Author Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance  (Read 1736 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
It drops on Friday but some of us saw the first episode in Hall H and I’m looking forward to the remainder. And also dreading because
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
This was everything I wanted it to be, holy crap. I stayed up until 3am watching this. THE ARTISTRY. SHEESH.

I thought I knew what to expect going in, considering the movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. They managed to inject a lot of hope into a story that should have felt hopeless. Then the ending can both tie into the film but also set up a second season.

Also, I just have to say that Simon Pegg was SO GOOD as Chamberlain. He sounded just like the original voice actor.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:14:33 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
Watched the original movie yesterday, which I hadn't seen probably since around when it came out. I had either forgotten, or just never appreciated how good it is.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
Wow.  Although it is a much more hopeful ending than I thought it would be, it still made me emotional

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Andy Samberg and Bill Hader were the perfect odd couple. Andy Samberg sounded exactly like someone who has spent too long in isolation with only the most annoying person in the world for companionship

Simon Pegg nailed the voice, right down to the mmmmmmmmmm.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »
I _just_ finished watching the original 1982 movie (I saw it once as a kid but had zero recollection of it). Time to watch Age of Resistance!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
Btw, if any of you plan to be in NYC in the next 5-6 months, I would suggest making a detour to the Museum of Moving Images.  They have a Dark Crystal exhibition up, in addition to their permanent Henson exhibition. I had no idea the Skeksis puppets were that huge

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 05:22:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Btw, if any of you plan to be in NYC in the next 5-6 months, I would suggest making a detour to the Museum of Moving Images.  They have a Dark Crystal exhibition up, in addition to their permanent Henson exhibition. I had no idea the Skeksis puppets were that huge

How big would you guess?

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »
Some of you are getting close to spoilers! Maybe put a spoiler alert out! lol.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 04:11:39 AM »
How big would you guess?

I’d say about 4’8”. I think the Jen and Kira puppets were about 3 feet tall. Here’s a pic from last year

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:20:09 AM by rabbitwarren »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 07:42:28 AM »
Have you guys watched the Netflix documentary on the making of the series? People literally wore the Skeksis puppets! Crazy! I have The Visual History of the movie and the Skeksis were originally supposed to be the size of the Gelfling but the Mystics were bigger so they made the Skeksis bigger.

Andy Samberg and Bill Hader were the perfect odd couple. Andy Samberg sounded exactly like someone who has spent too long in isolation with only the most annoying person in the world for companionship

They were my favorite honestly. Plus their puppet show was extremely well done.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 08:13:39 AM »
Have you guys watched the Netflix documentary on the making of the series? People literally wore the Skeksis puppets! Crazy! I have The Visual History of the movie and the Skeksis were originally supposed to be the size of the Gelfling but the Mystics were bigger so they made the Skeksis bigger.

Here's an interview with Louise Gold, a longtime Henson collaborator and the Gourmand in both the original movie and the series, where she talks about the physical requirements.  Loved her reaction when they said she wouldn't have to wear the puppet. 

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
I'm up through episode six (saw the first episode in Hall H back in July) and really enjoying it, on its own merits and for the big dose of happy childhood nostalgia I'm getting...  We can't get Jim Henson back, but a return to a world he created feels wonderful.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
I actually ended up buying the Joey Lee books. It’s basically like the Star Wars EU novels in that they’re not canon but the writers of the show used it as a jumping off point. Most of the characters in the show were in the books but the core trio changed. The books focus  on Naia, Kylan and the yet to be introduced Amri. Certain things from the books stayed in the show (like Seladon’s story) some were cut (like Amri) and some were vaguely referenced (like Tavra and Onica’s relationship) but seemed to be cut in the interest of time.  Even though it’s not canon, I’d still read the books as a companion piece

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 05:20:37 AM »
Did anyone go to the talk at the Museum of Moving Image with Cheryl Henson, Javier Grillo-Marxuach and the two puppeteers? The event was a lot of fun. The panel itself was short but you could talk to them in the lobby. Javier also talked a little about Lost and how they initially wanted it to be because Walt was conjuring it.

They had a LARP too. It was definitely fun.