Author Topic: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check  (Read 11842 times)

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 96
Re: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
My mom and I both applied for Global Entry last summer. We had to renew our passports, since that is required for Global Entry, but it is definitely worth it! It gets you the benefits of TSA PreCheck and also the added benefit of skipping customs lines when re-entering the US for international travel. The only thing is, you have to plan out way in advance to get it done due the the lack of available appointments for the background check/interview. We live in the DFW area in Texas, and started the application process last July. The DFW airport did not have any appointments for interviews until February of this year. We ended up getting an appointment at the Houston airport in October one a day I had off and drove down to do it.

Flying w/the TSA PreCheck and/or Global Entry is the way to go!

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My mom and I both applied for Global Entry last summer. We had to renew our passports, since that is required for Global Entry, but it is definitely worth it! It gets you the benefits of TSA PreCheck and also the added benefit of skipping customs lines when re-entering the US for international travel. The only thing is, you have to plan out way in advance to get it done due the the lack of available appointments for the background check/interview. We live in the DFW area in Texas, and started the application process last July. The DFW airport did not have any appointments for interviews until February of this year. We ended up getting an appointment at the Houston airport in October one a day I had off and drove down to do it.

Flying w/the TSA PreCheck and/or Global Entry is the way to go!

I have had TSA Precheck for a year I do travel often and it has saved me many times. Last year returning from Comicon we got to bypass the long line for regular security. It's a total game changer. I wish I had known about Global Entry first though, and need to figure out if I apply for that does that mean another $100 or the difference between Precheck and global entry?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 10:06:59 PM »

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2017, 05:54:34 PM »
I have had TSA Precheck for a year I do travel often and it has saved me many times. Last year returning from Comicon we got to bypass the long line for regular security. It's a total game changer. I wish I had known about Global Entry first though, and need to figure out if I apply for that does that mean another $100 or the difference between Precheck and global entry?

I'm not sure, as we just did the Gobal Entry and it automatically  came with all of the TSA PreCheck benefits. I have a feeling that they'd probably make you pay the entire Global Entry fee again even though you've only used your TSA PreCheck for a year. The global entry has a more extensive background check and interview process, from what I've heard.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:20:15 PM by spritegirl24_7 »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
My husband had Pre-Check and when we both got Global Entry we both had to pay the entire $100.  That was a couple years ago.

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
I've found that if my wife (who has Pre-Check) books our flights, I also get Pre-Check. And I even got it randomly when I took my daughter to VidCon last year. Since I don't travel by air often outside of SDCC, I didn't have her book my flights, but my departure times happen to be at very slow times, so going through security has never been very time-consuming. I hope I didn't just jinx myself  ::)
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
I've found that if my wife (who has Pre-Check) books our flights, I also get Pre-Check. And I even got it randomly when I took my daughter to VidCon last year. Since I don't travel by air often outside of SDCC, I didn't have her book my flights, but my departure times happen to be at very slow times, so going through security has never been very time-consuming. I hope I didn't just jinx myself  ::)

NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!  You'll NEVER get Pre-Check again!

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »

My mom & I got Pre Check randomly when flying a year or two ago,  but then another time, only she had it, not me. That's how we first discovered it & decided to do it so we'd have it all the time. In addition to the shorter lines, the whole not having to take out laptop and take off shoes/jacket is sooo nice.

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but certain American Express cards will reimburse you for the cost of TSA Pre-check and maybe Global Entry. I just got mine this year and it did indeed work! The reimbursement showed up as a credit on my statement. However, this doesn't work with all of their cards, but worth checking out!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but certain American Express cards will reimburse you for the cost of TSA Pre-check and maybe Global Entry. I just got mine this year and it did indeed work! The reimbursement showed up as a credit on my statement. However, this doesn't work with all of their cards, but worth checking out!

Great tip!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
All set with my KTN and it's now on my Southwest account so it should be on my ticket when I print it...woo hoo!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »

If you have to travel for work/business, the cost may also be tax deductible.

Offline Telly-tel

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
Definitely check the list of credit card companies that will reimburse you for getting it, there are quite a few. So worth the money. I work in the airline industry and tell people it is worth the money to get it.

Offline tacofan

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
I've had GE for a year now for work, and here are a few thoughts.  When traveling back to the US, it saves you a lot of time when going through customs.  I have been able to breeze through without much of a wait as compared to others waiting in the American citizens' line.  If you have something to declare, you can go to the head of the line.  So, for international travel, I would say GE is worth the $100.

Technically, GE gets you Pre-Check.  However, when I enter my GE number for domestic flights, I sometimes get PC and other times, no.  I've communicated with TSA by email and phone.  They tell me that my GE number is valid and that I should be getting PC for domestic flights.  Even though I told them that it has been hit or miss, their response is, "I don't know what to tell you, sir.  Our system says you're cleared to get PC."

In terms of the domestic security lines, I have noticed that the PC lane is not always open at some airports.  Major hubs like JFK or IAD, this problem doesn't exist.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
My daughter and I got Pre-check last year...hoping to get it again this year... makes things much easier.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »
My daughter and I got Pre-check last year...hoping to get it again this year... makes things much easier.

It's good for 5 years, so if you got it last year, it should still be valid.