Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi series *spoilers*  (Read 3653 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi series *spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 01:23:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
it's easy to lump all detractors of Moses into the 'racist' group. However, some of her acting has been less then stellar. Just because some don't like her acting doesn't mean they're racist.
and before anyone jumps down my throat, i would say the same thing if a white guy delivered that same acting job. It is a hard role to play!

No one is lumping in all her detractors into the "racist" group.  Legitimate comments about her acting performance are not what's making news.  Comments directed at her that are "degrading racist insults, threats and slurs" are.  That is racist.  Air-quotes not needed.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 11:22:56 AM »
The sad thing is that the show is making news not because of the show itself, but because Moses who plays Third Sister has been getting a lot of racist hate.  It turns out a significant portion of Star Wars fans are racist.  So much so that the studio warned Moses to expect it.  Wookies are fine.  Baby Yoda is completely believable.  A person of color in Star Wars is not.  That's pathetic.
Yeah the nature of Star Wars fandom over the last decade has been alarming.  As an OG Star Wars fan seeing the films in theaters during their original theatrical run (I didn't see the original SW: ANH until it was re-released the summer after EMPIRE was released), I remember being a hard corps Star Wars fan meant I was being teased by my friends who were 'jocks' as being a nerd, or geek or whatever.  Nowadays Star Wars fandom since the sequels started getting released, are lumped in with racist, misogynist "gate keepers."  I'm more embarrassed now at times to be a SW fan than I was as a kid getting teased!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:01:38 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »
As an OG Star Wars fan seeing the films in theaters during their original theatrical run (I didn't see the original SW: ANH until it was re-released the summer after EMPIRE was released)

I saw EP4 when it was originally released in theaters.  I was so looking forward to it after being hyped for it from reading about it in Starlog.  It was a magical experience and the best movie I had seen until then.  This was all before videotape but they made "The Story of Star Wars" LP.  It was like a shorten version of the movie in story telling form.  I played that record over and over again.  I still have it.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 02:40:07 PM »
Personally, I don't think legitimate comments about her acting performance are what anyone should be discussing in the news.  It's disgusting that if someone doesn't like her acting it leads to racial attacks.  It's uncalled for and these people should be called out as being despicable human beings. 

If you don't like her performance don't watch.  While some people may want to talk about how they feel about her performance now is not the time, I say put it on the back burner and just support her as a human being. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 09:59:50 AM »
I saw EP4 when it was originally released in theaters.  I was so looking forward to it after being hyped for it from reading about it in Starlog.  It was a magical experience and the best movie I had seen until then.  This was all before videotape but they made "The Story of Star Wars" LP.  It was like a shorten version of the movie in story telling form.  I played that record over and over again.  I still have it.
Yes!!  I literally wore out my record version of this as a (little) kid and begged my parents to replace it so I could continue to 'relive' Star Wars (I had all three movie LP's and listened to them vociferously before the VHS tapes/VCR's were affordable).
One of the few birthday parties I ever had as a kid was one where a few of my best friends slept over at our house, my dead borrowed a VCR from one of my aunts, and rented the tapes to watch.  It was like I was a rock star with how hyped my friends were to watch the movies (we had SW and EMPIRE but not JEDI) and how special it was to watch Star Wars movies in our living room!

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 03:33:38 AM »
Just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. I tune out all the “hardcore” fans and enjoy it for what is, pretty darn good SW content. I still abhor the prequels but Ewan was definitely a shining light in that trilogy and I’m glad he’s getting another chance to be the character again.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2022, 01:08:43 PM »
I still abhor the prequels

I find this series is the closest in tone to the original trilogy.  Unlike the prequels and the sequels it feels like the original trilogy.  The recap of the prequels before the first episode actually made me want to watch them again.  Even though I hate the prequels.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »
I'm actually enjoying this series more than "The Book of Boba Fett". I don't know why anybody takes Twitter or Facebook seriously. Like writing on the bathroom wall.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
I'm actually enjoying this series more than "The Book of Boba Fett". I don't know why anybody takes Twitter or Facebook seriously. Like writing on the bathroom wall.
100% agree, and it's not even close for me.  BUT, I do think "The Mandalorian" is the current gold-standard for SW Disney+ series.  That _might_ have to do with the fact that I'm kinda over nostalgia: like, I'd rather see original characters in original situations in SW universe (or at least under-explored characters, such as the new "Andor" series that centers on him but really seems to be about the early days of the Rebellion).  I've really dug Mandalorian's mostly-original stories and situations that may wink at SW lore (like Beggar's Canyon, or whatnot) and making the universe feel larger.  Boba Fett to me feels more like a series that was green lit based on a popular character w/out much of a story to justify it.
Obi-Wan, feels like playing in the margins or characters and situations we're already familiar with, with mostly good results while _adding_ depth to a well-known character.  Of course, it benefits from great acting from the lead (which Mandalorian also benefits from, though Boba Fett suffers from a lead that can't quite carry a series on their own), and far more good than bad when it comes to story beats and execution.

That all being said, as far as my disdain for sheer nostalgia, good writing & acting & directing rules all: excellent execution rules the day, and I'm good with any of it.  Hell, I was _POSITIVE_ I'd really dislike MAVERICK because of its sheer nostalgia-grab factor, but because it's so well done the film won me over!

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 10:15:49 AM »
I’m excited for the last episode and see what they do. I’m hoping for one more Obi vs Vader scene but I have a feeling that little bamboozle move he pulled was the final encounter where he was still the Padawan and Obi was the master still. Awesome display of power though pulling that transport down.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 07:05:31 PM »
I’m excited for the last episode and see what they do. I’m hoping for one more Obi vs Vader scene but I have a feeling that little bamboozle move he pulled was the final encounter where he was still the Padawan and Obi was the master still. Awesome display of power though pulling that transport down.
Yeah, that was a cool touch: between this series & ROGUE ONE I love the "Wrath of Vader" stuff we've seen that truly paints him as the galaxy's ultimate BAMF!
I still don't know how I feel about this series, especially with only the finale left.  I suppose long-story-short there's enough good that (ever so slightly) outweighs the bad that I'm mostly digging this miniseries.  It feels like the 'twist' with Reva was telegraphed in the opening scenes of the series, but is still a good story which is all that ultimately matters (though I think her description of that day, and what she did to survive Order 66, is once again incredibly unfortunate timing with relatively current events and it's no surprise Disney+ put the 'trigger warning' before the episode).  Like I said before, I'm excited to get to Andor, back to Mandalorian, and other corners of the non-Skywalker SW universe (I know: Luke has featured in The Mandalorian/Boba Fett a couple of times, but that still feels quite a bit on the fringes of that overall story).

Also, lets give some big props to the anti-aging they did with Hayden Christensen!  It didn't _quite_ look right (ie Anakin still looked quite a bit too old in the 'flashbacks') but it looked 1) younger than Hayden looks nowadays and 2) less-fake than what Disney has done w/Luke Skywalker.  I know de-aging tech is FAR different from what they did with nearly-40 years ago-Mark Hamill face pasted on a double's body, but Anakin felt more organic than Luke has.  I really dig that the tech keeps improving with every iteration Disney has tried so far!

HAHAHAHA; I imagine Qui Gonn burning in his funeral pyre, trying to tell everyone "no: I'm not dead yet - I'm getting better!" Ala Monty Python  :P

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 10:27:31 PM »
So I don’t want to give anything away yet even though this is a spoilers topic but I’m very disappointed with the finale. Mostly only because there are no plans for more and it seems like there’s still some story to tell. I loved the rematch with Vader and Obi-Wan and a couple of great cameo spots. I just want more. Loved the visual at the end of the rematch fight also along with the voices.

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »
Watched the finale last night. Blah.

As one of those OG Star Wars fans (in 1976, I taped the movie preview ad from The NY Times on my wall - and my grandfather took me to see Star Wars in 70mm in Paramus, NJ when it was released), I’m finding that the stuff I enjoy most is when they pack less “fanservice” in, not more.

I loved Rogue One, because even though the “secret plans” from SW were the MacGuffin, we got brand new characters in the SW Universe to have an adventure with. Same goes for the first season of The Mandalorian.

I love Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, and Moses Ingram is great (did anyone else not love her in Queen’s Gambit?), but by the 4th episode, I basically gave up on caring about the story, because seemed like we (the fans) were just getting spoon fed stuff that the writers thought we wanted to see, as opposed to telling a story that was engaging and exciting.

Less backstory about accessories and more new characters. The Universe is robust and can handle non-Skywalker stuff. And if it’s good, I’ll bet we’ll all love it.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »
Some of the fan service was fine by me. I loved seeing obi wan and Vader going at it. Especially the way the finale fight ended. I hated the prequels and lots of things with the sequel trilogy. I loved Rogue One!  For me just seeing some Vader and obi wan action was all I needed. We already know how things end because of the og trilogy just like how we knew how rogue one would end. I just enjoy seeing Vader being the badass he’s supposed to be.