Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi series *spoilers*  (Read 3644 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Obi-Wan Kenobi series *spoilers*
« on: February 07, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »
Obi-Wan Kenobi series is the next live-action SW Disney+ series, although we still don't know when the series will premier/drop (rumor has it in May, and it's not lost on me that May 4th 2022 is a Wednesday, which is Disney's preferred release day of the week).  As a Southern CA music educator/performer I know a myriad of musicians who are frequently called in to do session work for TV shows & films. 
One such musician was in my school today (coaching some students), excited to tell me he's booked to do a 3 hr. session for Obi-Wan Kenobi series.

With John Williams.

It's my friend's understanding that the maestro John Williams himself is stepping up to compose and record a specific Obi-Wan theme, since the character never got his own theme in the films (weird to think in the prequels Obi-Wan never had his own theme, huh?!).  He did something similar for the Han Solo film, since our favorite rogue smuggler also never got his own theme in the the other films.  I was told this was a separate session than for the rest of the series, which will be scored by someone else (he thought it was a female composer, but he wasn't sure).  This session with John Williams is happening today.  I was told they'd record a main theme, and then several variations that will be used throughout the series as needed.

Anyway, I know we're a bit ways off from Kenobi dropping, but the fact that John Williams "coming out of SW retirement" for this theme is exciting news I wanted to share!

Also, FWIW, I heard some music for the new Orville that my friend also recorded, and it is GREAT: feels very John-Williams esque (I was told for the 1st episode alone they had two 6 hour recording sessions!)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi series *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 03:34:23 PM »
Very exciting musical news! Star Wars and The Orville? Oh, my....YES! Thank you so much for sharing!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:38:32 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 07:45:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Very exciting musical news! Star Wars and The Orville? Oh, my....YES! Thank you so much for sharing!

Don't forget about Firefly.  Disney is rebooting that series.  There's a rumor that it will be Firefly and Star Wars.  Firefly the ship will make a cameo in one of the Star Wars series.  There's precedence.  In the original Firefly Han Solo in carbonite was in a few scenes.  The Firefly ship was in a Star Wars comic.  Now that Disney owns both properties, why not?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 12:30:03 PM »
Don't forget about Firefly.  Disney is rebooting that series.  There's a rumor that it will be Firefly and Star Wars.  Firefly the ship will make a cameo in one of the Star Wars series.  There's precedence.  In the original Firefly Han Solo in carbonite was in a few scenes.  The Firefly ship was in a Star Wars comic.  Now that Disney owns both properties, why not?
Absolutely; add in 3-PO & RD in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, R2 in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS & Abrams' STAR TREK, Millennium Falcon (kind of) in STAR TREK: FIRST ENCOUNTER, and a plethora of different ships across mediums being repped in various SW films (the end battle in ROGUE ONE and the big end battle in RISE OF SKYWALKER), and it's not uncommon for other properties to have their own "cameos" in different 'universes' or time frames

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »
date's
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:00:25 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 03:53:41 PM »
Here; I should write for Variety!  :P You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
FWIW, I'll hopefully be able to answer this question I
t is not known if he has reprised that (the theme that's now commonly known as the Force theme from A NEW HOPE), or possibly a theme from the George Lucas-directed, Williams-scored prequels that featured McGregor (“The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones,” “Revenge of the Sith” from 1999-2005), or written an entirely new piece.
within the next few weeks.
FWIW my friend was under the impression it was an all new theme, though he wouldn't know for sure until he got to the studio and recorded the music.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:56:48 PM by perc2100 »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 05:00:02 PM »
and mark hammel weights in on the recasting of his character
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
and mark hammel weights in on the recasting of his character
Ha; dunno what he would say.  It's not like Mark can pass himself off as Luke-the-kid  :P

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 08:05:13 AM »
Old = not even feeling confident enough to stay up on a 'school night' until 10ish to watch the premier of Obi-Wan  :-\   :P

Looking forward to watching the first few eps after getting home from school today 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 03:40:56 PM »
I was able to watch the first 2 eps in the arena. The show is good, the seats are for crap especially after a long day ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
Old = not even feeling confident enough to stay up on a 'school night' until 10ish to watch the premier of Obi-Wan  :-\   :P

Looking forward to watching the first few eps after getting home from school today
Alright, after seeing both eps twice:

* Ewan McGregor once again reminds/confirms that he was absolutely one of the best things about the prequels: outstanding as Obi-Wan!  I've actually found myself missing his presence/vibe after all these years since REVENGE OF THE SITH
* the series kicking off with the opening scene it has almost immediately following the TX school shooting is indeed a tragic bit of happenstance
* the first dialogue scene, with the Grand Inquisitor in the bar hunting a Jedi, felt to me like a fun homage to the opening scene Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and I was grinning and chuckling like a dope
* the broad premise of this story is great, and the thought that there are Jedi still out there being hunted by their former colleagues is chilling. I know this is ground covered in Rebels, but still fascinating, fertile ground to explore
* Reva is the little youngling we see in the opening scene, right?
* how awesome is Leia in this?!?!
* Flea...dunno how I feel about this casting.  On one hand, every time he pops up in something over the decades it's amusing, but on the other hand...he's a great bass player, and a not-so-great actor.  He as amusing for a hot minute, but in a role a little too big for him to handle, IMO.  FWIW, if you want to see a legit good Flea acting role, check out the pre-Chili Peppers movie SUBURBIA where he essentially plays a version of himself as a punk rocker living in a pseudo-commune with out young punks (he's credited, IIRC, as 'Mike B the Flea')
* fun that McGregor's daughter had a cameo, especially acting opposite him.  When she says "I was someone's daughter once too," in regards to the SW version of human trafficking, it was both cute and sad. Nice moment with the father/daughter (wonder if we'll see the other McGregor kids turn up?)
* there were definitely some sketchy moments here execution-wise. There's a scene with Leia running from kidnappers, and the green dude runs into tree.  Conceptually, nothing wrong with that idea, but it's obvious that the actor runs into the tree really half-heartedly, and it seems like the intent was to add a cut for a stuntman to convincingly sprint into the tree and fall, but they 'forgot' to add that cut & shot.  Really confounding, and easily one of the worst shots in all of SW.
* Kumail Nanjiani role!!  Kumail is a fun actor, and he has some great moments in the second ep (and a nice mini character arc).  Not only is he entertaining as always, but it adds a fascinating layer in the post-Jedi SW universe.
* The world-building of this timeframe, in just 90 or so mins, is excellent: well-done by the creatives setting up this world of post-Sith/pre-ANH.  We've seen some aspects of this in animation, and a hyper-focused peak in SOLO, but there are a lot of interesting things going on here as far as damning of Jedi, the general populace seemingly having very mixed feelings about Jedi being defeated/"abandoning" them, etc.  I look forward to seeing how this develops
* I kinda dig how these first two eps are a mini-story with decent resolution.  After these two eps we know quite a bit about the 'world,' most of the main players (Vader hasn't been physically present, but he 'looms' over the proceedings - and obviously we know who he is), etc. but we don't really know where it's going.  That's a good thing, IMO!

Overall, far more good than bad.  McGregor will absolutely carry this show easily so the creatives behind the scenes have a substantial leg-up from Mandalorian (who had a relatively unknown star carrying it) and Book of Boba Fett (where, IMO, star Temuera Morrison isn't bad, per say, but he can't carry scenes on his own).  Before the first trailer dropped I wasn't sure what to expect regarding 'farmer Ben' creeping in on the Skywalkers, but this is a fabulous set-up.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out! 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 12:00:09 PM »
So through 3 episodes this series feels like a perpetual chase?  Not bad, and not complaining per say (well...maybe complaining a little about some clunky action scene editing if I'm being honest), but so far the plotting feels pretty meh.  I'm curious to see where this goes now that we're at the halfway point, but I think if this show weren't anchored by Ewen McGregor it would feel a lot worse.  Just my opinion...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 12:41:06 PM »
The sad thing is that the show is making news not because of the show itself, but because Moses who plays Third Sister has been getting a lot of racist hate.  It turns out a significant portion of Star Wars fans are racist.  So much so that the studio warned Moses to expect it.  Wookies are fine.  Baby Yoda is completely believable.  A person of color in Star Wars is not.  That's pathetic.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 12:55:48 PM »
The sad thing is that the show is making news not because of the show itself, but because Moses who plays Third Sister has been getting a lot of racist hate.  It turns out a significant portion of Star Wars fans are racist.  So much so that the studio warned Moses to expect it.  Wookies are fine.  Baby Yoda is completely believable.  A person of color in Star Wars is not.  That's pathetic.
it's easy to lump all detractors of Moses into the 'racist' group. However, some of her acting has been less then stellar. Just because some don't like her acting doesn't mean they're racist.
and before anyone jumps down my throat, i would say the same thing if a white guy delivered that same acting job. It is a hard role to play!

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 01:39:29 PM »
So through 3 episodes this series feels like a perpetual chase?  Not bad, and not complaining per say (well...maybe complaining a little about some clunky action scene editing if I'm being honest), but so far the plotting feels pretty meh.  I'm curious to see where this goes now that we're at the halfway point, but I think if this show weren't anchored by Ewen McGregor it would feel a lot worse.  Just my opinion...

I love the settings, it definitely gives good prequel vibes and I've always wanted to see more of that post episode 3 era between these characters.. but the moment (SPOILER) Leia got kidnapped for a 3rd time I was just getting the vibe that this would be another Grogu babysitting chase series. I'm tired of the new Disney SW formula of trying to appeal to OT fans while using this "side quest per episode" model. They have a chance to really improve on the prequel age themes that did succeed, similar to Filoni's TCW.. I just hope they don't let this chance go to waste.

That being said I do enjoy the series overall so far. I dont mind the casting choice for the Third Sister, but I do want to echo that her acting and dialog is actually so bad at times.. It feels like they're giving her Hayden Christensen levels of directing disservice by allowing such cringy delivery. Last episode was her best performance, I thought she really nailed her "evil" tone after that weird as heck voice raise she had with the other inquisitor at the start. I dont exactly understand how Obi Wan didn't get worse burns from being left in the fire.. nor do I understand how the Third Sister did not run into either person in that tunnel when beating Leia to the other side (my only theory is that she knew where it led and took a more direct route). I love this version of Vader, he's scary! Though I wish he was a bit less stiff.. I miss prequel lightsaber battles haha.