Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127292 times)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
Got my first pfizer dose on March 26th and surprisingly (considering my vaccine reactions from the past) only had a bad headache. My second dose has been automatically scheduled for April 16th and we'll see if I get heavier side-effects then. My friend spiked a really high fever after her second pfizer dose and felt awful for a full weekend after. So, I'm just fingers-crossed at the moment.

My mum who's worked shifts at RIMAC UCSD recommended that I go early even though I could go just about anytime on my appointment day (according to her.) I nearly walked straight through, though there were a ton of people though. Apparently, it starts getting very busy around 1:30pm-2:00pm. It was very efficient with a self-timed 15 minute observation period. I stayed a bit longer to spin Pokestops because it was right in the middle of three lol.

I hope everyone gets to have their vaccines completed soon!
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2021, 01:38:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oddly, my mom is still reluctant to leave the house despite being fully vaccinated. I had to make a concerted effort to get her to just walk to the Doc's (a block away) or come with me & my dad to drop me off at the airport.

I think it's smart.  Even though I, and people that I commonly come in contact with are fully vaccinated with 2 doses, I still have't changed my routine much.  Really the only thing I do now that I rarely did before is go in to stores.  Somethings just can't be picked up through curbside.  I still wear a N95 mask, I still mostly wear a face shield and I still go through hand sanitizer.

Manaus is the cautionary tale.  They hit 76% of the population infected/recovered last October.  They declared themselves the first city in the world to hit herd immunity.  They dropped what little precautions they had and opened up.  It was back to business as usual.  That worked well for a few months.  Then P.1 hit.  Now Manaus is worse than it ever was.  People who believed they were immune since they already had covid weren't against P.1.  This is what that dude up at UCSF says about them and us.

“Manaus got hit really hard because they dropped all of their mitigations, and they didn’t have an adequate state of herd immunity,” says Warner Greene, a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, and founding director of Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology. “This false sense of security, it’s kind of like right now [in the U.S.],” he says. “I think we're gonna get hit really hard.”

I'm going to keep up with precautions until community prevalence drops.  Right now, even as more people have gotten vaccinated, cases are still high.  The holiday super surge went though but instead of continuing to decline we leveled off at the summer surge and have even risen back up a bit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:40:52 PM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #932 on: Today at 02:27:01 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »
Oddly, my mom is still reluctant to leave the house despite being fully vaccinated. I had to make a concerted effort to get her to just walk to the Doc's (a block away) or come with me & my dad to drop me off at the airport.

I get that; I know a few folks that have massive anxiety about getting back to "normal."  My wife was told recently that her office will be starting to go back to work in-person at some point in the not-too-distant future and she is REALLY freaking out about it (even though she's 8 days post her 2nd dose and will have full vaccine efficacy by the time she has to go back in-person).  I think I felt that way too for a bit, before our students started coming back in-person, but I realized all I can do is control my little corner of the school world and try not to worry too much about the (myriad of) things outside of my own control.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »
Make sure you've scheduled some downtime the day after...I didn't think it'd affect me that much, but whoa.
Seriously!  The 1st dose for me was pretty much EZPZ, with nothing more than "a slightly sore arm."  The 2nd dose kinda kicked my butt for 36 hours or so.  I didn't have a fever, but I was exhausted and quite nauseous most of the day after (the first day, getting the shot at 3:15ish, I was just kind of tired).  I legit felt like I had a flu.

Luckily, I kind of forced myself to eat and drink a bit of gatoraid and by about 9:30/10pm I felt fine.  This am I feel great: not even much of a sore arm, to be honest.  I got hit a bit harder than my wife did, who was mostly just drowsy for the weekend she got her shot.  I was very glad I didn't have any work to catch up on and I could just crash for the weekend (though today I'm catching up on house work I likely would've done yesterday - oddly, I'm so happy to feel better I _almost_ enjoy being able to do the work).

So now I have 12 days until I feel like I can maybe go to a ballgame or go to a movie theater again!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #934 on: April 06, 2021, 11:22:11 AM »
California to fully reopen on June 15.  Gavin just announced it.  Although, of course, they reserve the right to change that date depending on how things go.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #935 on: April 06, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
California to fully reopen on June 15.  Gavin just announced it.  Although, of course, they reserve the right to change that date depending on how things go.
True! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still some caveat/restrictions for large events (like conventions), but this is definitely great news.  CA currently has the lowest transmission rate in the country, and one of the highest vaccination rates in the country so I'm hoping this is a legit "light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter by the day" situation.  It's such a juxtaposition to read about how other parts of the country are going downhill and getting worse with COVID while CA (and San Diego where I live) are rocking; I sincerely hope CA can maintain all of these great trends!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #936 on: April 06, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
June 15th is ambitious.  That would mean that everyone would have to have their first shot, unless they are one shotting, by the end of the month.

Coming off the super surge, the positivity rate in San Diego plummeted from up high to as low as 1%.  I think currently it's around 2%.  So we are in good shape.  So good that I went against my stay at home mantra and I was out and about for about 3 hours yesterday.  I'm still wearing my mask and liberally using hand sanitizer but otherwise it was a pre-covid shopping trip.  I even got and ate food.  The one very good thing I noticed is how many more people wear masks.  Indoors, I didn't see a single person not wearing a mask.  Which is in distinct contrast to what I saw last year.  Even outdoors there seems to be high compliance now.  What a difference a different administration makes.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9691
« Reply #937 on: April 06, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »
Call me cynical, but I suspect that the June 15 date is not coincidental. Isn't that about the time of the gubernatorial recall election?

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #938 on: April 06, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
Call me cynical, but I suspect that the June 15 date is not coincidental. Isn't that about the time of the gubernatorial recall election?

I think it will be no earlier than November but I’m sure the recall is on the back of his mind, hence June 15.  If so, that is a bad reason to announce reopening.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #939 on: April 07, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
I think it would be naive to think this decision (happening near the start of summer - technically 5 days before the start of summer) wasn't at least partially driven around the recall.

Don't get me wrong: CA as of a few days ago had the lowest positivity rate in the country AND the highest vaccination rate.  We're kicking butt on both of those fronts, and it's exciting to feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is indeed getting brighter by the week.

But yeah, while I don't think this is TOTALLY driven by the recall, I think there's no way it's not at least slightly driven by the recall campaign.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #940 on: April 07, 2021, 05:26:10 PM »
Both my little brother and my sister-in-law got their second Pfizer doses this week through Sharp.  I’ll get my second Moderna dose next week.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #941 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
Finally got my first dose! Pfizer at CSU Bakersfield. They're taking anyone 16 and up for walk-ins, nothing required but an ID.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #942 on: April 07, 2021, 06:01:40 PM »
Just saw Costco is giving vaccines.  I picture it now: "wait...why am I scheduled for 9 separate doses?!"

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #943 on: April 07, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »
Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I was able to go to the DMV.  It wasn't as bad as I imagined.  Except for a couple of people, everyone was very good about wearing masks.  At the back of the line everyone was social distancing at least 6 feet apart.  But the closer to the front of the line, the closer people stood to each other.  The whole process took 3.5 hours.  They really should allow the elderly to skip to the front.  One older person passed out while waiting in line outside.

I really don't understand why the DMV has the policies it has.  Instead of making it walk ins only, except for driving tests, during the pandemic it should be appts only and no walk ins.  The reason I went in was to pay my yearly registration fee.  I wasn't allowed to do it online or by phone or using the kiosk.  I had to do it in person at a field office.  But there was nothing special that happened.  The rep took my notice and my payment and that was it.  Why couldn't I have done that online?

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
« Reply #944 on: April 07, 2021, 08:40:57 PM »
Finally got my first dose! Pfizer at CSU Bakersfield. They're taking anyone 16 and up for walk-ins, nothing required but an ID.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wow, I didn’t think they had started that demographic yet, still thought it was 50 and above, although I did hear that LA County had a lot of open appointments that weren’t being booked, maybe the counties that have unused appointments decided, what the heck, let’s just get people vaccinated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23