Author Topic: Which weekend in Nov for the unNamed CCI convention?  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Which weekend in Nov for the unNamed CCI convention?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 02:18:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If this Nov convention ends up being the weekend after Thanksgiving(Nov 26-28) wouldn't booths need to be setup a day or 2 before that? That would mean vendors would be setting things up on Thanksgiving day. Not good for them :(

Yup.  Vendors start setting up Tue am and it usually a race to get it all done before PVN starts for the usual show.  Teardown has to be done Sun night.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
Yeah that's a big ask for vendors then. Especially bc most of them probably haven't been able to see much family for a year either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:48:50 AM »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
“Homeless shelter set to leave San Diego Convention Center, now seen as vaccine site”

“The Convention Center soon could become a mass vaccination site ... The spacious building on Harbor Drive near downtown’s waterfront could be a drive-through vaccination site or possibly the county’s next super site, which could administer up to 5,000 shots a day.”

Also:

“Convention Center Chief Executive Rip Rippetoe said he was still awaiting state guidance on when operations could resume at the venue. No events are booked through the first half of the year.”
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 09:51:44 AM »
“The Convention Center soon could become a mass vaccination site ... The spacious building on Harbor Drive near downtown’s waterfront could be a drive-through vaccination site or possibly the county’s next super site, which could administer up to 5,000 shots a day.”

Unless they are shutting down Petco, that area will be a super super site.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 10:12:29 AM »
Yeah that's a big ask for vendors then. Especially bc most of them probably haven't been able to see much family for a year either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend before.

I don't think it has to be.  A lot of people have gotten plenty of family time in the last year.  Those who haven't due to distance, probably won't wait weeks or months for a holiday to do so.  They'll hit the road after being vaccinated.  Which is what people are already doing.

What every vendor hasn't been able to do is go to a con in the last year.  I've worked plenty of holidays.  Including Christmas eve business meetings.  A lot of hourly workers in big companies volunteer to work on holidays for holiday pay.  If you run a small business, there are no holidays.  Opportunity waits for no one.  If all goes well, plenty of people will be working this Thanksgiving to prepare for Black Friday.  Which will probably be pretty massive this year.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
Unless they are shutting down Petco, that area will be a super super site.
Well, baseball season (with fans) is quickly approaching so maybe that’s why the convention center is being looked at?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 10:45:56 AM »
Well, baseball season (with fans) is quickly approaching so maybe that’s why the convention center is being looked at?

Good point.  They'll need that parking lot back since many people will want to drive and not take public transportation.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Yup.  Vendors start setting up Tue am and it usually a race to get it all done before PVN starts for the usual show.  Teardown has to be done Sun night.
I remember back in the first years of PN, when a majority of the vendors weren't set up for PN yer!  [adult swim,] who had a much smaller booth BITD, was NEVER set up on PN back then; they'd have fun stuff like a "fishing hole" but were never ready to go for PN.  From what I recall, PN was mostly for the major exhibitors (studios, comic companies, toy manufacturers) while most of the smaller booths weren't quite ready yet

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »
Good point.  They'll need that parking lot back since many people will want to drive and not take public transportation.

either teh county supervisor or the mayor said Petco was going to be shut down soon for baseball. I don't think anything is booked in to the Convention center until the 'middle of the year'
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2021, 01:27:43 PM »
either teh county supervisor or the mayor said Petco was going to be shut down soon for baseball. I don't think anything is booked in to the Convention center until the 'middle of the year'
Yes, June 9th is the first date booked on the schedule: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »

Moving drive thru to a more sheltered spot would be a good thing.  Petco has been shutdown a couple of times at least due to weather.  I anticipate it will be shutdown again this week.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
Moving drive thru to a more sheltered spot would be a good thing.  Petco has been shutdown a couple of times at least due to weather.  I anticipate it will be shutdown again this week.
And with rain forecast Wed & Thurs of this month (and San Diego being within 'rainy season,' albeit is seems March & Feb. got confused and March decided to be the rainy month this year?), a more sheltered spot that wouldn't need closure due to rain or thunder & lightning seems prudent for awhile.  Obviously The Padres starting up complicates Petco as the long-term solution, but it feels like the county wouldn't necessarily need even the Convention Center for too much longer as a wide-distribution center (maybe through the spring/early summer)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
The first big convention since the pandemic is a go for June.  The World of Concrete with it's 60K attendees is on.  How that goes will probably set the tone for everything that follows.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2021, 11:19:16 AM »
The first big convention since the pandemic is a go for June.  The World of Concrete with it's 60K attendees is on.  How that goes will probably set the tone for everything that follows.
I am hoping for the best! *crosses fingers*

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »

Where? 
Phasers on Stun!!!