Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84009 times)

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
Westin San Diego
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Westin San Diego

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
1 bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:
wed to sat

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
staff was very friendly.  gave me extra key cards so I could have one flash/arrow/supergirl ones....

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
room was plenty big enough

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
shuttle 5-15 minutes depending on the traffic going there.  I think its one of the last pickups going there and one of the last drop-offs leaving the convention center.  so I recommended taking shuttle there and walking back.  but I like walking.  not sure how long it takes to get to hotel but it wasn't bad at all.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I heard nothing.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
The wifi was free.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
not too far.  but far enough to feel like it was a break from the craziness.  and if you are taking the train in from OC or LA its very close to the train station. 

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
Would love to be at this hotel again.  Didn't love the price but I have no idea what is a good deal etc....

Offline mangamak

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
Name of Hotel: Doubletree by Hilton San Diego Mission Valley

Type of Room: Double Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2012 and 2013

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
The years we stayed they had a Continental Breakfast that was good.  They had also included 2 vouchers per room for the Continental Breakfast, so if more than 2 were staying in the room, they'd have to pay for their breakfast.

There was a small shopping center next door that had a few places to eat.  Shopping center also had a movie theater from what I recall.  Barnes and Noble next door had a Starbucks also, I believe.   

Staff was great and super helpful! Concierge was helpful in letting us know how/where to buy the cards for the trolley and what route/line to take to get where we needed to go.

* Did you order room service?
 No, didn't order room service.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There is a pool and gym, but we didn't use them.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
The room was nice and spacious for 3 of us.  I've mentioned it in a previous hotel review post about the Westin Gaslamp Quarter but I'm very picky about bathroom sizes when booking hotels and this Doubletree had a very spacious bathroom!  Again, I get very annoyed when bathrooms are so small and you barely have any room and where there's only a small space between the shower, the sink, the commode, and the door.  This one had ample room to move around in and I loved it!  I was so happy and surprised when I we got there and I saw the size of the bathroom!!

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We didn't drive, so I'm not sure how much the parking rate was.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
We go to the convention center 2 ways.  By trolley and by shuttle.
There is a trolley stop directly in front of the hotel.  Since this hotel is essentially the only one on that street, there was little to no people at the stop.  You can buy the trolley card there.  The route/line from the hotel to the convention center is direct, meaning you don't have to get off at the Depot and switch trolleys.  From the stop at the hotel, you can ride all the way to the Towne and Country to pick up your badges and things and then hop on again and ride all the way to the convention center.  This was great for us!   Same deal coming back from the convention center to the hotel.

There's a shuttle stop directly in front of the hotel as well.  The times we've stayed at this hotel, it's been the last pick up/stop.  So, after the trolley stops for the day, just hop on the shuttle and relax for about 30 minutes when heading back to the hotel.

The only issue we discovered was that because it's the last shuttle stop before going back to the convention center, the shuttle fills up before reaching the hotel. 

There's an estimated time posted at the stop saying about how often the shuttle will come by the stop.  We waited in front of the hotel with a growing crowd of people (some people were staying at the hotel, others parked at the shopping center and took the shuttle too) for about a little over an hour.  We had to call the number on the posted shuttle sign to ask why no shuttles had stopped by.  We were told that shuttles were running behind the first time.  Second time we called, they said that the shuttles filled up with Con goers before reaching the last few hotels and they had to drop those people off at the convention center.  Only thing was that after dropping people off at the convention center, the shuttles would start their routes again from the beginning and the same thing would happen.  After letting the shuttle people know there were about 20-25 ppl waiting, they sent a near empty shuttle to pick us up and take us to the convention center. 

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Didn't hear much noise from outside sources.  Just the typical door closing/opening every once in a while but nothing horribly loud.

I don't really remember.  For sure, the lobby did.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
No, I'm not a member of their rewards program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
No celeb sightings.

- Really was glad there was a trolley stop directly in front of the hotel that was in an area with not a lot of traffic (both motor and pedestrian)
- Hotel is located near the end of a dead end street, so worries about crossing the road and some random fast driver hitting you!
- They had a nice breakfast spread.
- Several eateries were located within walking distance
- The trolley route/line could take you to the Towne and Country hotel in Fashion Valley and then to the convention center and back without having to switch trolley lines at the Depot.

- It was a bit too far.
- Shuttles tend to fill up with Con goers before reaching this hotel but if it becomes an issue just bring it up to the shuttle people at the convention center and they'll be helpful.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 05:43:04 AM »

Offline epicskyline

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
Name of Hotel: San Diego Marriott Gaslamp

Type of Room: 1 king-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2015

Hotel Review:

This was our first year staying at this hotel. We were excited to get it, because we like Marriotts and it's a great location. Right in that area are several hotels. We've never been able to book at The Omni, and we don't try for the Hard Rock, but we stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp in 2014 and loved it. I have to say that even though it's only a difference of a block or two, we preferred the location of the Hilton Gaslamp over this one. At the Hilton, you can see the traffic going into the convention center, plus we had a good view of the Assassin's Creed set up. The Marriott does let you see what's happening at Petco, so if you want to time visits to the MTV party or any of the other offsites there, it's a good location for that, if you get the correct side.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The staff was polite, though we didn't need anything from them the whole week -- which I guess means that they did their jobs behind the scenes well. The location was good for restaurants. It was right near The Broken Yolk, which enticed my friend and I to try it for the first time on Wednesday morning. It was very good, and we even saw Felicia Day eating there with her family, which was cool. We also ended up really enjoying this Mediterranean restaurant down the block from the hotel. Don't recall the name though.

The worst part about the hotel was the elevator situation. At a certain point in the night, they only had one elevator going up to the rooms, because the other one was shuttling people to their restaurant. We never ate inside the hotel. However, we did get room service. Part of the reason we like Marriotts is because they all have the same menu. You get a decent amount of food for a good (by room service standards) price. The service was quick and the food was still hot.

The room was a normal size. There's only two of us, so we can always stay in any room comfortably. We had asked for a twin room and got a double, but that happens at every hotel during SDCC. I think they save the rooms with multiple beds for larger parties. I wasn't impressed with the in-suite coffeemaker. I usually brew myself a little cup before I start for the day, but there was not enough supplied, and the cleaning staff never replenished it.

My friend is a member of the rewards program, but she didn't know we could get free wifi because of that. We will definitely not be making that mistake again. Otherwise, the wifi is, I believe, $13.95/per person each day. That adds up quickly!

-close to convention center
-close to restaurants
-good view of Petco

-slow elevators when all you want to do is sleep
-location not as convenient as others in immediate area
-felt a bit separated from the main Gaslamp action

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »
 Name of Hotel: Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room: 2 Queens

Number of Nights You Stayed: 2

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2013

Hotel Review:
This hotel was very welcoming, clean, comfortable. Like every Hampton Inn, they offer breakfast, and since the dining room is packed, they make it easy to grab a brown bag to go, on your way out the door, and they prepared enough for everybody.

All of the employees I encountered were warm and helpful and were genuinely welcoming.  Many of the staff would wear some kind of superhero shirt, definitely created a fun atmosphere.

Perhaps a little small, but totally fine for me and my teenage kid.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
There’s an underground parking garage, and the daily fee was less than typical in downtown. (There may have been a parking discount for being member of AAA.)

The shuttle stop could not have been more convenient, right in front of the hotel.
The shuttle ride to the CC was about 15 minutes.

The rooms must be relatively well insulated because even though the public areas were often crawling with loud attendees, the room was pretty quiet.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? 
Yes.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Basic level, nothing special.

Pros:
- great value for the dollar
- short shuttle ride to the convention center
- outstanding staff

Cons:
- a little far from dining options

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton San Diego Mission Valley

Type of Room: 2 Queens

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2014

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
  Yes. The hotel had at least one restaurant, and there were many options at the mall a couple blocks away.

Staff was friendly and helpful, apart from the unpleasant surprise the front desk clerk gave us the first morning with bad directions to the shuttle stop, located directly in front of the hotel. 

* Did you order room service?
No.

Room was a comfortable size.  The room interior was too dark (poorly illuminated).

Yes there was a parking fee but I don’t recall the amount.

Shuttle was 15-20 minutes

Noise levels were not bad

No.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
This hotel was undergoing renovations in 2014. That created some hassles at the time, but the hotel was still largely enjoyable.  And now it should have a nice new atmosphere.

Pros:
- good value
- close to a lot of restaurants

Cons:
- renovations & construction were annoying

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
Name of Hotel: Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Type of Room: 2 Double Beds, Lanai

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2015

Hotel Review:
    Yes, there were at least two restaurants.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
The property has multiple pools and spas (perhaps 3 of each), and they are arranged beautifully in a great layout with lots of plants and winding walkways.

Room was comfortable.

Yes there was a parking fee and it seemed to be on the high end for SD.

Shuttle was 20 minutes, but it may have felt longer because of several high volume stops.

At least on the Lanai deck, the room was much quieter than a typical room.

An absolutely gorgeous property that felt like a resort. We should have spent time in the spas or pools.

Pros:
- good looking property
- great view from the room

Cons:
- The Lanai deck was very relaxing once you’re there, but it’s a good 5 minute walk past the elevators to the main rooms in the towers, and after a full day at the Con, those 5 minutes feel long.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »
Hotel Indigo:

Stayed there 2013 and 2015

Overall:  This is an overlooked hidden gem.

Nearby Dining: Several cute bars and Starbucks within a block, but the best thing about this hotel is their rooftop bar.  Overlooking Petco, it has nice fire pits, a great view, and they will serve dinner up there which was very nice after a long day.  We visit it even when we aren’t staying at this hotel.

* How was the hotel staff? Were they polite and courteous? Just awesome! My daughter lost/had her wallet stolen coming into the Con one year.  Worried that she couldn’t pick up her badge, the staff helped called all over the airport, cab companies, helped her fill out the police form, and followed up with her to make sure she got her badge.  They even offered to talk to SDCC for her.  One year they hosted a Pet event with Petco at the Con and gave out Star Wars tennis balls for the dogs — they made sure all of their guests got them.

Room Size:   The rooms vary.  You could get lucky or not.  I found them comfy — but not suites if you get my drift.  No fridges in the room — but this was never a problem for us.

Travel time to the convention: 10 minute walk.  We never used the shuttle.

WIFI? Join the reward program and it’s free.

Celebrity sightings: Vikings Maidens were here last year (2015).  It made it easy to get a drinking horn. There have been several restricted celebrity events at the rooftop bar.

Pro’s of Staying Here:  The hidden benefit of this hotel is that it’s close enough to be part of the convention and far enough away to get some rest if you need it. The bar is awesome and if you like dogs — they have a nice rooftop area for them.   In my opinion it’s the 3rd best hotel for the Hall H line.  Hear me out on this… It’s a direct shot to the line on a non-busy street.  It’s close enough that you can drop your sleeping gear back at your room, pick up Starbucks for your crew at the non-busy Starbucks and be back in line within 20 minutes.  For events at Petco (think the year NerdHQ had big events there) it was SUPER Convenient.

Cons: No pool.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Renaissance — Formerly the W

Stayed there 2014 -

Caveat: I’ve stayed at quite a few W’s and generally like them even though they trend to small rooms.

Overall:  Not a great choice when it was the W Hotel. Renaissance (new management) can probably fix some of the problems, but not the location.  I’m only going to comment on the things that can’t readily change.

Nearby Dining: Not really anything great.

Room Size:   Tiny

Travel time to the convention: 1 mile.  Walking a mile is not a problem — but this is a tough walk.  You have to cross the Jail and the crowd around there can be very rough.  It was not cool for 2 women, particularly in the evening and even worse if you are in costume. Taking the shuttle (you have to walk to a shuttle hotel) takes longer than walking to the convention center but it’s safer.

Pro’s of Staying Here:  They have a pool.

Cons:   Location.  I think MV is probably better than this hotel.  The pool is not great pool.

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Has anyone stayed at the Andaz? No reviews yet here, but it looks super nice!  :)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2016, 12:36:13 PM »

Name of Hotel: Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa.

Type of Room: 2 Double beds + sofa bed.

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2013,2014.

Hotel Review:

Restaurants, pool-side bar where you could order some food. For breakfast there was both a buffet (not free) and a Starbucks bar with some food, breakfast burritos, pastries, etc. A good number of restaurants in walking distance. Unfortunately the grocery store close by, which had a deli, has closed and there is now a Smart & Final Extra at the location. I am not familiar with it but the stated hours are 6am-10pm. Our room also had a small refrigerator.

There is a coffee bar close to the ferry landing but it can be pretty crowded.

Staff was great.  There is a business center for printouts and what not.

There is a central pool and hot tub, nice enough. There are also sizable fitness facilities located outside of the main area, including a lap pool, gym and basketball courts, much more than you usually see at a hotel. I believe you can still use these free if you are a guest but probably a good idea to check.
   Addictive scrubbing salts in the bathrooms that you use on your hands, (I can't believe I'm writing that but it's true.)

Room size seemed about average. Not much room with 4 people but manageable.

$35.

These are rough: ferry- 45+ minutes (will require some extra walking compared to trolley/shuttle), car - 20, bus - 30.

Walls were fine, but rooms open out into a concrete floored open area and sound comes in loud from the door.

Yes, but rewards program required.

Yes, basic level, no perks other than wifi.

No celebrities. I did share a water taxi with the producers of the "Thunderbirds Are Go" tv show, so you never know. I have seen concerns about the Coronado traffic, traffic can be considerable on weekdays but that is people who commute into the Coronado Naval base and you will be reverse commute.

- Good if you want to spend a stretch of time at the con and then unwind.
- Great if you want to spend some time at the beaches, or if some people in your group won't be doing the whole con. You can take a free shuttle to the big beautiful beach by the Del.
- Great for fitness buffs, there are the hotel facilities, but also jogging/bicycle paths that go right by the hotel.
- Not crowded, no trouble getting seats at restaurants.
- You get to leave through the back. You get to leave through the back. You get to leave through the back!!! I.e., a relaxed, gentle descent down an uncrowded stairway with a cool breeze as opposed to the massive sweaty scrum-shamble of humanity that you find out front.
- Bathroom was nice, with a large tub and separate shower.
- Coronado is a lovely little town, very friendly and safe.

- If you want to do something that requires very early or very late hours, the location is inconvenient.
- No bulk discounts or passes for the ferry, at $4.75 per person each way it can add up fast.
- No laundry. Though you can drive or take a shuttle to a laundromat in town.
- Many of the restaurants in the area are higher end.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »

Name of Hotel: The Dana on Mission Bay.

Type of Room: Marina Cove Lanai room, 2 queen beds.

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2011.

Hotel Review:

Several restaurants at the hotel, The Blue Pearl for breakfast, and the fancier Firefly. Looking at the website for the Dana, these have changed quite a bit since we stayed there. You can also order food to the room or to the pool.
   The Dana Landing Market is a short walk away, opens at 6AM and makes great sandwiches to pack in. Some other restaurants across the street.

Generally ok. Some confusion over the free coffee that they have out early but then suddenly charge for at some time in the morning. (dangerous business, messing with my caffeine sources in the morning.) Also, when we asked for a trundle bed, were told that they weren't allowed in our room but *hush* if we asked the night staff it shouldn't be a problem.

Two pools, two hot tubs. Fairly small but fine. Tiny gym, but some extras like ping pong tables by one of the pools. Wifi in the room was weak, had to go closer to the office for a good connection.

Room was small. It looks like they have been remodeled since we stayed there but sizes will still be the same. I believe the rooms in the Water's Edge section are newer and larger.

$27 per day resort fee includes parking.

We had to take a bus (there is a stop across the street) to Old Town and then a trolley. Probably at least 45 minutes total, maybe more depending on timing. One day there were enough other people taking a van that we joined them, I forget how long that took.

Yes, thin walls and fairly high noise levels. Air conditioner drowned out much of the noise though.

Part of the $27 per day resort fee.

No.

If you want to visit Sea World there is a free shuttle. Not too hard of a walk either.

- Room had a small fridge and a microwave.
- Close to the water. Can rent bikes, paddleboats, ...
- Fireworks from Sea World every night.
- Our room opened out onto one of the pool areas. Was nice for our mermaid of a daughter,
- "Dive in Movies." At one of the pools, they will show childrens' movies in the evening.
- Has a laundry room.
- Easy drive or bus ride to Mission Beach or the Sports Arena area (Phil's BBQ!)
- Many other people at the hotel will be in the same boat, so actually easier to meet people in the evenings than it might be downtown.

- Far from the con, not on the shuttle route.
- Small, cramped rooms. Fairly loud.
- Weak wifi in some areas rooms.
- Resort fees. Ugh.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has anyone stayed at the Andaz? No reviews yet here, but it looks super nice!  :)

Not personally, but I have some friends that have stayed there. Any review should mention the showers, which might be a bit awkward for any group that isn't a couple. Google San Diego Andaz shower to see what I mean. :-[

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Not personally, but I have some friends that have stayed there. Any review should mention the showers, which might be a bit awkward for any group that isn't a couple. Google San Diego Andaz shower to see what I mean. :-[

I know! My group will be staying there this year. I'm bringing painter's tape and a sheet if we get one of those rooms! I'll also be sure to write a review after the stay...doesn't seem to be any written here.

Offline QTkeylala

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
I know! My group will be staying there this year. I'm bringing painter's tape and a sheet if we get one of those rooms! I'll also be sure to write a review after the stay...doesn't seem to be any written here.

Well, lots of hotels in Vegas are like that.  When I went with my girlfriends, I went to the 99cent store and bought suction cup hooks and shower curtain and hung it inside the shower, easy to unhook.

Offline sciencebird

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
What do you mean you have to cross the Jail?