Author Topic: CCI 2015 Ace Parking  (Read 69385 times)

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
Re: CCI 2015 Ace Parking
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »
I'll never understand convenience fees. If you want $25 for a parking spot, just charge that. There's nothing convenient about a $15 spot turning into $25. And those are the cheap lots. Tailgate is $40 per day. With fees, that's $225 for the week. That's a comic con ticket. It's madness.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll never understand convenience fees. If you want $25 for a parking spot, just charge that. There's nothing convenient about a $15 spot turning into $25. And those are the cheap lots. Tailgate is $40 per day. With fees, that's $225 for the week. That's a comic con ticket. It's madness.

My understanding is that the Convention Center and Hilton regulate prices on those lots. The $15 goes to either CC or Hilton. The service fee is what goes to Ace. I'm not sure they're allowed to show the price as anything but what the convention center and the Hilton want to charge. Otherwise people who drive up to park without a reservation would be paying a 'lower price' than people who reserve ahead of time (not during the con, when it's all sold out, but the rest of the year) and it would be 'confusing'.

But yes, I would also prefer they just put it all together into one price, instead of this sneaky 'tacking on' like they do.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 08:21:23 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
I got my so sorry, no parking for you email.  Now what?  I can't imagine 4 days of comic con without parking!

If you have a vehicle you can drive to a nearby park & ride and take either the trolley or a city bus.  The trolley is reliable & affordable; while not as convenient as having your car within a five or ten minute walk, the trolley is a great alternative IMO.  I think all of the hotels through Comic-Con's service are on either a trolley or bus line, or VERY close driving distance to a stop or park & ride.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
Well, at least they decreased it some! I complained on their FB page, it was shady how they changed it like that just to gouge.

While it would be nice if they did lower the price a bit, it seems even shadier since this makes it obvious they jacked up prices solely to gouge SDCCI attendees.  Shameful...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
"Q: Why am I being charged a convenience fee?

A: Yes, we do our best to make pre-purchasing parking as easy as possible so that fans can reserve parking ahead of time online. The convenience fee covers resources spent on making this option available and include, web hosting, ticketing hardware, customer support, training, credit and debit card processing services, merchant fees, computer hardware and software, telephone lines, labor and more."

That's all fine & good, but doesn't explain why the "convenience fee" for SDCCI is 2-5 times MORE than the convenience fees during other times of the year (for example, convenience fee for Convention Center right now is $2.45 vs the $7 or $10 quoted by ACE for SDCCI week).  I get "convenience" = infrastructure, but the price gouging of Comic-Con attendees is not cool: especially the cheaper & more desirable lots having higher fees than the other lots.

Offline shavri

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #350 on: April 16, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
That's all fine & good, but doesn't explain why the "convenience fee" for SDCCI is 2-5 times MORE than the convenience fees during other times of the year (for example, convenience fee for Convention Center right now is $2.45 vs the $7 or $10 quoted by ACE for SDCCI week).  I get "convenience" = infrastructure, but the price gouging of Comic-Con attendees is not cool: especially the cheaper & more desirable lots having higher fees than the other lots.

So much this.  I think the difference in the fee structure between operated vs owned lots is really the damning evidence that they are out for a money grab.  They are using the exact same infrastructure to provide tickets (besides their email shenanigans) as last year, but somehow this year the operated lots (HBF and CC) have a higher convenience fee than the owned lots?  I've put in an email to the CCI staff about the obvious gouging. I can't imagine the owners of the lots would be happy knowing that they are attempting to regulate the cost for attendees just to find out ACE is tacking on extra cost to park at just those particular lots.  I know CCI is completely unrelated from the parking sale, but they've been concerned with obvious price gouging in the past.  Hopefully they can bring more pressure to bear on ACE before the start of the actual sale.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:24 AM »
Q: What are the operating hours for the lots?

Convention Center, Hilton Bayfront garage, Padres Parkade, Diamond View Towers: 5am — 2am

Horton Plaza, Tailgate Park, Triangle, MTS: 5am — 2am

707 Broadway: 4pm on Friday until 6am on Saturday. Saturday and Sunday 24 hours. No overnight camping

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
Q: What are the operating hours for the lots?

Convention Center, Hilton Bayfront garage, Padres Parkade, Diamond View Towers: 5am — 2am

Horton Plaza, Tailgate Park, Triangle, MTS: 5am — 2am

707 Broadway: 4pm on Friday until 6am on Saturday. Saturday and Sunday 24 hours. No overnight camping

This is great news, and looks to be a significant change from previous years when Convention Center was the only lot open at 5!

Offline KatDancer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
When you stay in a hotel which offers parking (for example, the Hilton Bayfront), how many cars per room can you park?  I would expect a "Twin" room ought to be allowed to park two cars but it would not surprise me if they only permit one car per room.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
This is great news, and looks to be a significant change from previous years when Convention Center was the only lot open at 5!
An Ace tweet responded to a request to post times before the first sale and sdccblog mentioned the times were up.

What stirs up now from this tweet?  Is SDCC making statements out there??

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
An Ace tweet responded to a request to post times before the first sale and sdccblog mentioned the times were up.

What stirs up now from this tweet?  Is SDCC making statements out there??

Still silent:

[Interesting to note this recent update from their FB page though, perhaps preparing for a haterade storm of some sort:

Community Guidelines

This is the official Facebook page for Comic-Con International, a comics convention held annually in San Diego. Here we will share updates and information about Comic-Con and our affiliated conventions and events. Additional information can be found on our website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

In an effort to create a more friendly online experience, we have introduced the following community guidelines.

It is important to note that postings to our page are not representative of the opinions of Comic-Con International, nor can we confirm their accuracy.

Users shall not post content that falls into the following categories, and Comic-Con International reserves the right to remove postings that are:
-      Abusive, defamatory, offensive or use foul language
-      Trolling, harassing or off topic content
-      Spam or click bait
-      Commercial Solicitations
-      Personal Promotion, this includes crowd funding links.

Please understand we reserve the right to remove any comments that are inappropriate, offensive or contain external links.

We recommend you use our contact form on our website to get in touch: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.]

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
500 and 800 spaces would give 'good' parking to Group 1 and most of Group 2. Not as much as 'first 3 groups' like they claimed originally.

Offline dunkaroos

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
When you stay in a hotel which offers parking (for example, the Hilton Bayfront), how many cars per room can you park?  I would expect a "Twin" room ought to be allowed to park two cars but it would not surprise me if they only permit one car per room.

In the past you have been allowed to park more than one car (I've only ever brought 2) but the discounted* parking rate only applied to the first car.

*It was discounted from the regular self-park rate by a whopping $3

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
500 and 800 spaces would give 'good' parking to Group 1 and most of Group 2. Not as much as 'first 3 groups' like they claimed originally.
I thought each group was 500 people each.
So Groups 1 and 2 would be covered, and there would be a decent amount left for Group 3.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
I thought each group was 500 people each.
So Groups 1 and 2 would be covered, and there would be a decent amount left for Group 3.

Oops, yes, you're right. my math brain clearly isn't functioning today...  *hides*