Author Topic: AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor  (Read 9527 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 01:56:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Only 4 years?  I was hoping for another 8, though my needs are low so I maybe that will help it stay alive longer.

Only game I really might play at this point is that Evil Dead Game.

like you i don't game and just need to chug through data
it becomes a question of an amazing $3K system that'll last 6-8 years for us non-gamers OR a moderate, modern processer/mobo set up for $1k which will last for 4 years.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2022, 09:29:35 AM »
I found this discussion on cores interesting.

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:44:01 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2022, 11:09:13 AM »
Only 4 years?  I was hoping for another 8, though my needs are low so I maybe that will help it stay alive longer.

Only game I really might play at this point is that Evil Dead Game.

If your needs are low and you don't game or video edit, then there's really no need to get that much of a computer.  For what most people do, browse the web and send email, a computer from 10 years ago is pretty much all they need.  The only real notable performance improvements for everyday tasks are a SSD instead of a HD and hardware support for decompressing video.  But even the cheapest computers have that now.

I still use a 14 year old desktop for somethings.  The computer that runs the house only has a fraction of that 14 year old computer's power.  My everyday laptops range from a 3rd gen i5 to a 11th gen i5.  For everyday stuff, there's nothing my 11th gen laptop can do that my 3rd gen can't.  The only reason I have beefier laptops and desktops with good GPUs is for gaming.  Particularly VR gaming which is demanding.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
I can't say I agree with this, I use my desktop all the time, it was top of the line when I built it, and it is starting to struggle with the easy stuff.  I think it also depends on how long you have used your computer, parts wear out.  So if your laptop is your main computer then it's more likely you care about the usefulness of your desktop less. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »
I can't say I agree with this, I use my desktop all the time, it was top of the line when I built it, and it is starting to struggle with the easy stuff.  I think it also depends on how long you have used your computer, parts wear out.  So if your laptop is your main computer then it's more likely you care about the usefulness of your desktop less.

What's it struggling with?  The two things that slowed down my 14 year old desktop was the HD, a SSD fixed that.  And it not being able to play modern high resolution video.  The CPU lacks the instructions used to accelerate video encoding/decoding.  Using a GPU enabled codec fixed that.  Which is what I use it for now.  It's my transcode box.

Something to watch out for is thermal paste on the CPU drying out.  Even on my 2 year old desktop, it slowed down dramatically because of that.  The paste dried out and it was thermal throttling.  It only benchmarked at about 10% of what it should have during computationally intensive tasks.  I cleaned off the old pad and put on some new grease.  It sped back up.

The only stuff that should wear out and be less capable are mechanical.  The fans.  The HD.  The optical drive.  The floppy if you have one.  Things do break.  The PSU being the big culprit.  All those things are easily replaced.  The digital components should last pretty much forever.  I have computers that are 40 years old that work as well today as when I first got them.  Whether they can doing anything useful today, is another matter.  The big thing to watch out for in a 40 year computer is leaky caps.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 02:31:04 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 03:09:55 PM »
If anyone has extra paste... I may need some. I've been having thermal problems.

JK, it's another item on the long list of things too do
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline rbf32

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »
What's it struggling with?  The two things that slowed down my 14 year old desktop was the HD, a SSD fixed that.  And it not being able to play modern high resolution video.  The CPU lacks the instructions used to accelerate video encoding/decoding.  Using a GPU enabled codec fixed that.  Which is what I use it for now.  It's my transcode box.

Something to watch out for is thermal paste on the CPU drying out.  Even on my 2 year old desktop, it slowed down dramatically because of that.  The paste dried out and it was thermal throttling.  It only benchmarked at about 10% of what it should have during computationally intensive tasks.  I cleaned off the old pad and put on some new grease.  It sped back up.

The only stuff that should wear out and be less capable are mechanical.  The fans.  The HD.  The optical drive.  The floppy if you have one.  Things do break.  The PSU being the big culprit.  All those things are easily replaced.  The digital components should last pretty much forever.  I have computers that are 40 years old that work as well today as when I first got them.  Whether they can doing anything useful today, is another matter.  The big thing to watch out for in a 40 year computer is leaky caps.

i understand all of these words seperately but almost everything together makes zero sense to me.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 12:38:22 AM »
I got a 12700k last month and happy with it.

But what are the specs on your old computer and what do you use it for? It might be fine and like what chocolateshake said it just might need some cleaning and repasting.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2022, 04:47:12 AM »
Now's an interesting time to consider a new build, for those in the market.  With the new chips coming out in the coming months, the current top-ends are dropping.  My MSRP AMD 5950x was $799 early last year when I bought it direct from AMD.  I am now seeing that same chip go for $599. For the bulk of what people do (per what You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login said) going hardcore is a little crazy.  But the "little" things can help instead of going all out.  SSD over standard platters. Maybe a bump in RAM if your board has room. Sometimes even a wipe-n-renew speeds things up.  But I will say that if you do any of the below, it is worth considering stepping up the hardware build design:
- Streaming
- Video recording and Editing (anything OBS and NDI related)
- Photo/Image editing
- Current/recent gaming
- Development (more local, not necessarily cloud-based dev)
- Hardware constraints (ex: # of monitors)

The image below is my setup, and I'm still tweaking. I never realized how much easier it is to work w/3 monitors than the two I had in my office, or even just working off the laptop (note in this image I repurpose my laptop on the right as a whiteboard for my engagements I run). The cool thing is, if you build a rig like this, and you need to do work on it too, you can even install the OS to 'dual boot', acting as both a work and home machine, without needing 2 machines. I am going to miss working on this the days I go back into my office.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2022, 08:30:23 AM »
I got a 12700k last month and happy with it.

But what are the specs on your old computer and what do you use it for? It might be fine and like what chocolateshake said it just might need some cleaning and repasting.

I think You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has a 3rd gen intel chip
I just replaced a 6th gen with an 11th gen cpu. I had to build when I did due to my kiddo needing a new computer. His died last summer & I decided to give him my old one.

I think i suggested that 12th gen to her, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i wish my desk was big enough for 3 monitors LOL
Maybe if I turn one vertical.... hehe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:38:53 AM by alyssa »

Offline rbf32

• Freebie Table
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2022, 09:10:20 AM »
My old desk had room for 3 monitors with one vertical. I miss that, I moved countries and now I'm down to 1. :<

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
We were suppose to debate AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor, not what does NCDS actually need.   :D :D :D :D

Since so many have mentioned it, before I came here I had already evaluated my alternatives to trying to survive on this computer longer, and I have decided against it.  As Alyssa said I am on a 3rd generation chip and in 2025 Windows won't support it anymore.  Yes, I could try and wait until then but I don't want to!

Think consensus here is AMD Ryzen and Intel are both good processors.  The AMD Ryzen build seems to be a little more bang for the buck so I am going to go with that.  The only real decision now is should I step a bit out of my budget and get the same processor as Michael knowing it's way more than I need or do I stick with a lower price knowing I may need to replace it a couple of years earlier.  My wallet is thinking on it.

Also, can we talk about how clean You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login desk is?  It would take me an hour of cleaning before I could send a picture of mine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 09:37:32 AM by NCDS »

Offline rbf32

• Freebie Table
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
Excellent choice with AMD.

it would take me a year to clean my desk to that level.  ;D

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
Also, can we talk about how clean You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login desk is?  It would take me an hour of cleaning before I could send a picture of mine.
the lack of cabling under the desk is a dead giveaway that it's a stock photo
#runsAndHides

I can barely find room for my mouse, calculator, unattached keypad and notebooks on my desk ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 09:43:22 AM by alyssa »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
We were suppose to debate AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor, not what does NCDS actually need.   :D :D :D :D

Since so many have mentioned it, before I came here I had already evaluated my alternatives to trying to survive on this computer longer, and I have decided against it.  As Alyssa said I am on a 3rd generation chip and in 2025 Windows won't support it anymore.  Yes, I could try and wait until then but I don't want to!

Think consensus here is AMD Ryzen and Intel are both good processors.  The AMD Ryzen build seems to be a little more bang for the buck so I am going to go with that.  The only real decision now is should I step a bit out of my budget and get the same processor as Michael knowing it's way more than I need or do I stick with a lower price knowing I may need to replace it a couple of years earlier.  My wallet is thinking on it.

Well it's really more than just a CPU discussion right? Need to look at the bigger build :D
Speaking of, what GPU did you land on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login?

I despise a messy desk...that's not to say that it doesn't get cluttered...and when it hits that threshold I'll take a day and clean it all up. I need room to work. Plus, this doubles as my LEGO build desk. LEGO instructions on a 27" monitor are soooooo easy on the eyes :D

Now if you want messier, my crafting desk, where I paint my D&D and Marvel Crisis Protocol minis...that gets messy :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"