Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63584 times)

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »
Read an article on CNN.com about the virus lingering around until early next year and Facebook cancelling an upcoming 5000 attendee marketing conference in San Francisco raised my concern about SDCC getting cancelled or scaled back. Thoughts?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »
 All I have to say is... ??? ??? ???
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:06:56 AM »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
Nah. Even with a few convention cancellations, I don't feel that SDCC or WC will be cancelled.

Maybe they will take precautions like some other conventions, like not allowing anyone from China or taking temps of everyone.

Even though the coronavirus has been located here in San Diego, it was contained.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
Unless it is apocalyptic-scale, SDCC 2020 will go as scheduled and everything will be just fine. Personally, I'm more worried about the flu than the coronavirus here in the US, as of this writing.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
from what i have been able to gather, while coronavirus may be super contagious, it's not particularly deadly.
i think the issue is primarily that infected folks are contagious before they show symptions
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
The normal flu is more deadly than the coronavirus. Unless you're in poor health already or have an infant a normal person shouldn't really be worried about it.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
from what i have been able to gather, while coronavirus may be super contagious, it's not particularly deadly.
i think the issue is primarily that infected folks are contagious before they show symptions

This. I think the two week incubation period is also a big factor here so we are probably seeing a lot of cases where ppl were affected very early on.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
It's the flu. Flu season ends around May. It will all be over well before SDCC begins.

Coincidentally, my husband and I had booked a 2021 trip to China about a week before Coronavirus was all over the news. The organizers already cancelled the 2020 trip. But we're fairly confident that Coronavirus will run its course and be finished long before our trip next year. In fact, we might be 'safer', because these mutated viruses seem to come no more frequently than every decade.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
I think if the coronavirus is still a big epidemic (or even bigger) in China by July, the US might start banning flights from China before that happens. So I think we'll generally be safe. Always consistently wash your hands of course to help decrease your risk and don't touch your nose/eyes. If someone sitting close to you in panels is clearly sick and is sneezing/coughing, I would probably switch seats just in case.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
Unless there's a drastic change, I expect SDCC to post a policy similar to what Reed Exhibitions did last week for C2E2.

Novel coronavirus: information for our customers
London, February 10th 2020

In light of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan city and Hubei Province in mainland China, we continue to monitor developments closely.

Our events will run as scheduled
To ensure that our customers and our people have the latest information, we are following the latest guidance from local and national authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) as it relates to travel to and participation in our events.

We are also working with authorities and our venues to put contingency plans in place as the situation develops.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team.

Information about the virus

A coronavirus is a type of virus which, as a group, are common across the world. Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia, causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.

Wuhan coronavirus has been termed “novel” because it is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China.

Protect yourselves

The World Health Organisation’s standard recommendations for the general public to reduce exposure to and transmission of a range of illnesses are as follows, which include hand and respiratory hygiene, and safe food practices:

Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw tissue away immediately and wash hands;
Avoid close contact with anyone who has fever and cough;
If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider;
When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals; and
The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, in accordance with good food safety practices.

Advice for travellers from Wuhan

If you have returned from Wuhan or Hubei Province in the last 14 days:

Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with other flu viruses;
Call your local healthcare provider to advise of your recent travel to the affected area.
Please follow this advice even if you do not have symptoms of the virus.

What this means in practice

You should take simple, common-sense steps to avoid close contact with other people as much as possible (as you would with other flu viruses).

This means remaining at home for 14 days after arriving from Wuhan or Hubei Province and not going to work, school or public areas.

For more information please refer to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as well as updates from your local or national authorities or contact your Event Customer Services Team.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:03:29 PM »
I think if the coronavirus is still a big epidemic (or even bigger) in China by July, the US might start banning flights from China before that happens. So I think we'll generally be safe. Always consistently wash your hands of course to help decrease your risk and don't touch your nose/eyes. If someone sitting close to you in panels is clearly sick and is sneezing/coughing, I would probably switch seats just in case.

That already happened 2 weeks ago.  The major US airlines stopped direct flights between China and the US.  The remaining flights are being diverted to 5 airports for enhanced screening.  I think screening does more good than stopping the direct flights.  Since nothing stops someone from flying to a third country from China and then onto the US from there.  That's not a direct flight and thus not stopped or diverted.

As for trying to keep from catching anything, people do that every year to keep from getting conflu.  Quite often, people fail.  Someone doesn't have to be sneezing or coughing to pass something to you.  Just breathing does that.  It's especially a problem with novel corona since unlike many other respiratory illnesses, it's contagious before any symptoms appear.

I don't think they will cancel comic-con because that should fall right into the lull between the two outbreak waves.  I think the big impact will be on international attendees.  If the current rules are still in effect, some may not be able to get into the US.

It's the flu. Flu season ends around May. It will all be over well before SDCC begins.

Coincidentally, my husband and I had booked a 2021 trip to China about a week before Coronavirus was all over the news. The organizers already cancelled the 2020 trip. But we're fairly confident that Coronavirus will run its course and be finished long before our trip next year. In fact, we might be 'safer', because these mutated viruses seem to come no more frequently than every decade.

It seems to be pretty much another disease in the mold of the flu.  It's not unusually deadly or infectious.  Maybe slightly worse than the flu in both regards.  The reason people are taking it so seriously is that over 500,000 people die from the flu every year.  If we had the chance to stamped that out when it first happened, we would have.  So that's why China is taking it so seriously.  It's the chance to stamp out something that could kill half a million people every year if we grow to accept it like the flu.  People tend to think of the flu as just a bad cold.  The reality is that the flu is a killer.  We are just use to it.  Like we are used to even more people dying in car accidents every year.

There are more outbreaks than once a decade.  Offhand in the 10 years or so there was SARS, MERS and H1N1.  There were probably more that just didn't break out sufficiently to make the news.  I've gotten one of those mysterious Chinese flus while wandering in the mountains in Western China.  It completely wiped me out for a couple of weeks.  Other than being constantly short of breath, I didn't have any other respiratory symptoms.  No coughing or sneezing.  Just a very high fever but with no sweating at all.  I thought it might be malaria but the hospital confirmed it wasn't.  Viruses tend to have small outbreaks years before a big one hits.  Not every virus has a big outbreak.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:34:04 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
During the con please please please wash wash wash your hands!!!
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »
During the con please please please wash wash wash your hands!!!

Not just during the Con but yes, please be especially mindful of what you're touching and whether you've washed your hands during events like SDCC!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
I don't see them cancelling SDCC (or any other North American comic conventions, for that matter). Most of the events being cancelled are global and/or tech events...many tech companies have a big presence in China and a lack of Chinese presence at these conferences will be felt. But comic cons are largely local events, even SDCC (despite the "I" standing for "International.") Nearly all the vendors are domestic, and the attendees are still hyper-local.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:17 AM »
That already happened 2 weeks ago.  The major US airlines stopped direct flights between China and the US.  The remaining flights are being diverted to 5 airports for enhanced screening.  I think screening does more good than stopping the direct flights.  Since nothing stops someone from flying to a third country from China and then onto the US from there.  That's not a direct flight and thus not stopped or diverted.

I was reading on reddit that not all airports are doing screenings, even the Taiwanese airport in Taipei. Kind of scary. We were thinking of going to Europe this year for vacation but after reading about how there's a big increase in coronavirus cases in Italy of all places, I guess we should delay our plans for next year.

I don't see them cancelling SDCC (or any other North American comic conventions, for that matter). Most of the events being cancelled are global and/or tech events...many tech companies have a big presence in China and a lack of Chinese presence at these conferences will be felt. But comic cons are largely local events, even SDCC (despite the "I" standing for "International.") Nearly all the vendors are domestic, and the attendees are still hyper-local.

I don't worry about SDCC since it's still several months down the line but I am sort of concerned about the upcoming Wondercon. There were a bunch of big tech conferences scheduled at the Moscone Center in San Francisco this month that were cancelled, including one for Facebook. I don't get the impression Facebook is used in China so I'm not sure why the lack of Chinese presence would matter. Is there less a risk of catching the virus in Anaheim vs San Francisco?