Author Topic: Housing/Hotels.... NYCC Oct 7-10, 2021  (Read 3095 times)

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Housing/Hotels.... NYCC Oct 7-10, 2021
« on: July 13, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
I thought there was a separate hotel thread, but I can't find it. Anyway, I'm not attending NYCC, but wanted to give people a heads up - obviously, this past year was rough on NYC tourism. As a result, some hotels have closed, and in at least one case without notifying anyone. My sister had a hotel reservation cancelled for NYCC weekend (she wasn't planning on NYCC, it was for something else) after the hotel closed effective immediately in May. And I had a hotel reservation for September, and the hotel has apparently closed but hasn't actually cancelled reservations or even updated their website - Hilton still shows them as a hotel, you just can't book anything new. But all their phone numbers have been disconnected and their social media pages haven't updated since March 2020.

Anyway, all this to say - book multiple refundable hotels across multiple chains, and call a week out or so and make sure you talk to someone AT THE HOTEL to verify that they are open and will be open when you get there. The ONLY reason I found out that my September hotel had closed was because I went to check to see if the price had dropped and noticed that ALL dates were sold out for the next year. If I hadn't done that, I very well may have shown up in NYC in September and been greeted by a locked door.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: Housing/Hotels.... NYCC Oct 7-10, 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 08:43:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought there was a separate hotel thread, but I can't find it. Anyway, I'm not attending NYCC, but wanted to give people a heads up - obviously, this past year was rough on NYC tourism. As a result, some hotels have closed, and in at least one case without notifying anyone. My sister had a hotel reservation cancelled for NYCC weekend (she wasn't planning on NYCC, it was for something else) after the hotel closed effective immediately in May. And I had a hotel reservation for September, and the hotel has apparently closed but hasn't actually cancelled reservations or even updated their website - Hilton still shows them as a hotel, you just can't book anything new. But all their phone numbers have been disconnected and their social media pages haven't updated since March 2020.

Anyway, all this to say - book multiple refundable hotels across multiple chains, and call a week out or so and make sure you talk to someone AT THE HOTEL to verify that they are open and will be open when you get there. The ONLY reason I found out that my September hotel had closed was because I went to check to see if the price had dropped and noticed that ALL dates were sold out for the next year. If I hadn't done that, I very well may have shown up in NYC in September and been greeted by a locked door.

I booked a Hilton, which Hilton?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:25:56 AM »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 05:32:44 AM »
I was considering booking a hotel as I don't want to commute back to Queens on Saturday night.

Also, I know I keep suggesting this and it never happens but is anyone up for a meetup?  Is that Hudson food court still open? 

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 03:27:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I booked a Hilton, which Hilton?

The one my sister booked that actually notified her they closed was The Independent - Millennium Times Square. The hotel I booked that is being super shady is the Distrikt Hotel NYC