Author Topic: Lego,Hasbro,Mattel.. What happened to them?  (Read 6267 times)

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
Re: Lego,Hasbro,Mattel.. What happened to them?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2022, 01:13:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The downside is there are no more San Diego Comic Con Exclusive. It looks like it’s more like a pre order before the mass buys it.
Celebration had a few exclusives that could only be purchased at con, one of them sold out (Dave Filoni's SW character figure) while the other was made available after (Jon Favrea's).  But yeah, for the most part they had  bunch of things we were able to preorder before others and just a lot of prototypes as per usual. (I mean, they let us play with LOLA so that just made me happy xD)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2022, 04:03:18 AM »
This could be good insight.  Like, the major companies weren't 100% confident there would be an SDCC in time to ramp up exclusives so it may be slim pickings (which my wallet will be happy about) from the majors who likely have a lot of lead-time than much smaller companies
Well, it's likely a bit of both, no?  COVID (might have) led to loss of revenue AND led to the uncertainty of if there'd even be an SDCC.  It would be more cost effective to skip out (hi, DC/WB), but that more cost-averse thinking may be driven due to COVID issues

The supply chains are also a mess now.  Hasbro has a lot of factories in China, which is still doing lockdowns, and the ports are like weeks behind in discharging the goods

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:35:04 AM »

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2022, 07:30:48 AM »
For me personally, the saddest part will be the missing of the Lego mini figs. Been collecting them since 2011. Started with little red Office Depot raffle tickets that came in like rolls of toilet paper, customize raffle ticket, to iPad , to comic con lotto , and back to IPad, I will miss waiting in line for the luck of the draw. 2020 was brutal for me with missing out on both SuperGirl and more depressingly after neglecting my 2 year to finish the game in three days, Miles Morales. I guess it was a good run. Every year we all wondered when all these exclusive Lego which only happens in SDCC and pissed off most of the AFOL in the world will finally end.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2022, 11:37:16 AM »
This could be good insight.  Like, the major companies weren't 100% confident there would be an SDCC in time to ramp up exclusives so it may be slim pickings (whch my wallet will be happy about) from the majors who likely have a lot of lead-time than much smaller companies

I think this is the main reason there aren't many exclusives.  Why make an exclusive for a con you aren't sure that's going to happen?

The supply chains are also a mess now.  Hasbro has a lot of factories in China, which is still doing lockdowns, and the ports are like weeks behind in discharging the goods

Supply chains are a problem, but they've loosen up since the worst.  For a while, the Star Wars Black Series figures were impossible to get.  Now, even stores like Target and Walmart have them back on the shelf.  The big change is price.  What was a $20 figure pre-covid can now be a $32 figure.  Much of that is because of the price of oil and thus plastic.  The 27 gallon containers I used to get for $7 at Costco are now $20.

As for shipping, they can fly it here instead of by ship.  That's what companies do to bypass the cargo ship pileup.  There aren't that many exclusives compared to normal volumes.  You can fit a lot of action figures on a plane.

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
I think this is the main reason there aren't many exclusives.  Why make an exclusive for a con you aren't sure that's going to happen?

Supply chains are a problem, but they've loosen up since the worst.  For a while, the Star Wars Black Series figures were impossible to get.  Now, even stores like Target and Walmart have them back on the shelf.  The big change is price.  What was a $20 figure pre-covid can now be a $32 figure.  Much of that is because of the price of oil and thus plastic.  The 27 gallon containers I used to get for $7 at Costco are now $20.

As for shipping, they can fly it here instead of by ship.  That's what companies do to bypass the cargo ship pileup.  There aren't that many exclusives compared to normal volumes.  You can fit a lot of action figures on a plane.

How about staying positive?  If Lego can bring exclusives to Star Wars Celebration, the same will happened for Comic Con.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 12:40:53 PM »
Lego didn’t bring exclusives to Star Wars Celebration.  They had a brick head two pack that you could purchase ahead of it going on sale to the public.  But they did have a physical booth with physical items for sale.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2022, 07:12:09 PM »
At celebration, instead of physical exclusives, Hasbro had a QR code you could pick up to use during the days of the con to preorder a Star Wars figure.  They might do something similar at SDCC.  Likewise, Mattel was also preordering a Vader.
Mattel

Behold the power of the Dark Side with the Hologram Darth Vader Limited Edition Premium Plush! Get yours at San Diego Comic-Con July 21-24th! #StarWars You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2022, 08:24:12 AM »
For me personally, the saddest part will be the missing of the Lego mini figs. Been collecting them since 2011. Started with little red Office Depot raffle tickets that came in like rolls of toilet paper, customize raffle ticket, to iPad , to comic con lotto , and back to IPad, I will miss waiting in line for the luck of the draw. 2020 was brutal for me with missing out on both SuperGirl and more depressingly after neglecting my 2 year to finish the game in three days, Miles Morales. I guess it was a good run. Every year we all wondered when all these exclusive Lego which only happens in SDCC and pissed off most of the AFOL in the world will finally end.
Has anyone said LEGO won't be there ?

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2022, 08:36:46 AM »
Has anyone said LEGO won't be there ?

What have you heard?

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2022, 09:01:33 AM »
What have you heard?
That brands are still posting exclusives and more stuff is to come.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:04 AM »
My pessimism is based on previous years and what went down at Star War Celebration.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »
Mattel

Exclusive teveals starting July 11.  Date of sale not announced.

Booth giveaways include posters, lapel pins, phone ring holders, and chance at a SDCC NFT gift."

Mattel Hitting San Diego Comic-Con With ‘Masters of the Universe,’ WWE Superstars (Exclusive)

"Mattel is one of the companies that makes a big footprint at San Diego Comic-Con, especially for its vaunted exclusive collectibles. This year, however, the company is marking its first in-person appearance since 2019 with an agenda that features a slew of big-name panels, signings and giveaways. Among the festivities will be a Hall H panel celebrating the 40th anniversary of Masters of the Universe, appearances by WWE Superstars and toy designers.

Collectors, however, needn’t worry. Exclusives are very much still part of the itinerary. In fact, Mattel will reveal a dozen exclusives, coming via its Mattel Creations label, during what it is billing as “12 Days of Fandom. Mattel will offer drops that harken to iconic and classic properties as the company, in its own words, “opens up the vault.” That begins July 11 and will lead to a 288-hour sale of the 2022 lineup."

"Mattel SDCC Fan Firsts:
WWE Superstar meet & greet: Thur., July 21, 1:15-2:15 PM at Mattel Booth #3029. A photo meet & greet with WWE Superstars. SDCC WWE collector posters will be available at the booth during the event. Limited quantities available.

Masters of the Universe x Cryptoys poster signing: Fri., July 22, 1:00-2:00 PM at Mattel Booth #3029. Artists from OnChain Studios will be on hand to sign exclusive SDCC Masters of the Universe x Cryptoys posters featuring legendary characters He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat and more reimagined as collectible toy NFTs for the metaverse. Attendees can pick up exclusive SDCC lapel pins at the booth all weekend long, and can scan a QR code to register for an exclusive SDCC NFT gift.

Monster High designer signing: Sat., July 23, 2:00-3:00 PM at Mattel Booth #3029. Monster High designers will sign exclusive SDCC Monster High Voltageous Frankie Stein posters. Be on the lookout for Monster High lapel pins and phone ring holders at the booth all weekend long. You’ll also be able to snap a photo with original ghouls."

"Mattel Celebratory Panels:

Mattel & WWE Elite Squad Fan Panel: Thur., July 21, 11:15 AM – 12:15 PM in room: 6A. Hosted by Sam Roberts and Ciampa, the star-studded panel will feature Bill Miekina and Steve Ozer from the Mattel Design team along with WWE Superstars Cody Rhodes and Queen Zelina, action figure reveals, and WWE Superstar surprise guests.

Masters of the Universe 40th Anniversary Fan Panel: Thur, July 21, 3:00-4:00 PM in Hall H. Kevin Smith will interview some of the greats from MOTU’s history, including talent and creators from each era, spanning toys, film, TV and publishing, delving into why MOTU has been a pop culture sensation for four decades and offering a sneak peek at what’s to come. Guests include Dolph Lundgren, Tiffany Smith, Rob David, Pixel Dan and some surprise appearances.

Toys Find a Way: Behind the Scenes and Screams of Jurassic World Dinosaur Design: Fri, July 22, 11:00 AM – 12 PM at Mattel Booth #3029. The Mattel Jurassic World Design Team will take fans behind the curtain of creating the toys based on dinosaurs from Jurassic World Dominion. Designers Rafael Bencosme, Chandra Hicks, Greg Murphy and Nikolai Dryuchin will be on hand for a Q&A, first-ever product reveals, trivia and giveaways.

Masters of the Universe Design Panel: Fri., July 22, 3:00-4:00 PM at Mattel Booth #3029. Secrets of Castle Grayskull will be revealed as the minds behind the Masters of the Universe action figure line walk audience members through what’s next in Origins, Masterverse, MEGA and more. Damon Nee, Terence Higuchi, Sam Pak, Roy Juarez, Felipe Rojas, and Robert Rudman will detail firsthand the creative process that goes into making Masters of the Universe figures and packaging, tease upcoming releases and answer questions face to face.

Minecraft Diamond Level Design Panel: Sat., July 23, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT at Mattel Booth #3029. The Mattel Design Team and special guest Antti Meriluoto, creative lead consumer products at Mojang Studios, will step behind the curtain of the design journey and creation of the first ever Minecraft action figure collector line — Diamond Level. Crafted with premium materials, Diamond Level, is an ode to classic game play and the adult Minecraft fan who grew up with the game. Celebrating the occasion, Mattel will  launch an exclusive figure at Comic-Con.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:10:00 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 08:26:37 AM »
Hmm so looks like there's no lottery for exclusives this year? Gonna make the Lego, Hasbro, etc lines even crazier than past years?

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
Hmm so looks like there's no lottery for exclusives this year? Gonna make the Lego, Hasbro, etc lines even crazier than past years?
Pretty sure UCC said there will be a raffle. No way they do away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 07:27:19 PM »
Lottery is up now.