Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153887 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
I'm sure I have shared this before, but it's worth sharing every year, if you are prone to blisters on your feet bring some moleskin to slap on "hot spots" it will save you!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
I'm sure I have shared this before, but it's worth sharing every year, if you are prone to blisters on your feet bring some moleskin to slap on "hot spots" it will save you!

This stuff works great, I had a foot blister and using mole skin really made it feel normal. Remember SDCC is all about walking and standing and waiting :D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #407 on: Today at 07:48:38 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
This stuff works great, I had a foot blister and using mole skin really made it feel normal. Remember SDCC is all about walking and standing and waiting :D
Yep, and contrary to some of those reviews, you stick it to your skin, not your shoe. Just slap it over the spot on your skin and now the mole skin is being rubbed and not your tender spot.

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
All i know and can tell of what i learned of blisters, is it only happens as far as i know when u wear wrong size shoes or they not snug enough and it rubs against feet anywhere to where it creates a blister. the way i see it, its like make sure the shoe is like one with u kinda like being in Iron Man suit - be one with the suit and just walk and not let shoe have feet like floating or moving around inside too much or mite get a blister. if too loose then just re tie shoe or velcro then re strap so nice and snug but not too tite lol. shoes like clothes get kinda stretched as u move around so then become too loose i guess.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
All i know and can tell of what i learned of blisters, is it only happens as far as i know when u wear wrong size shoes or they not snug enough and it rubs against feet anywhere to where it creates a blister. the way i see it, its like make sure the shoe is like one with u kinda like being in Iron Man suit - be one with the suit and just walk and not let shoe have feet like floating or moving around inside too much or mite get a blister. if too loose then just re tie shoe or velcro then re strap so nice and snug but not too tite lol. shoes like clothes get kinda stretched as u move around so then become too loose i guess.

And you really need to have two sets of walking shoes because like [member=6880]cabler30[/member] said shoes can get stretched out. Switching between pairs of shoes can really help your feet.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
We have a few things that are a must for us for hotel comfort:

Fan -- we have a small standup one we bring (we drive, so it's easy to pack), but even a small desk or clip-on fan that can fit in luggage can help if you are used to using a fan for the white noise and/or cooling.

Poo-Pourri (deodorizing toilet spray) -- super helpful when a bunch of people are sharing the same hotel bathroom

Hand Soap Pump --the same way we use pump hand soap at home, we always use one at the hotel rather than their freebie bar soap. Sometimes I don't bring it, but usually hit up Target when we first arrive (because I always welcome an excuse to go to Target  :D ).

Clothespin -- For keeping pesky hotel curtains closed, if needed (some don't close all the way no matter how hard you try)

Bed Pocket or Bedside Shelf -- if you have 3 or 4 people sharing beds and there is only a nightstand in the middle of the two beds, it can leave 1-2 people without a place to set their cell phone, glasses, TV remote or anything else they want access to. This gives the ones on the outside edge of the bed a place to keep their items close, without laying them on the floor.
Like this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Extension Cord -- We always pack one as its been proven to be helpful by someone in our family on almost every trip for charging phones, etc.

Suction Toothbrush Holder/Cover -- covers toothbrush + secures it to the bathroom mirror, keeping it off of the bathroom counter
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:37:23 PM by comicconfamily »
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
We pack a bunch of document clips to help with the hotel curtains, I know exactly what you mean. Building on the recent comments, the thing I pack that is by far the most useful year after year is a small ziploc bag with document clips, paper clips, safety pins, little post its, extra ziploc bags and a whole mess of rubber bands. I give away so many rubber bands.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
From the lunch discussion, [member=1644]TeamKiLL3R[/member] had a great idea. If you do the BYO sandwich thing, bring those plastic bread sized sandwich containers instead of ziplocs for them. No more crushed PB&J for us. I don't know why we never thought of that!
Ang

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
I bring my own pillowcase. That way I don't have to think about sleeping on a pillow a bunch of other people have drooled on. Then when its time to leave I throw my dirty clothes in it.

I also put washi tape on my usb block to charge my phone so we know whose is whose.

Agree about the hand soap and poopourri. Especially if you are staying with roomies or have the weird doors like the Omni...

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
Cash really helps on the floor you just hand over money and keep moving also helps in Gaslamp when you want drinks, snacks and ice cream. Some vendors won’t accept cash though. Dollar bills to pay and tip with at bag check. Bandanas to use as little tablecloth on ground when waiting in line and to wipe hands with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:48:54 PM by vegasndn »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
Two words: Red Vines. I’ve met people that are now my good friends that I’m in contact with all year long by sharing my Red Vines while waiting in line. It’s karma. It’s candy. It’s sugary goodness. Red Vines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
I bring my own pillowcase. That way I don't have to think about sleeping on a pillow a bunch of other people have drooled on. Then when its time to leave I throw my dirty clothes in it.

I also put washi tape on my usb block to charge my phone so we know whose is whose.

Agree about the hand soap and poopourri. Especially if you are staying with roomies or have the weird doors like the Omni...

Are you saying you don’t like my drool????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #417 on: April 21, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
Yep, and contrary to some of those reviews, you stick it to your skin, not your shoe. Just slap it over the spot on your skin and now the mole skin is being rubbed and not your tender spot.

Poor moles :'( :'(

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2018, 10:48:39 PM »

It is usually the pillow that is stained/dirty. See the you tube series, Another Dirty Room. Not for the easily grossed out.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
We have a few things that are a must for us for hotel comfort:

Fan -- we have a small standup one we bring (we drive, so it's easy to pack), but even a small desk or clip-on fan that can fit in luggage can help if you are used to using a fan for the white noise and/or cooling.

Poo-Pourri (deodorizing toilet spray) -- super helpful when a bunch of people are sharing the same hotel bathroom

Hand Soap Pump --the same way we use pump hand soap at home, we always use one at the hotel rather than their freebie bar soap. Sometimes I don't bring it, but usually hit up Target when we first arrive (because I always welcome an excuse to go to Target  :D ).

Clothespin -- For keeping pesky hotel curtains closed, if needed (some don't close all the way no matter how hard you try)

Bed Pocket or Bedside Shelf -- if you have 3 or 4 people sharing beds and there is only a nightstand in the middle of the two beds, it can leave 1-2 people without a place to set their cell phone, glasses, TV remote or anything else they want access to. This gives the ones on the outside edge of the bed a place to keep their items close, without laying them on the floor.

Extension Cord -- We always pack one as its been proven to be helpful by someone in our family on almost every trip for charging phones, etc.

Suction Toothbrush Holder/Cover -- covers toothbrush + secures it to the bathroom mirror, keeping it off of the bathroom counter

Earplugs in case you have a major league snorer!