sparkling water with some flavoring (Bubly drops or citrus juice) can give that same feeling as diet soda. I do both.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?
« Reply #1096 on: September 11, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
So I’m gonna say the opposite: water does absolutely nothing for my appetite. I regularly drink around 120-240oz of water per day. Far more than recommended. And I am still constantly hungry. I can drink 20oz right before dinner and still scarf down way more than I should.

I think the best way to not snack at night is to have no snacks readily available at all. So when I go grocery shopping, I think twice about buying that bag of chips or box of Nilla Wafers. And if I do have snacks around the home, I put them somewhere not conveniently accessible. This may be my garage or even a different closet. Basically somewhere where I don’t normally go look for food. Yes, I know where I put my snacks, but psychologically I don’t opt to go grab them when they’re not in their usual location.

Also, I’ve now trained myself to only have sweets immediately after dinner. After I leave the kitchen, that’s it. No more food until lunch the next day. Getting to this point was HARD. But it’s doable with discipline.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #1097 on: September 12, 2022, 09:31:35 AM »
For me it's more of a need to crunch on something than real hunger, if you know what I mean.  I'll grab just a couple (like, 4-6) goldfish crackers and give them a good chomping.  Then my brain is happy for a bit, lol.  And I agree, just don't have stuff on hand.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1098 on: September 12, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »
In a perfect world: kickboxing classes 2-3 times a week w/exercise biking on the off days

In reality world: I'm super busy right now with HS marching band teaching, and also a bit lazy, so I'm not really doing much of any exercise at the moment and hoping things will pick back up around Thanksgiving at the latest  ???

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1099 on: September 12, 2022, 10:16:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And I agree, just don't have stuff on hand.

the night time child in me gets mad at the adult who went shopping

the adult is extremely adept at determining what that child will consider snack food and avoiding it at the grocery store.
On the flip side, the amount of time the child has spent staring into the open refrigerator is astounding.

the analogy of 'whack-a-mole' comes to mind
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #1100 on: September 12, 2022, 10:51:13 AM »
For me it's more of a need to crunch on something than real hunger, if you know what I mean.  I'll grab just a couple (like, 4-6) goldfish crackers and give them a good chomping.  Then my brain is happy for a bit, lol.  And I agree, just don't have stuff on hand.

I am right there with you.  I do cucumbers with a touch of garlic salt.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1101 on: September 12, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »
trader joes has bags of sugar snap pea's
i buy 3 at a time

costco Crunchmaster is a decent low cal salty cracker, paired with a low cal spreadable cheese - the one that comes in wedges.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1102 on: September 12, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
Ha; for me, I partake in a nightly...prescribed medication that has scientifically shown to create hunger w/in the brave neurons which means I typically don't eat a breakfast, I eat a mid-afternoon 'brunch,' and then often a late dinner or snack.
Oddly, when I do regular kickboxing at least twice a week my weight is OK, but since COVID has radically altered that regularity for one reason or another I've def. gained a bit of weight.  I joke around that my wife lost around 30 pounds during COVID, while I've found it

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #1103 on: September 12, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
Ha; for me, I partake in a nightly...prescribed medication that has scientifically shown to create hunger w/in the brave neurons which means I typically don't eat a breakfast, I eat a mid-afternoon 'brunch,' and then often a late dinner or snack.
Oddly, when I do regular kickboxing at least twice a week my weight is OK, but since COVID has radically altered that regularity for one reason or another I've def. gained a bit of weight.  I joke around that my wife lost around 30 pounds during COVID, while I've found it

You should tell your wife to hide things better  :P

I take one in the morning that does the same but you are not supposed to eat right away.  I call it the torture pill.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #1104 on: September 12, 2022, 04:50:19 PM »
I am right there with you.  I do cucumbers with a touch of garlic salt.

Yes!  I love cucumbers and their other form, dill pickles.  None of that sweet or bread and butter nonsense.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #1105 on: September 12, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »
It's starting to get chilly here so I tried on the pants in my closet. Let's just say this thread is now very relevant to me. I have been going on daily walks but I guess that wasn't enough. Not having the snacks in the house is going to be my first move, great advice!