Author Topic: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?  (Read 11579 times)

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
Re: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
NOOOOO! I am from San Diego and that means a longer drive, more traffic (I hate LA traffic!), and more expensive hotels! Anaheim is just the right spot for Wondercon in SoCal.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(emphasis mine)

ANAHEIM — WonderCon’s organizers on Monday announced that the annual comic book, science fiction and pop culture convention will move to the Los Angeles Convention Center in 2016.

Conflicts with desired booking dates and available space at the Anaheim Convention Center fueled the move to Los Angeles, where the popular event will be held March 25-27, said David Glanzer, a spokesman for ComicCon: International, which organizes WonderCon.

WonderCon’s stays are based on yearly reviews, Glanzer said, and it was unclear whether the event will return to Anaheim in 2017: “We would certainly entertain coming back because Anaheim has been a great venue for us.”

WonderCon previously was in San Francisco, but renovations at that city’s convention center prompted organizers to move the event in 2012 to Anaheim in what was supposed to be a temporary switch.

More than 60,000 comic book fans — some dressed as favorite superheroes and villains — descended on Anaheim last weekend for WonderCon, the smaller version of the giant ComicCon convention held in San Diego.

City officials said that a planned 200,000-square-foot expansion of the Anaheim Convention Center didn’t have anything to do with WonderCon’s departure. Other convention bookings in Anaheim remain on schedule, city spokeswoman Ruth Ruiz said.

“It’s unfortunate, but we just couldn’t accommodate them for 2016,” said Tania Weinkle, a spokeswoman for the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau.

Officials with the bureau did not immediately know WonderCon’s economic impact on Anaheim. However, WonderCon’s organizers reported that that figure will be $32 million during its three-day stay in Los Angeles next year.

See also: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:51:59 AM by AzT »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:15:23 AM »

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »
If I were a San Diego resident, I think I would do the reverse of what I do to get to SDCC from LA - board the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from Santa Fe Depot, relax for 2 hours, get off at Union Station and then take the metro red line to 7th Street and either walk down to the con or connect to the metro blue line and get off at the Pico station then cross the street to the convention center. 

the Amtrak costs approximately $70 for round trip.  The Metro subway rail lines are 1.75 per ride with transfers within 2 hours for free.   

For hotels, I'd go a bit further north of downtown and try to book at either the Universal Hilton or Sheraton.  Both can be reached via the Metro Redline heading towards North Hollywood and is just 20 minutes away from downtown. 

No traffic, no parking fees, it doesn't get much better than that!

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
If I were a San Diego resident, I think I would do the reverse of what I do to get to SDCC from LA - board the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from Santa Fe Depot, relax for 2 hours, get off at Union Station and then take the metro red line to 7th Street and either walk down to the con or connect to the metro blue line and get off at the Pico station then cross the street to the convention center. 

the Amtrak costs approximately $70 for round trip.  The Metro subway rail lines are 1.75 per ride with transfers within 2 hours for free.   

For hotels, I'd go a bit further north of downtown and try to book at either the Universal Hilton or Sheraton.  Both can be reached via the Metro Redline heading towards North Hollywood and is just 20 minutes away from downtown. 

Well said! A lot of people in LA turn up their nose at the train/subway system, but it can actually be quite convenient when it goes where you need it to, like it does in this case.

Also, if anyone is flying into LAX, you can take the LAX Flyaway bus to Union Station for $8, and then take the red line from there.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 01:46:18 PM »

The train stuff is nice - but it costs about $50 to take a shuttle from my house to the San Diego train station (then back home again - total from my house to the San Diego train station and from the train station back to my house  $100!) - and that is on top of the train fare and a hotel bill for three days.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:28:22 PM by RSilvaConFan »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Well said! A lot of people in LA turn up their nose at the train/subway system, but it can actually be quite convenient when it goes where you need it to, like it does in this case.

^^^This. I’ve found LA’s subway (and buses) very useful when visiting. Downtown and the convention center are well served by the subway.

If I go, I'm thinking of taking Megabus/Boltbus down. It’s a 5 or 6 hour ride from the Bay Area and goes straight to Union Station, and roundtrip tickets usually run no more than $60. (If you get them as soon as the dates open up, you can get them for $1 each way! That’s becoming more and more difficult to do, though.)

Some people may have valid complaints about the convention moving to LA, but being difficult to get to isn’t one of them.

Also, if anyone is flying into LAX, you can take the LAX Flyaway bus to Union Station for $8, and then take the red line from there.

Or, you can head to the public transit lot and get downtown for $1.75. ;) Although, I’ll concede that it’s not as convenient as the Flyaway bus and takes longer.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline bettiebloodshed

• Gaming Lounge
    • My cosplay page!
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
I just...man. I am not a huge fan of The LA convention center. I'll still attend WC, but I'm less than pleased. There aren't a ton of hotels around, and while I do love the food truck set up they do in a nearby lot...it just always feels kinda...grimy the minute you get out of the convention center. There is the nice area around the Nokia (?) center, but there aren't a ton of restaurants that are affordable, either (I love me some Yard House, but some of my friends can't afford some of the pricer costs around there). I will admit parking isn't so bad, but *man* I'm just not looking forward to it.

WC has such a chill air--with the foliage and fountain, it almost feels resort-ish. Which LA Convention center definitely doesn't.
Owner of When Nerds Attack .com

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »

(emphasis mine)

ANAHEIM — WonderCon’s organizers on Monday announced that the annual comic book, science fiction and pop culture convention will move to the Los Angeles Convention Center in 2016.

Conflicts with desired booking dates and available space at the Anaheim Convention Center fueled the move to Los Angeles, where the popular event will be held March 25-27, said David Glanzer, a spokesman for ComicCon: International, which organizes WonderCon.

WonderCon’s stays are based on yearly reviews, Glanzer said, and it was unclear whether the event will return to Anaheim in 2017: “We would certainly entertain coming back because Anaheim has been a great venue for us.”

WonderCon previously was in San Francisco, but renovations at that city’s convention center prompted organizers to move the event in 2012 to Anaheim in what was supposed to be a temporary switch.

More than 60,000 comic book fans — some dressed as favorite superheroes and villains — descended on Anaheim last weekend for WonderCon, the smaller version of the giant ComicCon convention held in San Diego.

City officials said that a planned 200,000-square-foot expansion of the Anaheim Convention Center didn’t have anything to do with WonderCon’s departure. Other convention bookings in Anaheim remain on schedule, city spokeswoman Ruth Ruiz said.

“It’s unfortunate, but we just couldn’t accommodate them for 2016,” said Tania Weinkle, a spokeswoman for the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau.

Officials with the bureau did not immediately know WonderCon’s economic impact on Anaheim. However, WonderCon’s organizers reported that that figure will be $32 million during its three-day stay in Los Angeles next year.

See also: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No surprise. As I noted in my previous posts on this topic, I'm nothing putting anything past CCi anymore. I know that has a "negative" connotation, but I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic and will have no expectations and will just wait to see where it is and (probably) buy tickets and get the zip code to put in my weather app so I know what kind of clothes to bring/wear. SF, Anaheim, LA, Las Vegas, whatever ... just let me know. Oh and this is the same sentiment I have for SDCC or is it going to be ACC or LACC? I have to confess though, I won't mind at all if SDCC moves to Anaheim since that's more convenient for me!  ;)
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »

Exactly!  A lot of LA residents don't think much of the metro rail system but truth be told, it can take you to many, many points of interest.  I depend on it to get to work and it's served me well for years. 

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
Duh here is what I was going to post. That sounds like a great idea to stay in Universal and take the metro. Pico station looks like it's right across the LA convention center. This yr we played at Disney so next yr it looks like we'll play at universal studios

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
If they really wanted to devote a convention to mainly TV shows, placing it in late August or early September would be best because the shows would be able to promote their fall premiere. Also it's in their early days of shooting and their stars wouldn't be as tired to promote the show yet.

The networks don't mind July timing for Comic-con.  They hope exposure at Comic-con will turn people evangelists for the shows that are premiering afterwards. 

This year's Wondercon took place in early April and barely any TV shows showed up to promote their series finale. I don't think it's a coincidence that half of the shows that did panels like Salem, Falling Skies, and Orphan Black were there to promote their season premieres.

That makes sense.  If your season finale is approaching, it's a little too late to convert people to viewers.

Not sure why the studios couldn't be bothered to promote their summer blockbuster movies at Wondercon.

That does not make sense to me either.  But, a lot of studios are bowing out from SDCC too.

Offline Laminas92675

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
I'm going to miss Wonder Con being in Anaheim. I live in San Diego and travel to Anaheim for the convention. The past two years I've stayed at the Hilton. It was nice to be able to walk next door to my hotel if I wanted to drop some things off or just rest a bit in the room. There are a couple of hotels that are close to the LA convention center but it's not like staying at the Hilton or Marriott in Anaheim or even the Marriott Marquis in San Diego. The hotels downtown are also expensive and so is the parking. Last time I stayed in LA the parking was 40 dollars a day. It will be interesting to see what hotels will be on TP next year.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
I paid 20 bucks at the LA convention center when I was in for Comikaze in November, I bet prices are way up when the Clippers or Lakers are playing. Ohhh maybe not when the Lakers play....  O:-)

Last time I stayed in LA the parking was 40 dollars a day. It will be interesting to see what hotels will be on TP next year.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
LOL owwwch! A lot of my family are long-time Lakers fans. I don't even have to say anything to them these daysabout how horrible they've become. I just feel sorry for them!

Hopefully there aren't any major games scheduled for the same weekend as WonderCon 2016 (e.g. visiting teams that actually know how to win games ).
I paid 20 bucks at the LA convention center when I was in for Comikaze in November, I bet prices are way up when the Clippers or Lakers are playing. Ohhh maybe not when the Lakers play....  O:-)