Author Topic: Mission Beach  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Nicodimas

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
Mission Beach
« on: April 16, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »
Anyone ever stay at the beaches and UBER in, how long would that take in terms of travel...cost?

Or just a terrible terrible idea?

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
Re: Mission Beach
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »
Should take between 20-30 mins based on traffic.

Cost also depends on time of day. According to one of my receipts it cost $19 from the convention center to hotel circle during the evening. I know it was less when we took one during the morning.

I would suggest playing around with the Uber app and see what the results are for price and distance. Also maybe see how much cheaper it would cost if you were to be picked up or dropped off at the nearest shuttle route from Mission Beach.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:24:48 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
We've stayed at the Dana before, though this was before the days of Uber/Lyft. One transportation option you have is the #8 bus which goes from Mission Beach to the Old Town transit station where you can catch the trolley.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
The beaches are cool but aren't very well connected to public transportation.  There are buses but they are time consuming.  That's why many people who come for comic-con get hotels all along the trolley line all the way out to Santee.  I've met people on the trolley who stay all the way out there.  Hotel prices just don't jump downtown or in Mission/Fashion valley for comic-con.  Even 20 miles east they double or more.  I just checked a motel that a week before comic-con goes for $100/night.  During comic-con they are $250/night and it looks like they are about to sell out.  Many motels already have.

There is a place I know of.  It's far out and far from the trolley but they run a shuttle bus right to Petco Park.  They just opened up an expansion.  That's the only reason it's still available since the new tower isn't bookable by any of the booking websites yet.  The old part is which is sold out.  They haven't raised prices for comic-con.  I just checked and it's about $159/night but it's nice for that price.  Much nicer than the motel I spoke of earlier for $250/night.  But it is far out, 40 mins using their shuttle.  Which I guess isn't that bad since some of the comic-con shuttles are 40 mins too.  The shuttle also doesn't run that frequently.  To Petco Park it's about once every 3 hours.

Offline imecoli

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
Unless staying by the water is a must, look for hotels along the trolley stops. Do not rely on the coaster, it has a lousy schedule, the trolly runs more frequently and is ~$5 for a day pass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk