Author Topic: NYCC Random chat  (Read 80850 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
NYCC Random chat
« on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:56 AM »
As the title says... random ideas, thoughts or observations

Like I don’t think I’m going to be able to attend nycc this year. /sigh/
After the move to San Diego, the finances just are not there for a trip back east.

If so, I’ll have to live vicariously- who’s planing on going?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: NYCC Random chat
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »
I'm going, as usual.  I got approved again for a Professionals badge.

I have to admit that because NYCC is my "home" con, I don't get as excited for it as I do going to San Diego.  I don't get a hotel and just take the LIRR from home every day.

So far, I've only put in for taking Thursday off from work.  That's the least crowded day and best day to explore the exhibition hall, IMO.  Whether I add Friday as a day off will depend on whether there are any "must see" panels that day.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:15:20 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:05:13 AM »
I'll be going, because the weird work circumstances that allowed me to attend in 2015 happened again. If you decide to go and need a roomie, Alyssa, you can stay with me.

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
We're going! Last year was our first time. It was a last minute decision to buy Thursday badges since those were still available, and then did touristy stuff the other days. Actually, we ended up chasing around that Westworld offsite a couple of mornings, haha. This year (after being rejected for Press again) we were able to plan ahead and get all 4 days. We're actually staying out in NJ to save money. $115/night vs $300/night really helps!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
I'm going again this year and so far have only Friday and Saturday.  The two panels that always interest me are Marvel Netflix and Archer. 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll be going, because the weird work circumstances that allowed me to attend in 2015 happened again. If you decide to go and need a roomie, Alyssa, you can stay with me.
that is sweet, thank u tj.
I should decided that soon- but i don't even know what i'm doing this weekend LOL -

..We're actually staying out in NJ to save money. $115/night vs $300/night really helps!
I always stayed in Jersy- union city to be exact- there's a 24 hr shuttle bus that goes from union city to Port Authority for $3, 20 min tops ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:53:05 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
    • Gender Biased Reviews
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:30:42 AM »
We are staying in Secaucus, in the same area of hotels where we stayed last year, also taking the bus to Port Authority. :) It worked out so well last year that we decided to do the same thing this year.

During SDCC, I bought the 13th Doctor cosplay outfit from Her Universe at the last minute on Preview Night and cosplayed as 13 the next day for the Doctor Who panel. So I was excited to see that David Tennant is on the guest list for NYCC! We don't usually pay for photo ops (the only one we've ever done is a group photo with Stan Lee a few years ago, back when it was "only" $80), but I definitely want to get one with him while cosplaying as 13! My husband wants to get in on this photo op too and cosplay as either 10 or 11. We're kinda hoping that Jodie Whittaker is announced for NYCC so we can get a duo photo op! I mean, the new season is supposed to premiere in the fall, so it's possible, right? :D 

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »
I'm going! NYCC is my "working con" because I'm the only person from the blog who attends, so I'm usually drowning in press rooms. It's always a lot of fun, though!
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm going for the first time! Friday/Saturday. I'll be flying into Philly to meet up with my friends who live there, then taking the train in for the Con.

I actually just got back from an NYC trip (to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child), so it's exciting to be going back so soon!

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
I'll be there. I'm there every year and for all 4 days. Last year I tried soo hard to get one of those Westworld hats. They closed line 3 people ahead of me on Sunday. (But I did find the store that makes those hats). I live in Brooklyn, so I just hop on the F/B/Q train and transfer to the 7 at 42nd Street, but still quite far away since it takes me about 75-80 minutes on the train. Living in New York isn't quite soo glamorous for me.   :-[
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline UndertheCapes

• Sails Pavilion
    • Under the Capes
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
I actually just got back from an NYC trip (to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child), so it's exciting to be going back so soon!

I just got back from seeing Cursed Child this past weekend! It was so good

You'll be missed Alyssa! This will be my second year at NYCC, and last year I only got Fri-Sat so I'm excited to hit all 4 days. Waiting for the schedule to drop so I can figure out when I'll be coming in Thursday.

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
    • Gender Biased Reviews
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
I just got back from seeing Cursed Child this past weekend! It was so good

You'll be missed Alyssa! This will be my second year at NYCC, and last year I only got Fri-Sat so I'm excited to hit all 4 days. Waiting for the schedule to drop so I can figure out when I'll be coming in Thursday.

Ahhh, I am trying to figure out what show we want to see while we're in NYC for NYCC, and I'm debating whether or not to splurge on Harry Potter! It's not only expensive, since you have to pay for both parts, but also a large time commitment. Also, while I like the Harry Potter universe, I'm not a die hard Harry Potter fan. Like, I didn't grow up with Harry Potter, as I was a bit older when the books and movies came out, and never actually read the books or saw the movies until the past couple years because our younger friends, who are of the Harry Potter generation, kept saying we should. Anyway, I guess my question is, would you recommend the show/is it worth it for someone who is merely a casual fan?

Offline UndertheCapes

• Sails Pavilion
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Ahhh, I am trying to figure out what show we want to see while we're in NYC for NYCC, and I'm debating whether or not to splurge on Harry Potter! It's not only expensive, since you have to pay for both parts, but also a large time commitment. Also, while I like the Harry Potter universe, I'm not a die hard Harry Potter fan. Like, I didn't grow up with Harry Potter, as I was a bit older when the books and movies came out, and never actually read the books or saw the movies until the past couple years because our younger friends, who are of the Harry Potter generation, kept saying we should. Anyway, I guess my question is, would you recommend the show/is it worth it for someone who is merely a casual fan?

There were a few jokes/references that I think were appreciated a bit more by Harry Potter fans but I would definitely recommend it. It doesn't quite hold up as a completely separate story, it is very much a continuation of the series, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone with no knowledge of the story but you don't need to be a real die hard fan to enjoy it.

If you're there a day early there's a Wednesday two-part show that would be good, otherwise the time commitment is definitely a factor. I think you can do part 1 and 2 over Thurs & Fri night which wouldn't be too bad if you don't have anything NYCC related for the evenings.

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
    • Gender Biased Reviews
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
There were a few jokes/references that I think were appreciated a bit more by Harry Potter fans but I would definitely recommend it. It doesn't quite hold up as a completely separate story, it is very much a continuation of the series, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone with no knowledge of the story but you don't need to be a real die hard fan to enjoy it.

If you're there a day early there's a Wednesday two-part show that would be good, otherwise the time commitment is definitely a factor. I think you can do part 1 and 2 over Thurs & Fri night which wouldn't be too bad if you don't have anything NYCC related for the evenings.

Thanks for the input! I did end up reading all the books (including Cursed Child) and seeing all the movies, so I know the story. Yeah, we're getting in on Tues night, so I was thinking of doing the 2 parts on Wed. Since we don't know the NYCC schedule yet, I don't want to commit to anything on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights just in case there are panels we're interested in those nights. What were your seats like?

Offline UndertheCapes

• Sails Pavilion
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the input! I did end up reading all the books (including Cursed Child) and seeing all the movies, so I know the story. Yeah, we're getting in on Tues night, so I was thinking of doing the 2 parts on Wed. Since we don't know the NYCC schedule yet, I don't want to commit to anything on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights just in case there are panels we're interested in those nights. What were your seats like?

Awesome yea my group was 50/50 people who had read the script ahead of time. We were in the back of the Orchestra/main theater. It was actually a smaller theater than I expected so it didn't look like there was a bad seat in the house. 1-2 parts had some things floating up by balconies that we didn't have the best view of but it wasn't anything pivotal.