Author Topic: Introduction to the Staff and why the forum is the way it is  (Read 5533 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Introduction to the Staff and why the forum is the way it is
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
The Friends of Comic Con International (CCI) Forum started with a group of fans who congregated daily on the CCI Facebook page to meet, chat, ask & answer questions, and have fun.  As part of answering questions, the group utilized the Discussion Page feature of Facebook to answer repeat questions that were asked on the wall.  But then one day, Facebook discontinued the Discussion Page feature.  Not wishing this type of information to be lost, one brave woman created the Friends of CCI forum and the rest is history. 

It is a place that was created with a lot of pain and even more love by fans of Comic Con International for fans of Comic Con International where people can continue to meet, chat, ask & answer questions, and have fun.  We hope you find it helpful. (1)

It is a place were we can ask questions without being concerned with flaming or disrespectful responses. 

(1) Chris Chen
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:54:27 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
Re: Introductions, themes and biographies
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
My name is Alyssa, as the above post says I started this forum as a place to keep information in Wiki fashion from year to year.  The community that developed is a wonderful by product I did not anticipate.  I have really tried to maintain a board that is helpful, friendly and full of historical information.

I live in the New England as a result I am ahead of CA by 3 hours. I attend the Con with my son, Lewis.  He's 13. My husband does not come all tho I have hopes he might one year.<grin>
I go for comic's, exclusives and TV/movie panels in that order.  I find my taste has shifted over the years from the big movie panels to TV & comics.  Most of my contributions to the board are in the TV section.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:45:55 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:24 AM »
Greetings!  I'm Zero.  I initially stumbled upon this forum community through that fated "Discussion Page" on CCI's official facebook profile, and sometime later on, I approached Alyssa about helping with and maintaining the forums.  The rest is history.

I'm originally from Los Angeles, but after living in San Diego for almost ten years, I consider myself a local--it's now my second home. 

As for Comic-Con, I love the atmosphere of being surrounded by people with the same interests as I do: comics, TV, movies, cosplay, anime, manga, and video games.  I think of Comic-Con as a break from reality.  It's five days of nothing but appreciating all of the fandoms near and dear to your heart.

So, live, laugh, and enjoy your stay on the Friends of Comic Con Forums! ^-^/

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:32:27 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
Name: Chris “Comic Con” C
Serial Number: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Race:  Of course, sir, I’m an elf.
Super Power:  I can break anything as long as I don’t know that it’s supposed to be unbreakable.
Skills: I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication including, but not limited to: nerd, dork, and geek.
Comic Con Objectives: To walk the exhibit hall like Caine in Kung Fu.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:44:18 PM by Chris "Hail Hydra" »

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
My "name" is Chris Hagish and much like Kvthai that is not my real name.  With so many Chris Cs running around i figured it would be easier this way, not to mention a much cooler name  8)

I have been going to SDCC for many years now, long enough that I don't remember how long.  I do remember (now sit down cause this will shock you) buying badges in April and getting a discount for "pre-buying" them.  I meet up with Alyssa a few years back when FB still had a discussion area.  At that time we formed up a group and have been helping out friends in getting badges and finding killer swag.  With the loss of the discussion area and our fingers going numb from repetitive typing, Alyssa created the FoCCI forums and I gladly came to join her in her effort to help others and record any info that may get lost.

I personally go to SDCC for many reasons.  It just feels like home when you are there. I love Sci fic and fantasy both in books and film.  I read Max Brooks Zombie Survival guide like its a bible, and yes i have a plan but no i wont tell you what it is!  While i never Cos-play myself i love masquerade.  So if your looking for someone to talk to and a place to sit down on Saturday you will find me in the Masquerade line waiting like a kid on Xmas.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Hi, everyone - in case we haven't chatted before, I'm Leonard from Cleckheaton in West Yorkshire. 2013 will be my fourth Comic-Con in a row; my first, in 2010, was my honeymoon trip with my then-new wife Caroline, a Welsh woman born and bred.

I'd heard of Comic-Con for years before, just as it had started getting insanely popular. However, when I saw (or rather, heard) the crowd reaction of Hall H to the teaser footage to Tron: Legacy, I was determined to make my way to San Diego. It would be not only my first Con, but also my first trip to California, to America - and my honeymoon? Big trip!

As it happens, it didn't take much convincing Caroline to come with; while my interest covers from my comic book collecting back in my youth and sci-fi, Caroline's is very much genre TV (Buffy, Star Trek and the like). And when I put it her to head to Comic-Con as the high point of a California honeymoon, she jumped at it.

That first year, we were blown away by the sheer scale of the event - who wouldn't be? And to be in the room for The Avengers presentation, to meet all the artist and writer talent that had influenced me over the years, to give my wife the opportunity to ask a question at the Sons Of Anarchy panel... amazing! And we had to go back - and we did!

Last year was a particular highlight as, directly after the 2011 Con, I set up a UK Attendees Group on Facebook which has, in time, developed into a highly passionate and bonding bunch of friends - brilliant people, to a man. We met up in person for the first time last year, on the patio of the Hilton Gaslamp, on Preview Night - stepping onto that porch was one of the most surreal moments of my life. Y'see, as part of setting up the Group, I had to come up with a logo so, very quickly and rushed, I threw something together in Photoshop, adapting the SDCC logo, swapping the 'eye' for a British comics icon - Judge Dredd - and adding a UK flag badge.

To find that a number of the Group had taken it upon themselves to download the logo from Facebook and print off souvenir t-shirts - and to then walk out to meet this group of strangers, all wearing them - was one of the most gratifying moments of my life. That this bunch had found solidarity thanks to something I'd thrown on Facebook at 3am on a Wednesday morning put a lump in my throat!

This year, I'm trying my best to help out again, anyway I can - as a mod, here, keeping an infrequent eye on things; keeping the UK Attendees Group ticking over; volunteering at the Con (second year on the trot); setting up a SDCC presence over on Google+... it's all keeping me busy! Hope to meet you all in person in July!

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
&quot;I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.&quot;
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."