Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63584 times)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #510 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mail voting is available to all Americans.  The existing laws and infrastructure are already there.  Making everyone a mandatory mail in voter would be a relatively simple thing to do.  I am already a mandatory mail voter.  Many people are.  If I want to vote in person, that's a hassle.

Exactly.  It IS a hassle.  It is a hassle that will keep people from voting.  We have a president who lost the popular vote.  We have a Senate where the majority party represents 44% of the US population.  When majority rule is not in your favor, you do not want to make it easy for everyone to vote.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #511 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »

To our amazing Comic-Con and WonderCon fans: We understand how difficult the current climate has been for all of us and appreciate your continued support through these trying times. No one is as hopeful as we are that we will be able to celebrate #SDCC2020 together come July.

As we continue to monitor the situation with local authorities, we will post updates on our social channels! Until then, remember: “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” — Christopher Reeve

At least they're not saying "we are in close contact with local and state officials and we will follow guidelines as set forth by the CDC ..."  From what I've seen, when cons start saying that, that's the first in a series of announcements that ends with "we're postponing/canceling the event."

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 03:31:23 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #512 on: April 01, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
I applaud their optimism but man...

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #513 on: April 01, 2020, 01:36:12 PM »
CCI just tweeted:

To our amazing Comic-Con and WonderCon fans: We understand how difficult the current climate has been for all of us and appreciate your continued support through these trying times. No one is as hopeful as we are that we will be able to celebrate #SDCC2020 together come July.

As we continue to monitor the situation with local authorities, we will post updates on our social channels! Until then, remember: “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” — Christopher Reeve

So basically nothing has changed.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #514 on: April 01, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »
Exactly.  It IS a hassle.  It is a hassle that will keep people from voting.  We have a president who lost the popular vote.  We have a Senate where the majority party represents 44% of the US population.  When majority rule is not in your favor, you do not want to make it easy for everyone to vote.

No.  You misinterpreted my statement.  It's a hassle for me because I'm a mandatory mail voter.  If I wasn't a mail voter, it would be easy.  The hassle is when a mandatory mail voter tries to vote in person at a poll.  The problem starts with my name not being on the rolls of any polling place, then it goes downhill from there.  It's possible, just not easy.

It's not a hassle to vote in person at a poll, it's a hassle trying to vote in person when you are a mandatory mail voter.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #515 on: April 01, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
The twitter response is also now on their facebook page.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #516 on: April 01, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »
1). That doesn't change my thinking that they'll want everything back to normal by October.  The state of the economy frequently plays into elections.  If we're still shutdown with millions unemployed leading up to the election, that could adversely factor into how people vote.  But if people are back to being employed and the stock market is climbing again -- yay status quo!

2). Mandatory mail in voting would not happen.  The election would get called off before that happens.  There have been ... suggestions ... that making it easier for people to vote favors one party over another.  I'll let you guess which way.

Note:  I'm not stating an opinion on the best course of action.  This is just my thinking based on the cynicism that comes from having lived right outside of DC my whole life.

I don't think it's possible to stop the election, even martial law. It's the states that hold the elections so I'm pretty sure all blue states and some purple states will hold their elections regardless of what the federal government wants to do. If there are no elections, it'll be the House majority leader who becomes president in Jan. 2021.

I agree that mail-in voting won't be mandatory in every state. It doesn't really need to be, though. We just need the blue and purple states to at least allow mail-in voting.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #517 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:06 PM »
The San Diego Fair released a statement:

Many of you are wondering if San Diego will have a Fair this summer, and we can tell you that if it is safe to do so, we'll be here to host it! Governor Newsom's directives postponing mass gatherings have not yet extended through June, and for this reason we have not cancelled or rescheduled the San Diego County Fair. We will continue to work with the Governor's office and the California Department of Food & Agriculture to determine our future course of action. The Governor is dedicated to keeping the public safe, and we believe he will reopen mass gatherings – including our Fair – only when it is safe to do so.

(June 5-July 5)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #518 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:55 PM »
No idea what CCI will do, but I can say that here in the Milwaukee area large events going into July are already being cancelled or postponed.  Generally, our lakefront festival grounds serve as a central point for summer festivities.  So far -

Pridefest - June 4-7 postponed TBD  attendance ~45,000
Polish Fest - June 12-14 postponed TBD attendance ~35,000
Summerfest - June 25-July 5 postponed to 3 weekends in September attendance ~800,000
Festa Italiana - July 14-17 cancelled attendance ~100,000

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #519 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
Governor in Michigan just claimed a State of Emergency until June 9th.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #520 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
The comments for yesterday's tweet are a little more against CCI moving forward then I thought they would be.  It seems a lot of people feel it should be postponed to 2021 and badges rolled over. 

I feel like I have whiplash from ECCC.  On March 7th they said it was happening and March 8th it was canceled.

IMO: Still to early to know!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #521 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:31 AM »
HeroesCon hasn't announced anything either and that one is in June. It's all interesting and a bit frustrating to watch.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #522 on: April 02, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »
And MegaCon Orlando postponed TO the first weekend in June.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #523 on: April 02, 2020, 08:25:09 AM »
The comments for yesterday's tweet are a little more against CCI moving forward then I thought they would be.  It seems a lot of people feel it should be postponed to 2021 and badges rolled over. 

I feel like I have whiplash from ECCC.  On March 7th they said it was happening and March 8th it was canceled.

IMO: Still to early to know!
I thought the tweet was more leaning to moving forward with SDCC. They are now saying the peak will not happen until June-July. We need to stay home until the curve is at zero. SDCC would be a petri dish for this virus.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #524 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
I thought the tweet was more leaning to moving forward with SDCC. They are now saying the peak will not happen until June-July. We need to stay home until the curve is at zero. SDCC would be a petri dish for this virus.
True

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk