Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center Expansion  (Read 166543 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2020, 08:01:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maybe it'll get overwhelming support on the mail-in ballots  :(
there was talk of going to court and trying to get it adjusted down to a simple majority vs. requiring 2/3rds.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2020, 09:05:01 AM »
I was wondering about that; it feels like in a conservative town in particular getting a 2/3rds majority involving tax changes is incredibly difficult/nearly impossible.  Education bond measures require a 55%, meaning slightly more than simple majority but seemingly doable (though both my local district bond & the state-wide education bomb failed, albeit the state one at least got a little over 50% I think): maybe changing to that would be a compromise

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #977 on: Today at 04:07:45 AM »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #977 on: March 04, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
and it failed to get the two thirds majority needed to pass. Mesure c needed 66% but got 64%

:( :(
Not shocked.

Anything that has “higher taxes” on it, bet your life savings it won’t pass over there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:31:05 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #978 on: December 29, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

An ambitious $455 million project that would have added more than 1,000 rooms to San Diego’s downtown bayfront was rejected Monday by port commissioners who were troubled by the enormity of the development and its impacts on public vistas.

Proposed by longtime port tenants Ray Carpenter and Art Engel, the project envisioned a 44-story, 843-room hotel, plus a second five-story hotel with 220 rooms catering to budget-minded guests, located on the bay side of the San Diego convention center where city leaders have long wanted to expand the waterfront facility. In all, the development encompassed 18 acres, of which 13 are on the water where a 12-slip marina is situated.

Before the development could have moved forward, it needed the Port of San Diego to certify the environmental impact report, an action the commissioners were unwilling Monday to take. The net effect of their vote to not approve the environmental analysis was to kill the project. Even if the port had agreed to advance the development, it would have still required the consent of the Coastal Commission, which places a high priority on public spaces and coastal access.

The port action now leaves undeveloped a crucial site long coveted by the city for an enlarged convention center — a project that already has the blessing of the Coastal Commission. The expansion, though, remains in limbo because a ballot measure seeking to finance it with an increase in the city’s hotel room tax failed in March to garner the two-thirds majority support it needed for passage. Backers of the measure, however, remain encouraged because of a recent decision by the California Supreme Court to not hear an appeal of a lower court ruling in favor of the simple majority threshold.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #979 on: March 30, 2021, 09:31:23 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Measure C, a March 2020 ballot measure that sought to fund upgrades to San Diego's waterfront convention center and other services, didn't get the two-thirds supermajority it needed to pass, but the San Diego City Council says post-election appellate court rulings have established the simple majority as the new threshold for similar ballot items and wants to declare Measure C approved.

Measure C was put before San Diego voters in March, 2020. The citizens' initiative proposed an increase to taxes guests pay at San Diego hotels for the next 30 years. Revenue would have funded "convention center expansion, modernization, promotion and operations, homelessness services and programs, and street repairs," according to the city council.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #980 on: June 04, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »

The city of San Diego on Friday made good on its promise to ask a judge to confirm that last year’s ballot measure to fund an expanded convention center, homeless services and road repairs did indeed pass with a simple majority. In a lawsuit filed in Superior Court late in the day, City Attorney Mara Elliott’s office asked the court to determine that Measure C was lawfully enacted in March 2020 even though it fell short of the two-thirds majority voters at the time were told was needed for approval.

That requirement, argues the city, is no longer valid in light of three appellate court decisions that have since come down, concluding that simple majority approval is adequate when a tax hike is placed on the ballot by citizens, which was the case with Measure C.

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #981 on: September 14, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »
Apple had their event showing off all their new products, but the REAL news was that they included video from the new Rady Shell at Jacobs Park (where the symphony plays their outdoor shows by the bay).  To say the venue looks stunning would be an understatement, and I hope SDCC will bring it into the fold as an official venue for panels moving forward.  I cued up the video so you can see the shots of Rady as well as some pretty vistas of the convention center :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:37:20 PM by mdla »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #982 on: September 15, 2021, 12:07:43 PM »
Apple had their event showing off all their new products, but the REAL news was that they included video from the new Rady Shell at Jacobs Park (where the symphony plays their outdoor shows by the bay).  To say the venue looks stunning would be an understatement, and I hope SDCC will bring it into the fold as an official venue for panels moving forward.  I cued up the video so you can see the shots of Rady as well as some pretty vistas of the convention center :)

And some of the tech they're using for the concerts is amazing.  There's the obvious stuff, like the imagery they project onto the _sides_ of the shell (not just the screens that utilize cameras to show performers: I'm talking projections of animation-esque imagery in addition to the now-standard performers-on-the-big-screen stuff).  Not just cool colors like the Hollywood Bowl does (for example: when John Williams conducts music from ET they'll project rainbow colors around the Bowl; or red during the 'Imperial March'), but visuals that enhance the performances in different ways.
But there's also the stuff that's more "inside baseball" tech-wise.  For example, the way they're mic'ing the stage is really state-of-the-art technology.  You can see the myriad of mics hanging from the ceiling all over the stage (as well as the cameras, though some cameras are easier to spot than others), but their set-up is really unlike the vast majority of performing venues: certainly nothing like it elsewhere in San Diego that I know of.

I love our Shell, even though I've not had the pleasure of seeing as many concerts there as I'd like (I was _REALLY_ bummed to miss the Stewart Copeland "Police Deranged" gig due to having to work a HS football game  :( )

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #983 on: January 04, 2022, 08:29:19 AM »

yay!!

tl:dr, a simple majority is looking more and more likely
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #984 on: January 04, 2022, 08:30:50 AM »

yay!!

tl:dr, a simple majority is looking more and more likely
That’s fantastic!!  We were oh-so-close the last time.

Nearly a decade ago, I never thought this would drag on for so long.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #985 on: January 04, 2022, 10:01:31 AM »
I question if they even need an expansion now. I don't think Comic-Con will ever be as big as it once was. And conventions in general are shrinking and going away. A lot of money and work for a dim future. :(

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #986 on: January 04, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »
I question if they even need an expansion now. I don't think Comic-Con will ever be as big as it once was. And conventions in general are shrinking and going away. A lot of money and work for a dim future. :(
I don't think the expansion was just for SDCC LOL

but, it will be interesting to see how conventions come back and in what form.
imho, next season, Spring-Summer, will be a good indication.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #987 on: January 04, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
Yes, the expansion was for Comic-Con. No other conventions needed the extra space. San Diego wasn't losing conventions after the last expansion. I think a lot of companies realized after the shutdowns that conventions aren't necessary. I think it sucks because I love going to conventions in many different fields. >:(

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #988 on: January 04, 2022, 04:17:01 PM »
Yes, the expansion was for Comic-Con. No other conventions needed the extra space. San Diego wasn't losing conventions after the last expansion. I think a lot of companies realized after the shutdowns that conventions aren't necessary. I think it sucks because I love going to conventions in many different fields. >:(

I think they will come back.  There is nothing like real human interaction.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #989 on: January 05, 2022, 09:22:45 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about that yet. Not every expo/con is like E3 in that the bigger companies see it as totally unnecessary to visit to promote their products vs. holding their own events.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC