Author Topic: Decline of Movie studio at Comic con  (Read 5347 times)

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
Decline of Movie studio at Comic con
« on: November 09, 2019, 06:30:44 AM »
I have a guess this trend will continue.

So look how’s things are turning out from this years comic con.
Terminator Dark Fate strong present at Comic con bomb at the box office.
Joker no show blowing up the box office.

Other notable movie that mirror Terminator. Blade Runner ,Scott Pilgram.

If comic con present is irrelevant to box office why waste money?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:23:53 AM by ALF »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Decline of Movie studio at Comic con
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a guess this trend will continue.

So look how’s things are turning out from this years comic con.
Terminator Dark Fate strong present at Comic con bomb at the box office.
Joker no show blowing up the box office.

Other notable movie that mirror Terminator. Blade Runner ,Scott Pilgram.

If comic con present is irrelevant to box office why was money?
Not to mention Marvel Studios doesn't show in 2018 to hype ENDGAME and it ends up being the highest grossing movie of all time

IDK, though.  I think the situation has just normalized a bit.  BITD studios and creatives have always brought their genre films to promote at Comic-Con (obviously the original STAR WARS is a great example, but there are plenty of others in the pre-Hall H era - Coppola's DRACULA is one that really strikes me for some reason), and when attendance started peaking it felt like every studio felt like they had to promote their films, even when they didn't fall into the Comic-Con genre (for example, THE CAMPAIGN was promoted at Comic-Con, and while it's always fun to watch Will Ferrell bring the funny to Hall H, it's playing to the wrong crowd IMO).  Now I think it's back to the older way, where studios are being a lot more deliberate about how they choose to spend their money.

Add how much the off-site thing has exploded, and studios have realized they can get their advertisement message to a LOT more people via setting up an offset and giving away, like, a button or something after folks watch a 5 minute trailer.

I totally get why JOKER wasn't promoted by WB.  Last summer I was quite a bit surprised WB bailed, with the WONDER WOMAN sequel as well as JOKER in the hopper.  But after seeing JOKER, I get why marketing that to Comic-Con would've felt off: I mean, what the heck would a Hall H sizzle reel for that film look like?!?!  It would've sent a weird message that JOKER was maybe a "family" film when it's clearly a fairly "hard-R" rating tonally.  In hindsight it's obvious why they didn't want to exhibit JOKER. WONDER WOMAN 84 is a whole different question mark though; there are rumors that an October test screening bombed, so maybe that film is problematic and WB wasn't even remotely ready to start promoting it yet.

I think that as for every film that killed at Comic-Con but under-performed at the BO, you can not only mostly explain why it under performed (SCOTT PILGRIM, brilliant movie that it is, is literally a niche of a niche of a niche property that was never going to play to the baby boomer crowd in general; BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a sequel to an uber cult film that way under performed in 1982 and was likely never going to be a mainstream blockbuster) but also substitute for a story where Comic-Con _MADE_ the film.  For example, Matthew Vaughn brought KICK-ASS to Comic-Con without a distributor!  In the panel, he flat-out said he didn't care if we bootlegged the footage, and he wanted us to spread the word about how awesome it looks.  Of course, the footage played like gangbusters to us in Hall H, and literally by the end of the Comic-Con weekend the film was in a bidding war for distribution and the deal was inked by mid-the following week!  The rest is history.  I think Marvel Studios is obviously the gold standard of how to successfully promote and build hype for your product at Comic-Con, and they way they built themselves up beginning at Comic-Con is well-documented.

But getting back to your point, I think things have just kind of evened out: albeit I do believe TV studios have realized a higher value in promoting at Comic-Con moreso than film studios nowadays.  I think now that we're in the era of streaming content, we'll likely see a lot more promotion from streaming providers (Netflix has recently jumped into the game, as has Amazon Prime; I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Disney+ have more of a presence, especially in non-D23 summers)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:07:21 AM »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 12:52:52 AM »
So how would you change it so that movie studios keep coming back?

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 05:57:54 AM »
I actually don't think that there's been a decline, but more that in some cases they don't need it (like Marvel) and others they're still in flux (like WB/DC) and then others get swallowed up (like Fox).  The inclusion of the Fox properties in the Disney/Marvel space might limit it a little, but I think that there was a bit of flux in the past couple years.  Marvel's a machine and to be honest it didn't need to push Endgame, especially when anything would have given away the plot.  Last year's showing of all the upcoming properties, both TV and big screen, I thought, was the best thing of the con.  They laid it all out there.  I think what you'll see for WB/DC is more films in their own lil world, and not the giant "universe" films like the Marvel brand. Joker's a great example of that.

I'm interested in seeing next year how the Fox properties may be shown off now...that's something new for Marvel...but..we'll see...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »

I think that is up to the movie studios. They need to take into account what the platform offers them, and then use their marketing budgets to figure out how they can take advantage of it.

I think the formula has become a bit dry and repetitive, and we need some more innovation when it comes to how or what they present. It's normally the same thing - lukewarm moderator, basic questions, trailer that release the same time online, followed by a Q&A from the audience that is normally guaranteed to include at least one cringeworthy question.

We'll probably be stuck in this cycle until a studio comes and does something new and innovative with the platform that SDCC offers. Then, maybe that will get the other studios on their toes.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:24:11 AM »

One thing the studios would want to see is legitimate and positive online buzz after their presentation.  Did the ones who attended last year get that?

I think part of the problem is that the whole Hall H thing is overblown.  If a movie presentation is held before another bigger presentation (e.g. Game of Thrones), most of the people aren't there for the movie, but just camping out until the bigger presentation starts.  Anyone who actually wanted to see the movie presentation is shut out from going by people waiting for the bigger event.

I remember two years ago, I was kind of interested in a movie presentation in the morning, but the lines were dominated by people wanting to see something bigger in the afternoon.  I wasn't willing to skip my evening activities for a wristband.  I just won't do it.

I think if the Hall H demand would chill a little bit, it might be better for everyone.  It almost seems like waiting in a long line has become an end unto itself that overwhelms the actual content in the room.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »

I think if the Hall H demand would chill a little bit, it might be better for everyone.  It almost seems like waiting in a long line has become an end unto itself that overwhelms the actual content in the room.

I think of good example of Hall H demand chilling would be Comic Con 2018.  That year Marvel didn't come.  The lines for Hall H were pretty manageable.  You pretty much could walk in most times.

BTW...Comic Con (for me) was still a blast!!!
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »
This past year, some studios said that they’re still interested in doing Comic-Con, it just didn’t work scheduling wise.  In 2018, there were actually several studios there, just not Marvel.  Marvel will keep coming back if they have stuff to show, Feige clearly likes doing Comic-Con.  I think what you have now is studios don’t feel an obligation to have a Hall H presence, so instead they’ll do it if it works, and, if it doesn’t, they can promote their projects at other times.

Offline IanCar

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
One thing the studios would want to see is legitimate and positive online buzz after their presentation.  Did the ones who attended last year get that?

Marvel had a legit/positive response after their presentation this year.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Marvel had a legit/positive response after their presentation this year.

They are the ones who need it the least.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
I have several, somewhat opposing feelings and questions about the big studios at SDCC.

1.  Makes it more difficult to get into Hall H and see a panel that is before one of the “biggies”. 

2.  Do the studios actually pay for the panel time in Hall H or Ballroom 20?

3. I would like to see some unexpected things in Hall H- a concert for instance.

4. Maybe their performance - however poor- would have been even worse if they had NOT shown up?  :)

5.  I really think Hall H needs to be utilized way into the night, with breaks for cleaning.

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
I also have a feeling that the decline of movie studio means the uptake of streaming services..
However streaming services don't have the budget as big as a big movie studio..or am I wrong?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
They are the ones who need it the least.
IDK; I think going into their next Phase Marvel need all the hype they can get.  Even GOAT writer Neil Gaiman w/JR Jr. couldn't make "The Enternals" a great run, and I guarantee the average movie-goer has no clue about Shan-Chi.  I think Marvel is going to really need to sell that stuff: characters that so far have little/no connection to what feels an almost-end of The Avengers.  Easier to sell the sequels, obviously, but their more out-there properties are gonna need the hype, I think.

Oh, IDK.  There were years where I literally spent Thursday-Saturday in Hall H from open-close.  Say, from 10am-5pm there are 5 panels, and maybe 2 or 3 were good (on average - using very nonspecific figures here).  I sat through a LOT of mediocre to bad panels.  Like, panels for movies that never got any sort of release, movies like JONAH HEX, etc.  I think at its peak studios felt compelled to try to jump into the hype of Comic-Con Hall H after Marvel had wild success in the mid-00's.  They brought whatever they had, regardless of genre, brought footage, and crammed the stage with star power.  All of that likely cost a LOT!  Nowadays I think studios are being a lot smarter about when/what they bring to Comic-Con and I've noticed for the most part the last several years the majority of days I've been in Hall H have all been good quality presentations and material (for the most part: and obviously taste varies - like, I really hated how much I didn't like GLASS for example).  I'm OK with an "the day was good quality stuff," as well as off-the-beaten-trail panels like last year's amazing animated shorts on Saturday that were screened (that made roughly 6500 Comic-Con nerds cry at some point).  TV studios have found value in presenting at Comic-Con, and with the dawn of the streaming era/Wars I think we'll see a lot more of that (hopefully?  How could would it be to see Apple bring their pizzazz to Hall H?!?!).

I'll be curious to see what Fox does now that they're Disney.  Disney is clearly trying to segregate the non-family-friendly properties and material from the more family friendly (see what made it to Disney+ from Fox and what didn't, for example) and I hope that Fox stays autonomous like Marvel Studios (for the most part)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
Fox had its own movie panel at NYCC for the King’s Man and Free Guy.  D23 didn’t do any Fox movies, but they were at NYCC.
I think Disney gives its studios a lot more discretion in terms of attending conventions than people give them credit for.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:48 AM »
I have several, somewhat opposing feelings and questions about the big studios at SDCC.

1.  Makes it more difficult to get into Hall H and see a panel that is before one of the “biggies”. 

2.  Do the studios actually pay for the panel time in Hall H or Ballroom 20?

3. I would like to see some unexpected things in Hall H- a concert for instance.

4. Maybe their performance - however poor- would have been even worse if they had NOT shown up?  :)

5.  I really think Hall H needs to be utilized way into the night, with breaks for cleaning.

1. Nope. I'm fine with the system as-is, though admittedly I have been able to adapt to the machinations of Comic-Con culture.  I pre-date Hall H & PN, remember the days when you can walk into a LotR's movie panel and see a half-empty Hall H, could get in line to see James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Miyazaki in one day while jumping into the Hall H line around 7:30 am the morning of and still sit in the front-middle section!  I've seen almost every Marvel Studios panel ever (missed the famous Loki year...sigh...), and I've only missed one panel day I've wanted to attend ever.  CCI needs to continue to tweak what they have now, but I think "making it harder to get in" is no where near on their radar - I think they want to make it easier to get it, actually.

2. Yes

3. Tenacious D did a concert awhile back and it was AMAZING.  That was one of the last years CCI was the 'wild west' as far as presentations and footage were concerned, where Kevin Smith had a panel in the early afternoon and then came back out to introduce The D in wildly hilarious, vulgar fashion.  The D closed out Hall H that year (before they programmed evening stuff), and I think I walked to my car with my belly literally aching from laughing so hard!  It was to promote PICK OF DESTINY, but they showed zero footage: they did play some songs from the movie (that was probably 6 months away from release) with explanations to set 'em up.

4. RIGHT?!  Sometimes a movie underperforms because it's just not that good!  Sometimes box office isn't what it is because of weird anomalies, or because a movie just doesn't hit all the demos the way a studio might think it does.  SCOTT PILGRIM is a great example of an incident where a studio went ALL in, with a HUGE panel, free screenings all weekend (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, complete with pre-show DJ spin from a famous DJ and post-show concert from the band featured in the film), and even an off-site that featured a ton of interactive activities and signings throughout the week.  It generated so much positive buzz!  And then EXPENDABLES somehow became a huge hit the weekend SCOTT PILGRIM opened, and no one went to see PILGRIM.  The irony is that SCOTT PILGRIM stole several hundred audience members from Hall H when Edgar Right revealed specific free buttons they handed out were "golden tickets" to see the film's premier.  I saw two screenings that weekend, and they both played like gangbusters!  The mainstream movie audience is a fickle mistress that is sometimes wildly unpredictable

5. I'd be down!