Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center Expansion  (Read 166555 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
I'm glad it was approved, but agree with you about the likely appeal. It drives me nuts in this country how people can't just accept a judgement and move on. There are appeals and more appeals and more appeals... sheesh! Even if I don't agree with the ruling, often I just want it to be over, KWIM?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
It looks like the appeal is already underway... with a Superior Court judge making a decision shortly?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:17:28 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
I came across an interesting article today, talking about how the way this expansion has been delayed has hurt the convention center.

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »
I came across an interesting article today, talking about how the way this expansion has been delayed has hurt the convention center.

I am staggered by efforts of some corners of the San Diego business and economic community to slow, if not halt, the expansion of the Convention Centre - forget just Comic-Con, the sheer revenue brought in throughout the year by that building is immense. They say SDCC is being courted by other major cities? Let's see how upset they are by having all these nerds take over their city when all that money just up sticks and buggers off...

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:51 AM »
i think the thing the naysayers forget is how much other business is brought in by the convention center.  big conventions that are less over whelming then sdcc can be a big money producer to the city.

short sighted.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Yzrfan

San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 06:33:08 AM »
Damned if the do and damned if they don't.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
I agree. I don't really understand why there are people against the expansion. The San Diegans aren't paying for it (it's being paid for by hotel taxes) and they will still have a public green space (albeit on the top if the building). The only 'legitimate' complaint was one I saw some time ago regarding unionized workers... I don't evn recall what that was, since I don't think construction companies have even been hired yet.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
The only legit complaint i saw was a report that stated the projected ocean lvls would put the ocean up into the convention center expansion in the next 20 years or something close to that. so the harbor commission was not suppose to give it the go ahead when they did...now people are using that as a reason to b***h.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
I agree. I don't really understand why there are people against the expansion. The San Diegans aren't paying for it (it's being paid for by hotel taxes) and they will still have a public green space (albeit on the top if the building). The only 'legitimate' complaint was one I saw some time ago regarding unionized workers... I don't evn recall what that was, since I don't think construction companies have even been hired yet.

Jun - every union wants a piece of the pie around here. There were people who stood for MONTHS outside of the local Henry's grocery market because they didn't have a union like some of the other grocery chains in San Diego.

I've also seen signs outside of the San Diego Volkswagen dealership because they used non-union labor to build a new facility...lots of "Shame On You!" signs. The unions would voice that wholeheartedly at Comic-Con if they don't use union labor for this expansion, because hey, it's national media coverage!

At any rate - let's hope this construction goes through without a hitch. I really want Comic-Con to stay around for a while longer, and I want to keep attending it for as long as they have it here in San Diego.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
If people want to do that kind of thing with their free time, let them. Free speech and all that, right? I'd love to see union people protesting at the Hall H line alongside the rligious extremists!  >:D

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »
Only if i get to make fun of them just as much.  Both are nuts that feel you must share their views or else.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
It's the California way these days, and it makes me sad.  Whenever anyone tries to build or add onto anything it seems everyone within a ~50 mile radius tries to block it or sue it to death.  High Speed Rail is another very good example.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Expansion Lawsuit
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »

Money talks and talk of the expansion allows the biggest convention in the country to stay in San Diego.  I really hope nothing comes of this and that the expansion happens quickly for all involved, including the attendees
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Stitch101

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
Re: Expansion Lawsuit
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
That didn't go anywhere. The article was posted July 4th, the court date was suppose to be July 11th. The end of that article said it all... They were trying to settle out of court, probably because they didn't have a case but knew the city doesn't want the project delayed any more and would be willing to pay them off just to avoid a long legal battle that would eat away at the expansion timeline. That's my own little conspiracy theory at least.

The newest article about the expansion that I found was posted July 18 and was about Mayor Bob Filner's annoucement of his support of the convention center expansion. He had been back and forth on the issue and never have a forthcoming answer on the topic before the announcement. His main reasoning behind finally backing the expansion? Comic Con! He said the city can't afford to lose it.

According to the article, the only hurdle the expansion has left is being approved by the Coastal Commision. That should happen sometime in October. I've heard that if its approved, construction could begin immediately and would most likely be completely done before SDCC 2016.
Hard work never killed anybody... but why take a chance?

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Re: Expansion Lawsuit
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
That didn't go anywhere. The article was posted July 4th, the court date was suppose to be July 11th. The end of that article said it all... They were trying to settle out of court, probably because they didn't have a case but knew the city doesn't want the project delayed any more and would be willing to pay them off just to avoid a long legal battle that would eat away at the expansion timeline. That's my own little conspiracy theory at least.

The newest article about the expansion that I found was posted July 18 and was about Mayor Bob Filner's annoucement of his support of the convention center expansion. He had been back and forth on the issue and never have a forthcoming answer on the topic before the announcement. His main reasoning behind finally backing the expansion? Comic Con! He said the city can't afford to lose it.

According to the article, the only hurdle the expansion has left is being approved by the Coastal Commision. That should happen sometime in October. I've heard that if its approved, construction could begin immediately and would most likely be completely done before SDCC 2016.

So was there a pre-trial settlement?  I know Port Officials were waiting for Filner's support before sending their response to the Coastal Commission but I haven't heard anything about the settlement.  I like your conspiracy theory, nothing goes together like money and politics.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster