Author Topic: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans  (Read 245091 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans
« Reply #705 on: November 07, 2022, 07:18:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel like we've experienced just about everything there is to offer over the years.  What are we missing?

Have you ever volunteered?  It's a different comic-con experience.  I realize it's not for everyone.  I like it.  Other people really like it and it's all they do for hours on end, day after day.  They might make it down to the exhibit floor for a couple of hours over the course of the entire 5 days.

Do you do the offsites?  Pretty much every year, my favorite thing is an offsite.  This last year, the Severance offsite was spectacular.  During previous years it was BladeRunner, Mr. Robot and the best offsite ever Conival.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #706 on: November 07, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »
This upcoming SDCC will be 20 years of attending for my wife and I.  At SDCC 2022 however, my wife confessed that she wasn't enjoying it anymore. I kind of agree.  We used to have tons of fun but now it seems we attend out of habit.  We are getting older so less stuff on the exhibit floor appeals to us.   We stopped going to panels because waiting in long lines (sometimes in the sun) feels like a waste of time.  We do cosplay, but we end up just aimlessly walking around in costume occasionally taking pictures and seeing the same stuff over and over again.  Fewer of our friends are attending than ever before.  We used to meet up with lots of friends and hang out.  Now it feels like we barely see anyone. 

I feel like we've experienced just about everything there is to offer over the years.  What are we missing?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  - Ideas

1. Split up for part of the time--if you don't already.  Go on a quest to find something the other one may like but missed.

2.  Go to a few smaller panels.  Drop into a random panel to two.

3.  Yes, to the volunteer idea.  Helping to bring the show can be fun...and you see things from a different perspective.

4.  Make a riboon or button or small craft as a giveaway to hand out.  It could be a pic of you both in costume, or a fave quote, or a thank you...anything.

5. Wear a button/sign that says you are SDDC veterans..Ask me anything  :D

Refresh, refresh, refresh...hope you have a super time!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #707 on: Today at 09:05:04 AM »

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #707 on: December 30, 2022, 02:52:17 PM »
This upcoming SDCC will be 20 years of attending for my wife and I.  At SDCC 2022 however, my wife confessed that she wasn't enjoying it anymore. I kind of agree.  We used to have tons of fun but now it seems we attend out of habit.  We are getting older so less stuff on the exhibit floor appeals to us.   We stopped going to panels because waiting in long lines (sometimes in the sun) feels like a waste of time.  We do cosplay, but we end up just aimlessly walking around in costume occasionally taking pictures and seeing the same stuff over and over again.  Fewer of our friends are attending than ever before.  We used to meet up with lots of friends and hang out.  Now it feels like we barely see anyone. 

It might be worth taking a break tbh or just trying out something a little different like New York Comic Con.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #708 on: January 03, 2023, 11:50:27 AM »

2023 will be my 22nd SDCC (23rd if we want to count 2021 SDCC SE), and there have been some recent years where I've felt similar: there are definitely some summers where SDCC is off-the-hook good/fun/exciting, and others that feel a little more 'meh.' 
One thing that was a game-changer for me was joining a Line-Up group.  The one I joined several years ago does line-ups for Hall H, Ballroom 20, General Line and others as needed.  I have one, may two shifts of a couple of hours each, and I get to see whatever huge panels I sign-up for (for the line shift).  BUT, the really cool things I've found is the communal aspect.  I've met so many wonderful ladies and gentlemen (and some younger kids) with similar interests who are fun to hang-out with.  This has 'spilled over' into the rest of the year via a Discord chat, and the last several SDCCs there have been members who do other fun things together such as a weekend trip to Disney before the Con (this year a group is going to Universal Studios the weekend before - they rent a B&B house they all pitch in for, as well as a van or two as needed, and plan all sorts of fun events before the Con week).  I've gone to panels with some of those folks I might not have normally gone too, and there are always either people to meet or old friend to reacquaint with.  And there is a wide variety of interests within the group; in our line-up group, the passions run deep, though a LOT of people still want to be in Hall H for the BIG panels of the week on Friday and/or Saturday.
Of course, there are other benefits, like help with exclusives and autographs, offsites, etc.

Also, as others have mentioned, there are always a plethora of fun smaller panels (or at least non-big panels that are still crowded/popular).  The Starship Smackdown (is that what it's called?) is always a fun one, and it feels like most years there are always smaller panels that don't get a lot of press but are always fun.  As my second kid has gotten old enough to experience SDCC, it's been fun seeing things 'fresh' through his eyes.  I hang out a lot in Artist Alley & the Small Press, and other areas on the Exhibit Hall not in the center crazy section.  I don't care as much about autographs or exclusives anymore, so I'm rarely on a massive hunt for things (I say that now, but it _might_ be different when the exclusives portal opens up  :-X ).  But I guess for me the game changer was joining the group and meeting new people, and meeting new people annually (as the group changes a little annually with new folks added).

There have been years where I've legit thought "maybe this is my last SDCC..." and while having kids 'complicates' that sort of thought (they look forward as much/more as I do, and the 8 year old can't go on their own the way the 21 year old could), I always come back around to "_this_ year will likely be better" in those circumstances.

Regardless of your decisions in the future, I hope you enjoy yourself at SDCC, or feel good about a decision to stop going.  WonderCon is a lower-key/cheaper event in the spring that I attend and also really enjoy so maybe as others have suggested changing things up might help the mindset.

Offline MaestraMissJ

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #709 on: January 03, 2023, 12:01:34 PM »
  Hello everyone. I have followed this forum for many years. I have been to SDCC in 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014. I went in 2022 as a professional guest.  This year will be the first time I attend as a professional. I had a lot of fun last year. I picked up a lot of goodies and attended some cool panels. I cosplayed as classic Harley Quinn and got stopped many times. LOL! At the same time, I won't lie, last year's SDCC felt off and I think it came down to DC not being there. (Now we all know why). I know Warner Bros was there because the Rock/Black Adam but there was a noticeable absence of WB content. I am very excited to attend as a pro. I would like to connect with other professionals, especially teachers. Since I have been to a few cons, does this make me a veteran too?  ;D

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #710 on: January 03, 2023, 08:57:13 PM »
  Hello everyone. I have followed this forum for many years. I have been to SDCC in 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014. I went in 2022 as a professional guest.  This year will be the first time I attend as a professional. I had a lot of fun last year. I picked up a lot of goodies and attended some cool panels. I cosplayed as classic Harley Quinn and got stopped many times. LOL! At the same time, I won't lie, last year's SDCC felt off and I think it came down to DC not being there. (Now we all know why). I know Warner Bros was there because the Rock/Black Adam but there was a noticeable absence of WB content. I am very excited to attend as a pro. I would like to connect with other professionals, especially teachers. Since I have been to a few cons, does this make me a veteran too?  ;D
1. DEFINITELY a veteran!
2. Welcome fellow education Professional!  Isn't it fun that we can say "I'm an SDCC Professional?!"  2022 was my first SDCC as a Pro, and though there are not a lot of perks that come with that badge at the Con, the few there are are fun.

I also hope to see DC/WB back with a bigger presence, and I think it's fair to speculate that with James Gunn at least in charge of DC films for WB, there will be a bigger DC movie presence in Hall H (that guy not only seems to legit dig Comic-Con, he _really_ knows how to make panels fun)

Offline Cubs23331

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #711 on: January 03, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »
Definitely try the New York route, super fun con but definitely its own thing.  I'd throw out C2E2 as well or another con that you'd have to travel to get to.  I think that would shake things up and definitely make it seem like a vacation and destination.

It might be worth taking a break tbh or just trying out something a little different like New York Comic Con.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #712 on: February 06, 2023, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions on how to change things up this year.  Hopefully it will not be as flat as 2022.

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2023, 02:22:54 PM »
It's been a while since I've been in the US. What's the tipping expectation or etiquette these days? (I guess for the con that'll be mostly taxis, hotels and eating out really)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »
It's been a while since I've been in the US. What's the tipping expectation or etiquette these days? (I guess for the con that'll be mostly taxis, hotels and eating out really)

10-20% is standard. I would say 15% minimum for sit-down restaurant service (obviously opinions may differ on this).

Offline Alpha_Ryvius

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #715 on: May 03, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »
Just some random tips.

When in line, be nice to those that are in front and behind you.  Don't have to become best of buds but good manners can get you someone who will have your back if some a**h*** tries to cut in front of you.  Also pay attention to who is behind you and in front of you in a line. Like I said there will be a**h***s who try and cut in the line, it will happen.

While not all Hotel rooms will come with a microwave or something you can use to make a meal.  Most will have coffee makers, so bring some instant ramen noodles with you so you use the coffee maker to cook the ramen.  It's quick to make and while probably not healthy. It will keep you going.

If you have to pack extra clothes I recommend socks and underwear over an extra t-shirt or pair of pants. I always tend to bring 2 extra of each on top of what I bring. Plus it's a bit of a moral booster when you feel some clean socks or undies on you.

Hydrate, you're going to be out in the open weather and moving around a lot.  So drink water, and unfortunately sodas and energy drinks do not really count as a hydrating drink.  If you wish to drink a soda/energy drink I would recommend alternating drinking water after drinking a soda or energy drink. For example, if you drink a soda in the morning, and by mid-morning if you are feeling thirsty the next drink should be water, and so on.

Sometimes you're in a rush and yeah taking a shower is the furthest thing on your mind.  If you can't take a shower, I recommend bringing some Diaper wipes to use to scrub your body with.  Feels a bit refreshing and at least it's minimal cleaning and you don't end up smelling like a live zoo exhibit.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 09:07:44 PM by Alpha_Ryvius »

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #716 on: May 04, 2023, 01:45:06 PM »
A few random tips that have helped me in the punishing CA sun when queueing up for Hall H or for an outside event:

1. Freeze your bottled water overnight; it will remain nice and cold for some hours in your pack. 
2. Keep one of those cooling towels on hand.  It really helped keep me feeling cool and somewhat refreshed.  It's amazing what a simple stretch of fabric doused with water can do. 
3. It may seem obvious but wearing sunscreen and a hat is a lifesaver.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #717 on: May 21, 2023, 02:21:58 PM »
Hello!  I've copied and pasted tons of info on the thread for our 1st SDCC this year.  Coming from NJ.  We are not interested in Hall H lines.  Would we still need to bring a portable chair?  The post about the chairs are older.  The information I've collected will definitely help both our SDCC trip and Disneyland before it!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #718 on: May 21, 2023, 10:50:55 PM »
Hello!  I've copied and pasted tons of info on the thread for our 1st SDCC this year.  Coming from NJ.  We are not interested in Hall H lines.  Would we still need to bring a portable chair?  The post about the chairs are older.  The information I've collected will definitely help both our SDCC trip and Disneyland before it!

I find chairs to be useful, because I wait in long lines. Even when I wasn't doing Hall H, the lines were long and the wait was long. Often, when I eat, there's nowhere to sit but the ground, so it helps to have a chair.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #719 on: May 22, 2023, 03:58:13 PM »
Good point about needing a chair to eat!!  Is there a particular one you like?