Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127268 times)

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #900 on: March 23, 2021, 05:18:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There have been some high profile cases of people doing vaccine tourism.  The first one that comes to my mind is that woman who flew up from Argentina to get vaccinated in Florida then bragged on social media about how she got the US to pay for her vaccination.  That wasn't the only case.  Canadians have been known to come down south of the border to get vaccinated.  In India, travel agents sell vaccination travel packages to get vaccinated in the US.  Let's just say this really doesn't sit well with a large portion of the population.  That's why many vaccination sites have residency requirements.
Yes, when you hear about those instances, it’s understandable why people push to keep it to that state or county’s residents, but as Tardis Mom mentioned, you also want to get those people who are traveling from one state to the next so they don’t bring it back and infect others. I’m praying that a lot of those Spring Breakers that were at Miami Beach weren’t from California. At my hospital, we just got our surgery center opened again after being closed for 2 1/2 months so the staff could open a unit at the hospital to help handle the surge of patients we had and just yesterday the hospital was finally able to ease the restriction of having family accompany a patient or visiting a patient in the hospital.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #901 on: March 23, 2021, 05:39:02 AM »
in a lot of places, residency is proved by a local bill. I may be nieve but don't snow birds have bills to pay in the winter residence?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #902 on: Today at 09:51:30 PM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #902 on: March 23, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »
Yes, when you hear about those instances, it’s understandable why people push to keep it to that state or county’s residents, but as Tardis Mom mentioned, you also want to get those people who are traveling from one state to the next so they don’t bring it back and infect others. I’m praying that a lot of those Spring Breakers that were at Miami Beach weren’t from California. At my hospital, we just got our surgery center opened again after being closed for 2 1/2 months so the staff could open a unit at the hospital to help handle the surge of patients we had and just yesterday the hospital was finally able to ease the restriction of having family accompany a patient or visiting a patient in the hospital.

I would like to think that the spring breakers were from the eastern half of the states. 

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #903 on: March 23, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
in a lot of places, residency is proved by a local bill. I may be nieve but don't snow birds have bills to pay in the winter residence?

We do have a lot of people with a second home in Phoenix, but there are also a good number who rent a place for 3-5 months and return year after year.  Plus the tourists at the resorts.  Here they're requesting a photo ID most place, I think.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #904 on: March 23, 2021, 10:11:22 AM »
We do have a lot of people with a second home in Phoenix, but there are also a good number who rent a place for 3-5 months and return year after year.  Plus the tourists at the resorts.  Here they're requesting a photo ID most place, I think.
My parents said all they were required to show was photo ID matching the appointment names.  They're obviously thrilled that snowbirds, and even Spring Training baseball tourists can get vaccinated (they live in Goodyear, where Cleveland & Cinci MLB clubs do their spring training, and are only about 20 mins from Peoria where San Diego & Seattle train) so, theoretically, everyone around them at least has the opportunity to be vaccinated.

In Jan. I _LOATHED_ the thought of rich people cutting in line and getting vaccinated 'out-of-turn;' nowadays, at least in CA and where my parents live (i.e. places I have information about), it seems a bit easier for folks to get vaccinated.  At this point I kind of think we're need to be in "vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible" mode.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #905 on: March 23, 2021, 11:42:17 AM »
Side effect report 2 days after my 2nd shot.  None.  Even the ever so slight soreness at the injection side when I laid on my side was gone last night.  So in my little pod, it's 0 for 4 for side effects worth mentioning.

I talked to someone earlier today who got the J&J vaccine last week. I was surprised to hear she had the more significant side effects like body aches, fever, major chills, etc. from the one dose (on par with the side effects usually heard of from the Moderna or Pfizer 2nd dose). She's in her mid-20s, essential worker. Maybe being young really kicks those side effects up a gear. She was thankful that she had the whole weekend to recover because the symptoms were severe enough to not allow her to sleep properly that first night.

That's probably because she already had covid, whether she knew it or not.  Some people that have had covid report side effects associated with the second dose, since for them the first dose is effectively their second dose.  That's why it's been proposed that people who have had covid only need to get 1 dose.

At this point I kind of think we're need to be in "vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible" mode.

I think that really depends on what the local conditions are.  The first place to open it up to all with no restrictions, a town in Arizona, was quite clear why they did it.  They had vaccine.  They had the people to administer the vaccine.  They didn't have enough people willing to be vaccinated.  So they opened it up to all.  There's a large portion of the population that has vowed never to get vaccinated.  The states that have opened it up to all tend to be where a lot of those people live.  So yes, in those areas why not open it up to all instead of letting vaccine expire on the shelf.  In other areas, people that have been eligible for weeks or months still can't get an appt.  In those areas it still makes sense to have residency requirements.

Moving through tiers quickly isn't necessarily good news.  It would be if everyone in the previously tiers had gotten vaccinated.  But that isn't the case.  If it were the percentage of the population vaccinated so far should be at least double of what it currently is.  The reason some areas have moved through the tiers so quickly and are now open to all is that a large portion of their population have chosen not to get vaccinated.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #906 on: March 23, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
has anyone had an itchy bump where they were vaccinated 8 days later?

I react to everything with bumps and itches- so it's not an uncommon thing. However, it is on the exact jab spot - and it's just a little bit larger then my normal itchy bumps
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #907 on: March 24, 2021, 04:55:54 PM »
Here are a list of businesses in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties that will have to remain completely closed even if we move up to the orange tier next week:

Concert venues
Convention centers
Festivals
Live theaters
Nightclubs
Saunas and steam rooms

Everything else not listed can be open with modifications/capacity limits.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #908 on: March 25, 2021, 12:04:02 AM »
has anyone had an itchy bump where they were vaccinated 8 days later?

I react to everything with bumps and itches- so it's not an uncommon thing. However, it is on the exact jab spot - and it's just a little bit larger then my normal itchy bumps

Yeah it's normal. I had it too with my 2nd shot. From this article:

The newly identified side effect has been dubbed "COVID arm," but medical experts have given it a slightly more professional label: delayed cutaneous hypersensitivity, which essentially means a delayed reaction on the skin....What makes this side effect a little unusual is that it doesn't appear straight away. "Typically, it shows up 5-9 days after the first shot," Dr. Jaliman says.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #909 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:56 AM »
Thanks, it was just odd. I'll expect it on shot 2

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #910 on: March 25, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
CA says 50+ eligible on 4/1, everyone else 4/15

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #911 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:48 PM »
Onion #2 got her shot today. Says it's a little sore, but that's it. I get mine tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #912 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »
My state, Minnesota, just went from only 65+ to 16+ overnight. My family all are scheduled and will be able to be together for the first time in over a year in six weeks. I’m a very happy dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #913 on: March 25, 2021, 09:53:10 PM »
That's fantastic news!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #914 on: March 26, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
My state, Minnesota, just went from only 65+ to 16+ overnight. My family all are scheduled and will be able to be together for the first time in over a year in six weeks. I’m a very happy dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea!

I've been bummed at the thought of my parents.  They moved from Columbus, OH (where both were born/raised/lived most their lives with the exception of a few years when I was first born when we lived outside of Cleveland) to AZ last spring after retiring: cross-country away from all of their life-long friends & family and the only community they've ever really known.  Their options for retiring were AZ or FL (where both sets of my grandparents retired to), and they chose AZ because it's "only" a 6 or so hour drive to/from San Diego where I live with their only grandkids (I'm an only child).  Of course, they moved only a few weeks after the world shutdown for the pandemic, and not only haven't been able to see us since moving, but had to cancel plans to go back to OH for first Thanksgiving and then Christmas.  They've made the most of it, and haven't acted too sad/disappointed the entire time, but I've been really bummed at the thought of them essentially moving to be closer to my family and then having to not only NOT see the grandkids since moving but also being away from all of their OH friends & family.
They're very excited about CA vaccinating all in a few weeks (my wife got her 2nd shot this am, and I'm getting my 2nd next Friday; our oldest, a 19 year old, will hopefully be fully vaccinated by mid-May).  They have passes to see the US Open Major golf tournament in San Diego in late June, and are anxious to see us; I'm hyped at the thought we should all be vaccinated (minus our 6 year old, of course) and be able to enjoy company again! 

Of course, I'm also kinda bummed because they live less than 10 minutes from Cleveland Indians (my original hometown MLB team), and about 20 mins from San Diego Padres (current 20+ year hometown team) Spring Training sights and I couldn't take advantage this spring.  They're house/guest rooms will likely be annual destinations for us & me + friends for future Spring Training vacations, though not this year  :(