Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137544 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, the trolley doesn't go to the airport. You'd have to take an MTS bus to Santa Fe Depot and get the trolley there, but at that point you're practically in the Gaslamp anyway.

There's another way. You can take the shuttle bus that runs around the airport. Tell them you want to get on the trolley and they'll tell you where to get off.  Then walk across the street and hop on the trolley at the Middletown stop.  That stop is literally on the edge of the tarmac on the opposite side from the terminal.  This is how I get to and from the airport.  It's faster than taking the 992 to Santa Fe.  The 992 doesn't run very often.  The Airport Shuttle runs pretty often.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #421 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
Thank you. That is surprising to me. Even in Denver you can take the lightrail to the airport and it's in the middle of nowhere.

This is Southern California.  We don't believe in public transit. ;)

It's coming.  SANDAG has 4 new proposals to bring public transit directly to the airport.  San Francisco was the same way for years.  They built a new BART/Caltrain station right across the highway from the airport.  Why not at the airport?  The taxi lobby wouldn't stand for it.  The taxi lobby isn't what it once was.  San Francisco extended BART to the airport years ago.  Now San Diego is planning to as well.  Before the Middletown stop, taking the bus into downtown just to catch a trolley back out added between 30-60 minutes to a trip home depending on whether I missed a bus to trolley connection.  It's like they planned it so that it would miss it by seconds.  The cool bus drivers would open the door at the intersection and tell us to get out and run.  The sticklers would make us wait for the light to change and then drive across to the bus stop.  Which would give us a great view of the trolley as it left the station.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 03:21:46 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »

pacificsurfliner Heading to @comic_con this week? Check out our blog for helpful tips to avoid the most crowded #PacificSurfliner trains on your way to the exhibits, panels, competitions, and more. The link is in our bio.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2019, 04:05:56 PM »
First time taking public transit to the airport and it was a breeze. The 992 goes down Broadway and runs every 15 minutes. From 2nd & Broadway it took like 12 minutes which is no different than Uber/Lyft, and it drops off/picks up right in front of the Terminal (whereas with Uber/Lyft you have to go to the rideshare area to get picked up.) Not bad for $2.25. This may not be as convenient for people staying on the other side of Harbor but isn’t a bad option for most Gaslamp hotels.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »
Can I ask about rideshare services on here? Where are the best places to grab them during the con to get back to far-flung hotels? I have a badge for some days but not all so I won't be able to grab the shuttle back to the hotel for the days I don't have a badge.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
Can I ask about rideshare services on here? Where are the best places to grab them during the con to get back to far-flung hotels? I have a badge for some days but not all so I won't be able to grab the shuttle back to the hotel for the days I don't have a badge.

For the last couple of years they have shut down Harbor Blvd to traffic,so people usually recommend the MGH as a good place to get ride-shares.

Offline Hades

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #426 on: January 12, 2020, 11:40:00 AM »
I've found that the Ralphs area in the Gaslamp is a good place for that. Not a far walk on the days you cannot take a shuttle and just far enough away to not have many issues getting picked up and/or dropped off. Even on days where I was able to take the shuttle, going that route got me down to the convention faster than the shuttle at times.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »
I wouldn't discount the shuttle.  I only had the driver of one shuttle ask me if I had a badge, and that's because mine wasn't showing when I got on. 

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2020, 08:01:10 PM »
I wouldn't discount the shuttle.  I only had the driver of one shuttle ask me if I had a badge, and that's because mine wasn't showing when I got on.
Yeah, I'm not worried about getting on at the hotel, but to get back on it at the Convention Ctr they have that security now when you cross the street so for the days I don't have a badge I won't be able to do that.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2020, 06:20:44 AM »
The red and purple shuttle routes have for the past good chunk of years picked up and dropped off by petco, so if you do wind up in one the hotels in mission valley you could get on without worrying about the badge-only areas by the convention center. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2021, 12:18:46 PM »
The construction of the blue line extension north is done.  Testing starts today and the line should be fully operational in November.  This make it's it possible for many more people to take the trolley to comic-con.  It also opens up many more hotels that people can stay at.  Up at UTC alone there are a few that are within walking distance of the station.  So it should help the housing crunch.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »
It also opens up many more hotels that people can stay at.  Up at UTC alone there are a few that are within walking distance of the station.  So it should help the housing crunch.
That is great news.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #432 on: March 21, 2022, 08:45:25 AM »
looking at booking amtrak back to OC and found santa fe depot station is closest to gaslamp. Does the tram in gas lamp go to that station? or will i need to uber/lyft there? Whats the name of the tram that passes by gaslamp

Thanks!

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #433 on: March 21, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »
looking at booking amtrak back to OC and found santa fe depot station is closest to gaslamp. Does the tram in gas lamp go to that station? or will i need to uber/lyft there? Whats the name of the tram that passes by gaslamp

Thanks!
The tram is the SDMTS Trolley, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
From gaslamp, take the Green Line Trolley to Santa Fe Depot, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:08:19 AM by SteveD »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2022, 08:53:07 AM »
I have a confession to make about taking the trolley. Sometimes I forgot to pay for a ticket and just hopped on. It was so crowded, and the excitement level was so high.  Truly.  ::) 🌹
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia