Author Topic: Awkward Roomshare Hotels  (Read 7375 times)

Offline nightshade

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 20
Awkward Roomshare Hotels
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:20 AM »
With many of us piling into a room, I thought it might help to gather community intel on any hotels that you felt had awkward situations.

For example, Omni can be awkward because its bathroom door is a sliding panel that is always a bit open.  I can't remember, but I think the door was also kind of opaque. 

And hotels like Sofia and Residence Inn Gaslamp will only offer 1 bed.

Any other awkward downtown roomshare you guys know of to watch out for?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Awkward Roomshare Hotels
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
Andaz is the famous one with the glass enclosed showers in the middle of the room. Someone on the forum had a great idea (I forget who) they bring cheap shower curtains to stick up in the shower and make it a bit more private. The Palomar only has 1 bed in the rooms ion the lottery, though the hotel has other room types, but at least it's a king.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:34:58 AM »

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Andaz is the famous one with the glass enclosed showers in the middle of the room. Someone on the forum had a great idea (I forget who) they bring cheap shower curtains to stick up in the shower and make it a bit more private.

yikes the Andaz is my back up hotel. I had a hotel with a glass shower in Saigon when i roomed with my mom.... thankfully they had a pull down blind. Does anyone know if the Andaz have blinds?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
The Wyndham Bayside also has a sliding, frosted glass bathroom door. I'm very good friends with the people I room with and we did find it slightly awkward. Mostly because if you're in a room with 2 beds the door is next to one of the beds! So, if you're..um...doing your business...it feels like you're kind of sitting next to anyone on that bed.

Still a great hotel and we laugh to this day about that bathroom. We just had to have a bit of a discussion about privacy. hahah
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
yikes the Andaz is my back up hotel. I had a hotel with a glass shower in Saigon when i roomed with my mom.... thankfully they had a pull down blind. Does anyone know if the Andaz have blinds?
The one review didn't mention the shower. Looking at the hotel website, it doesn't seem that the glass enclosed shower is an option for every room. The deluxe room description mentions it as an amenity, but the standard rooms do not mention it. It looks like it is only for the larger, fancier rooms.

As to awkward shares, these hotel reviews mentioned sliding bathroom doors (I don't know if I got them all):
Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront
Hotel Z (not an official hotel)
Marriott Gaslamp
The Sofia reviews
Residence Inn Gaslamp Quarter
Comfort Inn Gaslamp Convention Center (I don't believe this is an official hotel either)
Wyndham Bayside

For the Wyndham Bayside, someone mentioned that the wardrobe is in the bathroom. That seems kind of inconvenient.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:51:59 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
Andaz is the famous one with the glass enclosed showers in the middle of the room. Someone on the forum had a great idea (I forget who) they bring cheap shower curtains to stick up in the shower and make it a bit more private. The Palomar only has 1 bed in the rooms ion the lottery, though the hotel has other room types, but at least it's a king.

I would really love a picture of this atrocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
I would really love a picture of this atrocity.

From the Google. Sorry I don't know how to make these smaller...

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
I don't get this......WHY???????????????????????? Why in the HELL would any hotel do this?!?!?! And why is it a thing in several hotels??
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
I actually think it's a cool concept. Remember most of these 'upscale' hotels are not meant for room share with strangers or even friends especially a one bed room. We stayed at the Marriot Gaslamp last year, and my friend had just gotten a stomach virus O_o She had to go down to the lobby bathroom every time to do her business.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
Not exactly for families either  :o
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Not exactly for families either  :o

Or even couples! Like, sometimes you just need a minute to yourself in the damn shower.  I was flipping through hotels in NYC recently and saw a few with bathrooms like this. I'm like who are these couples that also need to see each other shower? Then I saw even more when searching hotels for an upcoming trip to Madrid! BUT those all clearly had curtains to pull closed around the showers with toilets closed off in a little room.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Or even couples! Like, sometimes you just need a minute to yourself in the damn shower.  I was flipping through hotels in NYC recently and saw a few with bathrooms like this. I'm like who are these couples that also need to see each other shower? Then I saw even more when searching hotels for an upcoming trip to Madrid! BUT those all clearly had curtains to pull closed around the showers with toilets closed off in a little room.

It's my fault, everyone wants to see me shower. I keep telling them no, now they have built hotel rooms to try and trap me.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
I don't get this......WHY???????????????????????? Why in the HELL would any hotel do this?!?!?! And why is it a thing in several hotels??

I can't remember which hotel it was in (it was maybe 6 years ago and not at SDCC), but the bathroom doors and doors to the shower were clear (it was another one of those fairly upscale hotels.) It took my friend and I forever to figure out there was a button or switch that made the glass opaque. So maybe that's a case with these rooms too? Though, I think people would've found them eventually, but they can be freaking difficult to find.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
I was imagining frosted glass or at least a frosted central stripe...man that shower is not for the shy  :o ;D

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
It's my fault, everyone wants to see me shower. I keep telling them no, now they have built hotel rooms to try and trap me.

I wanted to see you shower but it never happened! I'm devastated...  :-\