Author Topic: CCI vs. SLCC II  (Read 28335 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: CCI vs. SLCC II
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw the SLCC Car a couple of times that year. Even I thought it was a SDCC car at first. It stood out that much- and i thought it was odd that CCI management was driving around in a car promoting SDCC.
No other convention publicized they're con at sdcc as garishly as SLCC nor are any other cons as easily confused with SDCC due to the letters in their shortened name.

I dislike arguing by analogy but it's kinda like someone posting on this forum for another forum that has the same exact market PLUS using flashing lights and loud sounds. Add into that if the name was similar---
While i understand 'all fair in love & advertising' at a point folks are going to stand their ground.  I think that's what we're seeing.
Like, if I started promoting my new forum “Fridges for Comic Con on here with a very similar font as that on the main page of this sight. It’s like that car used juuuuuust enough differences to not infringe on copyrighted imagery but was similar enough to confuse people.
It was in poor taste, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
Like, if I started promoting my new forum “Fridges for Comic Con on here with a very similar font as that on the main page of this sight. It’s like that car used juuuuuust enough differences to not infringe on copyrighted imagery but was similar enough to confuse people.
It was in poor taste, IMO

Promoting it on the main page of FoCC is not quite an accurate analogy IMO, as they did not promote their convention inside SDCC or the convention center. A more accurate analogy (to use examples from the marketing industry) would be to try to use Google AdWords and similar tools to get your website to appear on the same Google/Yahoo search results as FoCC, which I’d consider fair game. I also don’t think the font SLCC used on the car was that similar (though I will say that a previous version of their logo did look too similar...but if they were upset about that, then sue to change that...not the name.)

Also, I’d never assume that “friend” is synonymous with “fridge” and can’t really emphatize with anyone who would. :P
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 05:52:10 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »
Im guessing if the staff of SDCC or CCi was told about or shown pictures then they might wonder and if they was only noticed during the week of the con everyday im guessing the head staff may have approached or questioned as to why they was in the area promoting a different con while SDCC was in town. if it was by chance just this once they may not have bothered or ignored it, but if it was around every year during the con then they may have made a fuss about and told the people to leave the area unless saw it as no harm in any way.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
My favorite part of the SLCC promotion and logos is the tiny "salt lake" and the huge COMIC CON. They knew what they were doing and now they are exploiting the lawsuit to try and look like an innocent little guy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 05:47:28 AM »
I agree with you guys, SLCC was slimy and definitely involved in misleading advertising.

However, SDCC isn't saying this... instead, they're complaining that SLCC is using the term 'comic con'. IMHO, that's not a winning fight. So many cons have used that term and SDCC hasn't gone after them. I really don't know why SDCC isn't getting after Salt Lake about the misleading advertising instead.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
However, SDCC isn't saying this... instead, they're complaining that SLCC is using the term 'comic con'. IMHO, that's not a winning fight. So many cons have used that term and SDCC hasn't gone after them. I really don't know why SDCC isn't getting after Salt Lake about the misleading advertising instead.

This hits the nail on the head. While I disagree about SLCC being slimy and misleading, the main reason I'm so publicly not on SDCC's side here is because "you drove your car on San Diego during SDCC; therefore, we want you to change your name to Salt Lake Comic Convention and hand your website over to us" is just such a ridiculously illogical argument that I don't know how they came up with it. On the other hand, if they'd had sued to keep SLCC away from them, I still probably wouldn't agree (as I don't believe they have grounds to dictate who drives on public roads) but I'd at least see where they were coming from.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
This hits the nail on the head. While I disagree about SLCC being slimy and misleading, the main reason I'm so publicly not on SDCC's side here is because "you drove your car on San Diego during SDCC; therefore, we want you to change your name to Salt Lake Comic Convention and hand your website over to us" is just such a ridiculously illogical argument that I don't know how they came up with it. On the other hand, if they'd had sued to keep SLCC away from them, I still probably wouldn't agree (as I don't believe they have grounds to dictate who drives on public roads) but I'd at least see where they were coming from.
I suspect:
1. CCI was pissed at advertising that could be misleading to their own customer base
2. SLCC’s logo is likely different enough to not have a copyright claim
3. CCI was pissed that SLCC was potentially misleading CCI’s base (“wait: Comic-Con is doing a show in Salt Lake City?! Can’t wait!”) literally right outside where SDCCI was happening
4. SLCC can drive their car wherever they want in San Diego w/out need for permits or permission so that argument is also a legally dubious one
5. CCI’s likely best argument is over trademark rights to use “Comic-Con” for similar events.  I also suspect the goal might be to wear down SLCC with legal paperwork and expenses, something CCI probably has far more resources to burn

I’m a HS teacher so I’m no legal expert. Nor do I care much about this lawsuit anymore. I am curious to see legally what happens in the end though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:20 AM »
I’m no legal expert. Nor do I care much about this lawsuit anymore. I am curious to see legally what happens in the end though

Yep, that’s where I am with this whole thing.

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
From the SLCC FB page

UPDATE: SLCC vs SDCC case goes to trial November 28, 2017.

In the last month we had discussed the idea of crowdfunding legal fees to allow fans and promoters of comic cons from around the country to show moral and financial support for the ongoing legal battle with San Diego Comic Convention (SDCC). Currently we have incurred over $1.5 million in legal fees defending the myriad of comic cons’ rights to be called “comic con”. SDCC is claiming ownership of all forms of the term “comic con” even though the term has been used for over 50 years by independent conventions in virtually every state in the country. They claim this ownership gives them the right to license the name and regulate the nature of comic cons across the country.

We have decided to postpone our crowdfunding campaign in the event of any appeal of the case. Your continued support over the years of our comic con events has made it so we have been able to stand our ground on what we believe is the right thing for everyone who uses the term comic con. If you want to express your support again you can do so by taking advantage of the extra savings at tomorrow’s launch. Tickets are 35% off and include a bonus upgradeable ticket valued at $15 for the first 1,000 purchases of VIP and Gold tickets. You can purchase tickets here on Friday, 11/17 at 12:00pm MST. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We are greatly encouraged by the opinion of the Ninth Circuit Court stating, “The case has drawn nationwide attention and discussion on traditional and social media alike, in part because “comic cons” have been held in hundreds of venues across the United States.” If the case goes to appeal, we already have been acknowledged by the appeals court (in San Francisco) of the ubiquitous nature of the term “comic con”. Here’s the Court’s opinion: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Isnt it kinda weird or lame or whatever to claim a term like comic con, seeing how there are so many that happen now days around the world? So are they gonna try make to where no con can use that term ever if at all? guess u might as well say now lets go to San Diego con or New York con so not gotta go through all this hassles to claim a term that no one can use ever or might get sued. I guess gotta wait and see how this who hassles is resolved or dismissed cause of a term.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »
Isnt it kinda weird or lame or whatever to claim a term like comic con, seeing how there are so many that happen now days around the world? So are they gonna try make to where no con can use that term ever if at all? guess u might as well say now lets go to San Diego con or New York con so not gotta go through all this hassles to claim a term that no one can use ever or might get sued. I guess gotta wait and see how this who hassles is resolved or dismissed cause of a term.

Then we don't have to explain to everyone they are all owned by different companies or that you can't compare local ones to the real one :)
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »

That's the thing -- if they went after every comic con (or multiple ones while making it clear they were planning to own the term), then I'd have much less of a problem with this lawsuit.  But as it is now, it just sounds like SLCC pissed off CCI but didn't do anything illegal, so CCI is grasping at straws trying to come up with something to sue them over.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
There is an awful lot of money involved here for both parties.  CCI is taking this quite seriously, and to what end?  If CCI wins, will fans feel differently about the organization?--Negatively, perhaps?  If CCI wins, I can see additional lawsuits for other things/areas they feel is "theirs". 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:26:08 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
I only heard or read about this from this forum, so not sure how wide range the suit is news wise. would badge sales go up if either side looses? to pay any legel fees etc? i dont know which side is right or wrong, i guess just speculating or guessing outside the box looking as to what might happen later to affect anyone if at all. not sure how many are aware of comic cons really unless the traffic or fans of shows and comics, etc. so guess it only really affect workers of cons, fans who go to any of them, and cities that host them by locations the cons try to rent to have the event at anytime or any year. in a way i hope it becomes a neutral resolve. and hope all just goes right for the most part.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
I think part of what might be urging CCI on is that SLCC/their parties actually filed to have CCI's trademark cancelled AND accused them of fraudulently obtaining the copyright CCI already holds. So basically they're claiming that CCI, knowingly I believe, lied to USPTO to get it.

If that's found true, it's punishable by fines, imprisonment, or both; though I'm not in the field so I have no idea how frequently that actually happens even if there is fraud found. Even if it's not taken that far often, it wouldn't be good for CCI regardless.

So that could be further pushing CCI to keep pursuing it, giving in on the big trial case would look bad in regard to the trademark dispute.

Of note, CCI's held the trademark for a while and I'm pretty sure they have no interest in going after everyone who uses Comic Con. I'm sure this is just because of the aggressive, and misleading to many people, advertising during SDCC, to make a point. That led to SLCC petitioning to cancel the trademark etc. and probably further incentive to keep pursuing it to trial.

Of course, this is just speculation, but SLCC "linked" (at least they tried to...) to the petition with USPTO with the alleged actions regarding USPTO.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.