Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26609 times)

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nope. East coast for me and I was the first vote and I'm a senior and I'm not changing my vote.   :)

I'm going to express an opinion that may not be popular.  Things will start to open up in the next few weeks, because results will shift in favor of going that way.   I'm not saying this isn't serious.  I'm saying there will be more cases reported of people recovering.
How wrong can someone be. 100K+ cases now and that is without national testing. Estimates are 5 to 10 times that. I'm happy for you wanting to go, but please be responsible for once and quarantine yourself after you return.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
How wrong can someone be. 100K+ cases now and that is without national testing. Estimates are 5 to 10 times that.

We shall see.  :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
We shall see.  :)

I think the Orange Man is the only one that wants the country opened back up.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:04:41 PM by FlamedLiquid »

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
I think the Orange Man is the only one that wants the country opened back up.
And some people in this thread.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
There's a difference between wishing for things to open back up and being foolhardy enough  to ignore expert recommendations and open things back up before anything changes.

I think a lot of us on this board desperately WANT things to open back up or not get cancelled, but that doesn't mean we're going to casually gamble with everyone's health to make that happen. We're just hoping for a miracle, or for new information/cures/preventatives that make gathering possible again. You might think the chances of that are low, and you are entitled to your opinion, but please don't imply that those if us clinging to some optimism are stupid or uncaring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
There's a difference between wishing for things to open back up and being foolhardy enough  to ignore expert recommendations and open things back up before anything changes.

I think a lot of us on this board desperately WANT things to open back up or not get cancelled, but that doesn't mean we're going to casually gamble with everyone's health to make that happen. We're just hoping for a miracle, or for new information/cures/preventatives that make gathering possible again. You might think the chances of that are low, and you are entitled to your opinion, but please don't imply that those if us clinging to some optimism are stupid or uncaring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It would be a miracle to have a cure or vaccine available to everyone by July, and then maybe a superhero will swarm down and save us all.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
It would be a miracle to have a cure or vaccine available to everyone by July, and then maybe a superhero will swarm down and save us all.

Definitely not in the United States.  That's not happening by July.  We will be lucky to have a vaccine widely available to the public in 18 months and not just available to people in specific professions.

In some other places, that may be another matter.  In some parts of the world, large scale "field trials" happen early in the pipeline.  Many times it happens where the population doesn't even know they are being experimented on.  The laws relating to human experimentation aren't universally strong all over the world.  So drug companies and even the WHO go test where the laws are weak.

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
I can't bear to respond to idiots on FB who claim Covid-19 is no worse than the common cold, so I'm sharing some thoughts with the much smarter people here. :-)

My book club had a Zoom meeting on Friday, and we asked the two doctors in the group for their thoughts. They agreed that the biggest challenges right now are (1) the length of time between infection and the presentation of symptoms (5 days is apparently an extraordinarily long time, which is why so many people are infected) and (2) the fact that doctors have as yet no idea why some people present with very mild symptoms and others get very sick and die. If they had more data, they might be able to pinpoint the conditions that protect people from the worst case scenario (sort of like sickle-cell anemia protects people from malaria). They both stressed the need for antibody testing--these tests are being developed, but none are in use yet.

Although they agreed that vaccines are a long way out, they believe that something like Tamiflu to lessen the severity of the symptoms will be available much sooner--maybe even in a few months. I figured that might be some good news for the SDCC hopefuls on this thread (though I still think you should all stay home and stay safe so we can meet again next year!).

And of course, they also pointed out that had the government acted sooner on testing and medical supplies and had enacted a nation-wide lockdown, we would be in MUCH better shape right now.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Disneyworld announced today that they are once again taking reservations for June 1 and after.  For better or worse, if Disneyworld does reopen on June 1, I’d say that most other mass gatherings will resume, and SDCC will take place as planned in July.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Sounds right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Disneyworld announced today that they are once again taking reservations for June 1 and after.  For better or worse, if Disneyworld does reopen on June 1, I’d say that most other mass gatherings will resume, and SDCC will take place as planned in July.

I don't think you can take that as a sign of anything.  It's easy enough for them to cancel those reservations.

Shanghai Disney is still closed.  China is 2 months ahead of us on the curve.  They took extraordinary measures to get where they are.  We aren't taking those same measures.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128

Florida hasnt even issued a Stay at Home order yet. Also this is the state where people seem to not care about the virus and still gather in large groups on beaches.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Florida hasnt even issued a Stay at Home order yet. Also this is the state where people seem to not care about the virus and still gather in large groups on beaches.

All of the Disneyworld parks are located in Orange County which is under a stay at home order.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
All of the Disneyworld parks are located in Orange County which is under a stay at home order.
That’s DisneyLAND. Orange County, CA.

DisneyWORLD is in Osceola County, FL

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
That’s DisneyLAND. Orange County, CA.

DisneyWORLD is in Osceola County, FL

Disneyworld is in both Orange County, FL and Osceola County, FL, and both counties have issued stay at home orders.

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15