Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51576 times)

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really, the only thing you can do wrong is stay in your hotel room.

Thats great! We are part of a big group and do a lot of shifts depending on what we want to see. I’m excited but really just overwhelmed by the sheer excitement of finally going!! I gotta get a “go bag” together!!!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2022, 01:45:50 PM »
Hey guys! This is my first year going: any advice on what NOT to do? We got our hotel and plane tickets but what are something you’ve learned from going to SDCC?

Be prepared to sit on the ground to eat or wait in lines. If you don't want to do that, bring a small stool or cushion. Bring an umbrella and sunscreen if you plan to wait in long lines outside. Bring a power bank in case your phone dies. Bring snacks and water or be prepared to spend money.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 08:52:18 AM »

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2022, 08:45:20 PM »
Be prepared to sit on the ground to eat or wait in lines. If you don't want to do that, bring a small stool or cushion. Bring an umbrella and sunscreen if you plan to wait in long lines outside. Bring a power bank in case your phone dies. Bring snacks and water or be prepared to spend money.

I'll add an edit to this for umbrellas. Bring a UV umbrella*

One year I used a normal umbrella in the Hall H line and while it helped immensely, I still got sunburned a bit in places that had definitely been covered because it couldn't completely stop the UV.

But to add to this, I know it's a SUPER long thread and don't feel like you need to read a ton of it, but just a few pages can give you great ideas of what to expect (as people say why.) There's a Useful items to take to SDCC thread in CCI General Discussion: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login People also discuss the best options in their opinion there. The first page hasn't been updated in quite a while, but it gives you some categories that might get you thinking too.

It also highly depends on what you're going for that changes what you might need! Most years, I camp for Hall H, so I keep a ton of camping stuff (that I use literally nowhere else as I'm not an outdoors person,) but someone who was going with the main purpose of shopping would (likely) need different things.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2022, 11:17:06 PM »
Hey guys! This is my first year going: any advice on what NOT to do? We got our hotel and plane tickets but what are something you’ve learned from going to SDCC?
You're going to have a blast! Be flexible! Things move and change quickly. I find it helpful to have one must do for each day and the rest is just icing. It can be overwhelming trying to do everything and you can end up rushing around and not soaking it all in.

I second bringing snacks! To save time, I usually bring my own food and snacks and eat standing in line.

Compression socks are a life saver for me and helps with the fatigue.

And most of all, have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
Add with the above, make sure you have COMFORTABLE shoes that you can walk miles in. My first year, I made the mistake of wearing sandals. I had bloody feet by day's end. Second year, I wore a pair of worn down sneakers. And my feet were in pain. Now I make sure my walking shoes are in relatively good condition.

As for snacks, I used to pack a lot of snacks in my luggage. I still do pack some snacks, but now I always make it a point to drop by Ralph's supermarket (G & 1st St) when I first arrive and load up on drinks and snacks there.

If this is your first time going, I would honestly say, skip all the major lines (like Hall H & Ballroom 20 where the big panels are), at least for the first 1-2 days. Your first day should be just about exploring and taking it all in. It WILL be complete sensory overload, and you probably will feel overwhelmed. So I'd spend the first day just wandering around and exploring (both inside and outside the convention), getting familiar with the venue, where things are located, how things like lines are set up, gawking at coplayers, etc. Don't worry about "needing" to go to a panel or trying to catch a celebrity signing. Just go with the flow and let things come to you. In fact, this will be my 15th or 16th SDCC, and I still go by this mantra.

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2022, 09:22:37 PM »
I will go against the grain here, you couldn't pay me enough to wear sneakers.  I don't like my feet covered so I do just fine in really really good flip flops.   I have been with a broken ankle and then the next year brain surgery in May & was at con in July so it's completely doable.  What I have learned is know your limits & don't be afraid to just go sit & have a break outside by the water or back patio.  You won't miss anything major by taking a breather.  We usually come in on Tuesday & I immediately order instacart delivery to hotel for our snacks/waters/sodas. 

I actually have what my little group calls "awesome backpack cooler stool"  so I always have something to sit on when needed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nimitz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2023, 02:39:12 PM »
My wife will no longer be going this summer due to a new job. I know badges are not transferable but can I pass her badge to a direct family member to use. Or is that also against the rules.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2023, 02:57:39 PM »
My wife will no longer be going this summer due to a new job. I know badges are not transferable but can I pass her badge to a direct family member to use. Or is that also against the rules.

That constitutes as "transferable", so no.  If it's caught, she would be banned.

Best to ask for a refund.

If the concern is giving up the chance to do pre-reg for 2024, refund all but one day.  For example, if she has thursday thru sunday.  request a refund for just thursday thru saturday, and keep sunday.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2023, 10:17:09 AM »
If the concern is giving up the chance to do pre-reg for 2024, refund all but one day.  For example, if she has thursday thru sunday.  request a refund for just thursday thru saturday, and keep sunday.

They don't do partial refunds anymore, unfortunately. It's all or nothing. I believe that changed just before pandemic, in 2019.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
They don't do partial refunds anymore, unfortunately. It's all or nothing. I believe that changed just before pandemic, in 2019.

Wow!!!  Really?  How did I miss that?   ???

I guess since I've never asked for a refund, I wouldn't know that. 

Thanks for that info. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2023, 02:39:11 PM »
In 40 years of going, I've never had to show ID to match my badge. It's a risk but a small one.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2023, 09:32:54 AM »
In 40 years of going, I've never had to show ID to match my badge. It's a risk but a small one.
Same (only having attended 20+ years).  Once they started mailing badges especially, there's zero ID verification on-site

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »
If a badge malfunctioned and they have to tinker with it, that could be a risk. I do not know if they check ID in that case?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2023, 08:03:02 AM »
Yes if you have to go by the desk for help with your badge they asked for ID and wanted to confirm address and stuff from the badge.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
I have seen at least one ID check every year since I have been going, for over a decade. It happens.