Author Topic: The Matrix Resurrections ***Spoilers***  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
The Matrix Resurrections ***Spoilers***
« on: December 17, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »
Take the red pill to put spoilers here.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: The Matrix Resurrections ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
It was like watching a black screen with no story.

Though I should point out that while sitting in the theater waiting for it to start the whole theater shut down.

Sorry theaters HBO MAX it is, as I am not sure when my theater will re-open.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:48:11 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »
I thought it was OK.  Just OK.  I'm rewatching The Matrix again right now.  It's such a good movie.  Nothing that's come in the franchise since has come close to being as good.  It holds up well for a 20 year old movie.  I even think the 20 year old special effects are better than those in this new movie.  Everything just looks more cinematic.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 02:48:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  What happened? Did the theatre lose power or something?

We watched it on HBO Max last night. It was a bit confusing in the beginning, but we stuck with it. It ended up being a decent film (better than the third film, for sure) but yeah, not groundbreaking like the first one. Honestly, the first one is so good, nothing could ever live up to it.

This being said, I'll bet that it makes enough money to do 2 more.  Then they're have a Star Wars-like second trilogy.

Since this is a spoiler thread, I'll say that one of our favorite moments (had us literally laughing out loud) was the appearance of the Merovingian and his half-French rant. And when NPH called him 'Merv'.

Also, what was with the woman leading the game design meeting being dressed like Sandy from Grease? Was that on purpose?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 03:32:56 AM »
Began the watch.

Waves of nausea.

Back to the first movie.

Ah....sweet relief.

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 10:23:59 AM »
I wish they had done a real reboot of the franchise with a fresh crew.  IMO, the most interesting character in this new movie was Bugs.  I would love to see them do a movie centered around her crew.  As they explained repeatedly in this movie, it's not the same matrix.  Why not branch off a new narrative?  They did introduce new ideas, I just wish they had carried those forward instead of making the central story about the old characters.

The way the movie ended was a setup for more movies but it still seems centered on Neo and Trinity.  I wish they had done a hand off like in Star Trek Generations.  Reboot the franchise by bringing back the old characters for nostalgia and name recognition.  But use that as a spring board to launch the new characters and narrative.

At least this process has lead to the new Matrix video game.  Which looks incredible.  It looks more like the original Matrix than this movie does.  I'm sure someone will edit together all the cut scenes to make a movie out of it and post it on youtube.  Here's the teaser for the game.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:33:37 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »
Okay movie at best. Yet it lost me a bit after saying WB forced Neo to make Matrix 4. Lol

I think the first 3 Matrix films still better, with #1 still being the best. 4 did not have anything memorable in fights nor action scenes.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  What happened? Did the theatre lose power or something?

No clue they had power.  Watched it on HBOmax though and found it enjoyable.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
Super low numbers for the first weekend, I'm really surprised!  Just $12M.  We saw it on Christmas Day in a nearly full theatre and enjoyed it.  We watched the original on Christmas Eve so we were ready!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 04:04:25 PM »
I absolutely adored this movie.  The first Act, going UBER meta (especially mentioned "Warner Bros is requesting a sequel..." had me lol'ing so hard), as well as the way Lana Wachowski "rebooted/reframed(kinda)/sequalized" the original trilogy was really entertaining.  All of the new characters clicked for me, particularly Jonathan Groff as 'Smith' being both an Agent Smith as well as Neo's partner; I thought Groff was both funny and really menacing at times.  Same thing for Neil Patrick Harris as The Analyst.  New good guys Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (who gave a great spin as a pseudo-reboot of Morpheus) and Jessica Henwick as Bugs (who felt like the 'next gen' Morpheus as far as her enthusiasm and dedication for finding and bringing back 'the One'/Neo - going against orders and risking A LOT to do so) was great.  After doing a rewatch of the original Trilogy, I think this is easily the best of the MATRIX sequels: the one that brings the most newness to the story in both a funny and entertaining way.

I totally get why this movie is divided, but remember: so where both of the sequels (which I like in a "these are entertaining buy wildly flawed" way).  I appreciate the vision of co-writer/director Lana W. revisiting her creation with 'fresh eyes,' so to speak: not only has a lot of time passed since REVOLUTIONS ended the original trilogy in 2003, but she has personally gone through A LOT of changes (not just the obvious, but she also lost both of her parents & a close friend in a short span before decided to use the 'resurrecting' of Neo & Trinity as a catharsis for dealing with her massive loss).  I do agree with others that once we get to Act 3 the film treads some of the same ground, but I _ADORE_ the fact that Lana kept the theme similar.  RESURRECTIONS is all about love and personal connections; subverting the script to give Trinity the power was a wonderful touch!  While there are times that this film does indeed (intentionally, I suspect) feel like a 'cover' of the original MATRIX, I think there is juuuuust enough of a new spin to make this really entertaining in its own right.  Heck, I even dug the "Wake Up" Rage Against The Machine cover that closed the film (of course echoing the original song that closed out THE MATRIX when Neo warned the machines before flying off into the sky).

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 08:57:14 AM »
MATRIX RESURRECTIONS is leaving HBO Max this week, Jan. 22.  So if you haven't seen it yet, or you want to see it again, it leaves Jan. 22.

I've probably watched this 4 or 5 times in the last month, and I really can't stress how much I appreciate this film.  Not only does it look stunning and vibrant (you can see its vibrant contrast within the film when they show 'flashbacks' to previous Matrix films that had that green tint - which was effective, for sure, but different), and not only does it to an AMAZING job of having fun with its meta-ness (not only meta within its own universe, but also poking fun at stuff like "our studio, Warner Bros, is insisting we do another Matrix sequel with or without us," which is darned near a _direct quote_, but has fun with its fanbase, detractors, internet commentators/bloggers, etc.).  This film emphasizes love: a true human emotion.  MATRIX RESURRECTIONS stresses that the totality of Neo & Trinity's rebellion/existence within this universe is ALL about love.

Corny?  Perhaps.  Remember this is coming from a place where the Wachowskis lost their parents, and co-writer/director Lana lost a good friend as well; she channeled her emotions, dealing with these heavy losses, via The Matrix universe - both in a "well, my parents and good friend are dead BUT I can revive Neo and Trinity!" way, as well as thematically via the love theme.  I'm a sappy romantic at heart, incredibly happily married for 23+ years so that stuff still resonates with me.  But THE MATRIX RESURECTIONS resonates because it accomplishes all these things with some awesome choreography, a relatively smart story as far as a reboot goes, and an intense climax that combines the awesome stunt work we expect from The Matrix with an infinite swarm of zombie-esque antagonists.

I don't know if there are more stories to tell within The Matrix, and I'm typically not a big fan of "rank all the movies in the series!" but I think this is the best Matrix sequel that accomplishes something the other two didn't for me: made both the 'real world' (ie Zion in the originals) good but inside the matrix lame (IMO the the first sequel was incredibly awesome in the matrix and not-so-much in Zion; the third reversed w/the Zion/real world stuff awesome and The Matrix stuff kind of blah). 
So if you have been procrastinating seeing this on HBO Max, see it this week before it's gone!