Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44577 times)

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With them requiring proof of vaccination or negative test within 72 hours and mask wearing, I'm really not worried.
A quick example of how that doesn't always work:

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »
With them requiring proof of vaccination or negative test within 72 hours and mask wearing, I'm really not worried.

This person was vaccinated.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 04:01:50 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2021, 01:09:00 PM »
Nothing is completely safe. That was true before Covid but it seems more obvious now. I'm comfortable going to indoor events with vax/test requirements and masks. I'm also vaccinated. I know that does not mean that there is a zero percent chance I will catch Covid, but the chance is low enough that I would rather risk it and get back to in-person events than stay at home and only attend virtual things, even though that would be safer.

But everyone's personal risk calculation will be different. I don't live with anyone unvaccinated (including children) or immunocompromised. I don't have any underlying high-risk factors for complications. I have good health insurance and I can take time off work without being penalized. I think everyone has to make their own decisions about what's safe once they've taken the necessary steps to protect others (meaning getting vaccinated and wearing a mask indoors).

Also - that Paparazzi convention, yeesh. So many unmasked photos and shoulder-to-shoulder crowds! If I get to CCSE and it looks anything like that, I'm turning right back around and going home.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2021, 01:16:19 PM »
A quick example of how that doesn't always work:

Exactly. Nothing is 100%.  Nothing is ever going to be 100%.  That's life.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2021, 06:53:17 PM »

Vaccinations are good.  Masks are good.  Vaccinated people wearing masks are really good.  A negative test within 72 hours is pretty useless.  People can get infected with delta and be at the height of being contagious all within 48 hours.  That's one of the reasons that delta spreads so well.  It becomes contagious faster.  That's why many other countries require a negative test, then quarantine for 3 days and then get another negative test before being declared safe.

It's funny and sad to listen to expats talk about their experience coming back to the US.  They prepare by doing all the paperwork.  Taking the PCR test.  Filling out the declarations.  Then are all anxious when they step off the plane back in the US ready to be confronted by suited healthcare professionals in PPE.  Only to be left in disbelief that no one cares in the US.  No one asks for their paperwork.  No one asks for their test results.  It's like bizarroworld in the US.  It's like there's no pandemic.

Youtube has a lot of videos of expats coming back to the US.  Here's one I saw recently that is representative.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
Nothing is completely safe. That was true before Covid but it seems more obvious now. I'm comfortable going to indoor events with vax/test requirements and masks. I'm also vaccinated. I know that does not mean that there is a zero percent chance I will catch Covid, but the chance is low enough that I would rather risk it and get back to in-person events than stay at home and only attend virtual things, even though that would be safer.

I'm going to quote this for truth.  Well said and I agree one thousand percent.

I'm tired of staying home.  I'm tired of sitting in front of this stupid computer.  I'm tired of little talking heads on computer screens and phones.  I don't ever want to hear the words "Zoom" and "Virtual" ever again.  ("Zoom" can seriously bite me.  I'm sick of it)

I want the excitement, thrill and energy of going to a comic book convention.  I want to see my crowd again.  I want to be with my tribe again. 

If this show happens, I'm going to be there.  No more living in fear.  From now on, it's just living. 

I hope to see you all there.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
Being safe and smart is not the same as living in fear.
This isn't directed at anyone person, just in general as its something I'm told often.
I'm not living in fear, I'm being safe and protecting my family.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
This isn't directed at anyone person, just in general as its something I'm told often.

I understand that.  I totally get where you're coming from.  I know this disease is still out there and I know it's still killing people.  I get it.  I don't think of people as cowards if they're protecting themselves.

But for me, I'll feel safe enough attending this event if everyone is vaccinated and wearing masks.  And I do understand that not everyone feels that way.  It's cool.

But me, I'm going.  I don't want to do anymore virtual ANYTHING.  I'm not knocking the SDCC organizers for putting on Comic-Con at home.  I give them credit for trying to at least do something.  But man, Comic-Con at home is just watching youtube videos and ordering stuff online.  Y'know what?  You can already do that anytime, day or night, 24 hours a day.  IT'S BORING.  I WANT THE REAL THING BACK.

I said before that it's hard to tell what the landscape is going to look like 3 days from now, never mind November.  But unless things change drastically, I'm going.  I want my Comic-Con back.  I won't think any less of anyone who feels differently.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2021, 08:46:51 AM »

I agree completely. It's not at all "living in fear". It's just a risk calculation. And everyone plugs in their own numbers on the front end, so everyone's result is different.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2021, 09:30:53 AM »
I agree, I want the real thing back.  This won't be it and for those tired of virtual, note that studios are bringing virtual to in-person cons ( I hope that isn't the norm going forward).

I honestly never even had to think about safety for this event.  Just looking at the cost compared to the value of the convention settled it for me.  At the end of the day do I think it's safe, no. Is it in the American culture to continue on regardless of saftey, yes.  Though I still suggest double masks  ;)

I think this is equal to a local con, so if you are local and want to go makes sense. If you arent' local then you have more money than I do and should spend it on what your heart desires. 

I went to FunKon, was it a stupid move, yes.  Did I have fun, yes. So I get making the choice of going over logic. 

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:57 AM »

This a million percent! 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
CCSE Terms and Conditions  (Refund deadline is November 8th)

I dig this policy.  It really feels that CCI is doing absolutely everything they can mitigate the pandemic during their events, and I appreciate them setting up this contact tracing protocol.  While the risks of being in a relatively big group while indoors during this time obviously exists, as a consumer I feel CCI is doing absolutely everything they can to mitigate the circumstances (to be blunt, moreso than the school district I work for/my youngest kid attends - I legit feel as though CCI is doing a better job going about their business in a pandemic than several school districts in San Diego county, at least one of which had to radically change operations after multiple legal threats from the state of CA).

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:17 AM »
But for me, I'll feel safe enough attending this event if everyone is vaccinated and wearing masks.  And I do understand that not everyone feels that way.  It's cool.

But me, I'm going.  I don't want to do anymore virtual ANYTHING.  I'm not knocking the SDCC organizers for putting on Comic-Con at home.  I give them credit for trying to at least do something.  But man, Comic-Con at home is just watching youtube videos and ordering stuff online.  Y'know what?  You can already do that anytime, day or night, 24 hours a day.  IT'S BORING.  I WANT THE REAL THING BACK.

I said before that it's hard to tell what the landscape is going to look like 3 days from now, never mind November.  But unless things change drastically, I'm going.  I want my Comic-Con back.  I won't think any less of anyone who feels differently.

And I can't believe I'm saying this...

I'm hoping for a badge sale with the spinning blue circles.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:44 PM »
And I can't believe I'm saying this...

I'm hoping for a badge sale with the spinning blue circles.   :)
hahahaha  :P  After 20 years of going to Comic-Con, and two years of missing it due to the pandemic, I still don't think I miss it enough to want the spinning blue circles  :P

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
I dig this policy.  It really feels that CCI is doing absolutely everything they can mitigate the pandemic during their events, and I appreciate them setting up this contact tracing protocol.

I respect the effort.  I have no doubt they will try their best during the con.  I don't think the contract tracing will mean much.  I doubt many people will report themselves during the con, let alone 2 weeks later.  Even if they did, what could CCI do with that information.  It's too coarse.  Other than send out a group email out to thousands of attendees warning that they might have been exposed.  I don't think that would be very useful.