Author Topic: Panel Speculation for 2020 SDCC  (Read 11182 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Re: Panel Speculation for 2020 SDCC
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
I heard Disney Plus is planning an offsite but it doesn't confirm whether they'll have a panel. 

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 11:31:06 AM »
Looking at upcoming movie release dates here are some of the things I think we are going to get in Hall H this year:

Bob's Burgers - while movie would have just come out they usually come so assuming we will get some cool movie related stuff
Morbius - I can't imagine Sony not hyping this up right before the movie coming out
Infinite - Mark Wahlberg Sci Fi in August from Paramount which has been coming regularly
The King's Man  -  Kingsman has come in past with rave reviews
Venom 2 - Sony brought Hardy for 1st one and it made a TON of cash, how awesome would a morbius/venom block be
Snake Eyes - Distributed by Paramount so I think good chance it will be there on Thur with Infinite
Godzilla vs Kong - As long as WB follows up on their promise to come back think this will definitely be part of their panel
The Tomorrow War - Another paramount Sci-fi with Yvonne Strahovski & Chris Pratt that seems to fit Hall H perfect
Dune - Think this will be WB's other non-superhero offering in their panel
Eternals/Shang-Chi -  If Marvel comes back for 2020..............
Mortal Kombat - Another WB offering that might need a SDCC push
Rumble - Very fun sounding animated movie from Paramount
Batman - If WB is coming back this has to be their big splash, right??

Bill & Ted, Monster Hunter, Samaritan I think all would be awesome fits but don't think they will be there because of what studios have actually been coming last few years

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:26:49 PM »

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I heard Disney Plus is planning an offsite but it doesn't confirm whether they'll have a panel.
Man, hard to imagine them without a panel considering the success The Mandalorian. Hope they come.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
Man, hard to imagine them without a panel considering the success The Mandalorian. Hope they come.
Disney doesn't do panels too often at Comic-Con.  I suspect, though, for a property like "The Mandalorian," it would maybe be up to Lucasfilm (similar to Marvel Studios talking Disney+ programming during their panel in 2019), who hasn't had a Comic-Con panel since FORCE AWAKENS.  I wouldn't count on it, since the show doesn't need hype/publicity.  And once the Marvel series take off Disney+ likely won't have rampant cancels of the service, I suspect (meaning, Disney+ probably won't feel the need to promote).
You never know, though: that's one thing I love about this time of year - having fun speculating on what panels will play.  This time of year is like the start of a sport season, where the possibilities are endless! (unless you're a Cleveland fan, then you know your team will likely not win it all  :P )

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »
This may sound strange, yet I think Hallmark may show up with their lineup for 2020.  Mysteries and romance...leading up to their HUGE stack of holiday offerings. Plus, their flagship series When Calls The Heart and its new spinoff. They announced a new convention albeit last minute. Maybe the time is right for Hallmark to visit Hall H? ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline kmy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
This may sound strange, yet I think Hallmark may show up with their lineup for 2020.  Mysteries and romance...leading up to their HUGE stack of holiday offerings. Plus, their flagship series When Calls The Heart and its new spinoff. They announced a new convention albeit last minute. Maybe the time is right for Hallmark to visit Hall H? ::)
INTERESTING. I'm not a Hallmark watcher but I'd be intrigued to see who would be out there camping for this. And I do believe there would be campers!

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 06:07:44 AM »
I just nee Disney+ to have a set up where we can take photos with a Baby Yoda. That's all I need  ;D LOL

Offline IanCar

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
Looking at upcoming movie release dates here are some of the things I think we are going to get in Hall H this year:

Bob's Burgers - while movie would have just come out they usually come so assuming we will get some cool movie related stuff
Morbius - I can't imagine Sony not hyping this up right before the movie coming out
Infinite - Mark Wahlberg Sci Fi in August from Paramount which has been coming regularly
The King's Man  -  Kingsman has come in past with rave reviews
Venom 2 - Sony brought Hardy for 1st one and it made a TON of cash, how awesome would a morbius/venom block be
Snake Eyes - Distributed by Paramount so I think good chance it will be there on Thur with Infinite
Godzilla vs Kong - As long as WB follows up on their promise to come back think this will definitely be part of their panel
The Tomorrow War - Another paramount Sci-fi with Yvonne Strahovski & Chris Pratt that seems to fit Hall H perfect
Dune - Think this will be WB's other non-superhero offering in their panel
Eternals/Shang-Chi -  If Marvel comes back for 2020..............
Mortal Kombat - Another WB offering that might need a SDCC push
Rumble - Very fun sounding animated movie from Paramount
Batman - If WB is coming back this has to be their big splash, right??

Bill & Ted, Monster Hunter, Samaritan I think all would be awesome fits but don't think they will be there because of what studios have actually been coming last few years

Hoping for Bill & Ted, Keanu might already be at SDCC this year for Matrix 4 if WB comes back. Matrix 4 is expected May 2021.

A Morbius / Venom 2 panel would be cool.

I'm assuming Marvel is going this year and hoping they bring Spider-Man. So it would make sense if Sony shows up as well.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
Hoping for Bill & Ted, Keanu might already be at SDCC this year for Matrix 4 if WB comes back. Matrix 4 is expected May 2021.

A Morbius / Venom 2 panel would be cool.

I'm assuming Marvel is going this year and hoping they bring Spider-Man. So it would make sense if Sony shows up as well.
Marvel feels like a good bet.  I think with ENDGAME bringing their Avengers franchise to a close, they'll need a lot of buzz for their brand new properties.  We are all locked-in (or at least a lot of us, I should say) to the MCU regardless, but people like my parents, whom I consider the average moviegoers, will feel pretty much 'done' with MCU since ENDGAME felt like a final.  I think Marvel is going to have to really sell ETERNALS & SHANG-CHI to American audiences and that will start with the Comic-Con hype.  Both of those films are coming out between Comic-Con and summer 2021 along with the DOCTOR STRANGE sequel, which opens May 2021.  So Marvel has a big year, in addition to their Disney+ offerings (Falcon & The Winter Soldier; WandaVision come out 2020; Loki & Hawkeye 2021) that we currently don't know release timetables yet.  We know that at least some of these series are supposedly connected to upcoming Marvel films, it's possible they might be included in an MCU panel this year as well

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 08:27:19 AM »
The Disney+ Marvel shows will probably be part of the Marvel panel (like they were in 2019).  I would think Marvel will be there since they have a very busy 2021.
I don’t think you will see any of the Star Wars Disney+ series.  Celebration is in August this year, and with no movie to promote, Lucasfilm’s focus there will likely be on the upcoming streaming series.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
After seeing "Weathering with You" last night, I would like to see a panel with Makato Shinkai and/or some of the actors/tech folk from this movie.  The visuals were mesmerizing, and the story lovely.  It may gross more than the hit "Your Name".

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
The Disney+ Marvel shows will probably be part of the Marvel panel (like they were in 2019).  I would think Marvel will be there since they have a very busy 2021.
I don’t think you will see any of the Star Wars Disney+ series.  Celebration is in August this year, and with no movie to promote, Lucasfilm’s focus there will likely be on the upcoming streaming series.
Totally agree with all of this.  Lucasfilm just doesn't seem interested in huge Comic-Con panels with their own annual Celebration convention.  BITD Fridays were deemed 'Star Wars Day,' even promoted as such by CCI.  Even after the Revenge of the Sith panel when the films were seemingly done forever CCI still maintained 'Star Wars Day' for awhile with plenty of Lucasfilm programming for non-movie stuff.  I guess I haven't paid a ton of attention and dunno if there were smaller panels the last few years, but with the exception of the Exhibit Hall Lucasfilm doesn't seem that into Comic-Con.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
Totally agree with all of this.  Lucasfilm just doesn't seem interested in huge Comic-Con panels with their own annual Celebration convention.  BITD Fridays were deemed 'Star Wars Day,' even promoted as such by CCI.  Even after the Revenge of the Sith panel when the films were seemingly done forever CCI still maintained 'Star Wars Day' for awhile with plenty of Lucasfilm programming for non-movie stuff.  I guess I haven't paid a ton of attention and dunno if there were smaller panels the last few years, but with the exception of the Exhibit Hall Lucasfilm doesn't seem that into Comic-Con.

I have noticed a reduction in the number of Star Wars centric panels.  Several years ago, I did see a fantastic panel with people who were involved in the music of the 3 original films of SW.  This was one of my pop-in panels, and I was soooo happy I popped in.  Brilliantly talented folk!  Now I look for this classic stuff.  They ain't gettin' any younger, and who knows when they will be gone from our sight. Praise them now!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »
Since the trailer for it dropped today, I think the last big Star Wars panel was the 2018 panel for the new season of Clone Wars.  They were doing to do a Rise of Skywalker panel, but realized they couldn't top their 2015 panel so decided not to.  It's not surprising that Mandalorian skipped -- there was a panel at Celebration in April and it was going to be an important part of the Disney+ panel at D23, and it couldn't show much without giving away Baby Yoda.  But next year with Celebration being basically a month after SDCC, I just don't think there would be much additional to show at two cons so close together.

Offline WonderTwin93

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 07:24:31 AM »
With the Falcon and Winter Soldier release date moved up to August I could see Marvel doing a panel with the Disney + shows. If it was just the movies I think they'd skip it this year, but with the shows too and no D23 this year I think we'll see them back.