Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127260 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #945 on: April 07, 2021, 09:49:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, I didn’t think they had started that demographic yet, still thought it was 50 and above, although I did hear that LA County had a lot of open appointments that weren’t being booked, maybe the counties that have unused appointments decided, what the heck, let’s just get people vaccinated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, LA County (where I live) is still 50+ for eligibility, which is why I drove to Bakersfield. Apparently CSUB is has capacity for 5200 doses a day but have consistently only had about 1300 appointments. They've said that as long as that continues they'll continue to take all adult walk-ins.

Riverside County has also opened up to 16+ at all their sites, but most of them require you to be a County resident.

I mean, the flip side of this is that Kern County (where CSUB is) has a high level of vaccine hesitancy and a lower percentage of the resident population vaccinated, which sucks. But I will happily take a shot if no one wants it in Kern.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #946 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I was able to go to the DMV.  It wasn't as bad as I imagined.  Except for a couple of people, everyone was very good about wearing masks.  At the back of the line everyone was social distancing at least 6 feet apart.  But the closer to the front of the line, the closer people stood to each other.  The whole process took 3.5 hours.  They really should allow the elderly to skip to the front.  One older person passed out while waiting in line outside.

I really don't understand why the DMV has the policies it has.  Instead of making it walk ins only, except for driving tests, during the pandemic it should be appts only and no walk ins.  The reason I went in was to pay my yearly registration fee.  I wasn't allowed to do it online or by phone or using the kiosk.  I had to do it in person at a field office.  But there was nothing special that happened.  The rep took my notice and my payment and that was it.  Why couldn't I have done that online?
I had to go April 2020, and while it did indeed suck because it was a super long line, it was all masks + social distancing (and yeah, I stopped trying to find logic in DMV procedures a loooooong time ago  :P ).  Last spring, where things kept opening & closing frequently, things were way screwed up as they were still trying to reschedule stuff that had to be canceled in March when the state shut down.
Glad it wasn't too bad for ya!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:08:44 AM by perc2100 »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #947 on: Today at 07:26:39 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #947 on: April 08, 2021, 09:22:52 AM »
I mean, the flip side of this is that Kern County (where CSUB is) has a high level of vaccine hesitancy and a lower percentage of the resident population vaccinated, which sucks. But I will happily take a shot if no one wants it in Kern.

That's how it works.  The areas where there is a lot of vaccine hesitancy are the areas that opened up each tier early.  Because they did have all those doses with no takers.  That is a problem with the distribution.  It isn't based on demand, it's based on population.  So even in a town where no one is wiling to get vaccinated, they still get allocations based on their population.

I'm glad you were able to get vaccinated.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #948 on: April 09, 2021, 11:17:22 AM »
REALLY exciting news: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pfizer is asking the FDA for EAU for the COVID vaccine for 12-15 year olds.  This could be approved in 3-4 weeks, with that age children getting the vaccine by late spring/early summer!!
As a HS teacher, this is VERY MUCH exciting news!!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #949 on: April 10, 2021, 02:42:16 PM »
Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I was able to go to the DMV.  It wasn't as bad as I imagined.  Except for a couple of people, everyone was very good about wearing masks.  At the back of the line everyone was social distancing at least 6 feet apart.  But the closer to the front of the line, the closer people stood to each other.  The whole process took 3.5 hours.  They really should allow the elderly to skip to the front.  One older person passed out while waiting in line outside.

I really don't understand why the DMV has the policies it has.  Instead of making it walk ins only, except for driving tests, during the pandemic it should be appts only and no walk ins.  The reason I went in was to pay my yearly registration fee.  I wasn't allowed to do it online or by phone or using the kiosk.  I had to do it in person at a field office.  But there was nothing special that happened.  The rep took my notice and my payment and that was it.  Why couldn't I have done that online?

That’s weird, I’m always allowed to use the kiosk to renew my registration or go to AAA provided I bring cash.  I’ve been to my local DMV twice on unrelated matters and the longest I waited was half an hour and both times they were walk-ins.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #950 on: April 10, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »
I was able to pay my annual car registration fee online. The CA DMV has an online portal at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #951 on: April 11, 2021, 10:00:38 AM »
That’s weird, I’m always allowed to use the kiosk to renew my registration or go to AAA provided I bring cash.  I’ve been to my local DMV twice on unrelated matters and the longest I waited was half an hour and both times they were walk-ins.

Normally I do pay it online.  This time though, it woudn't let me.  I talked to the DMV desk at AAA and ask if I could renew it there.  They said I would have to go to a DMV field office.  I called up the DMV and asked if I could use the kiosk.  They said I would have to pay it in person with an agent.  Thus I expected the process to be special somehow.  But it wasn't.  They asked for the notice to get the info then they asked how I wanted to pay.  That was it.  Why couldn't I have paid that online?

That's definitely not my DMV.  It's a series of lines.  The longest is the line just to talk to someone to check you in to a virtual line.  Then you go sit in your car until they text you to come back back and wait in the waiting area.  So at my DMV, a cell phone is a requirement for an office visit.  The 3.5 hour break down was 2 hours in the check in line, 1 hour in the virtual line and then finally 30 minutes in the waiting area.  I consider myself lucky that it was only 3.5 hours.  Reading the yelp reviews before I went, I expected more.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:02:44 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #952 on: April 12, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
I got my 2nd dose 5 hr's ago and so far i have not noticed any effects.

I'll post if and at what time i started feeling and reaction to the jab
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #953 on: April 12, 2021, 07:37:06 PM »
I got my 2nd dose 5 hr's ago and so far i have not noticed any effects.

I'll post if and at what time i started feeling and reaction to the jab
Tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2021, 01:12:55 AM »
From my brother and sister-in-law who had the second doses of Pfizer:  “ ... I felt tired, feverish, achey, almost thought I caught Covid or something, but no cough or sore throat, then the day after I felt better than normal.”  My brother said his side effects lasted a day, but his wife’s effects lasted two days.

My turn at the second Moderna dose is Thursday.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #955 on: April 13, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »
fyi
12 hrs later the arm started hurting, about a level 2
19 hrs later fog like an allergy attack, slight head ach (level 1), arm is a level 4 pain, body feels like a dead weight. No stomach or digestive involvement.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #956 on: April 13, 2021, 12:24:36 PM »
fyi
12 hrs later the arm started hurting, about a level 2
19 hrs later fog like an allergy attack, slight head ach (level 1), arm is a level 4 pain, body feels like a dead weight. No stomach or digestive involvement.
Sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #957 on: April 13, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »
21-22  hrs: fever 100, no Tylenol is being used so far.
Desire: soup and cold liquid acquired

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1881
« Reply #958 on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
Water, water, water.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #959 on: April 13, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
Water, water, water.
I suspect had I taken this advice (which my wife gave a myriad of times during my "next day" issues), I would've had a much more OK day.  It wasn't until I...self-mediated...and then properly ate water & gatorade + ate some toast and dry cereal that I felt fine (great, actually, if I'm being honest  8) )