Author Topic: Nerd HQ Not Happening in 2017  (Read 28037 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: Nerd HQ 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree. I didn't end up going last year, but the year before that (so 2015) they were cool with me putting in on my badge lanyard instead of my wrist which was MUCH better.

I found out the hard way that it's impossible to loosen the wristband after you've tightened it.  So, I cut it off and attached it to my lanyard.  But, that's not what's annoying.  Requiring everyone to tap in and tap out is the annoying part.

Offline Foxygrandpa83

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »
I get a little less enthused every year.  Last year, I made attempts to buy tickets to two panels and scored neither one.  It's such a scramble to get tickets to the panels, that it's hard to get excited beforehand until you see what you can actually get tickets to.

The content in the space itself seemed to be mostly video games and I don't do video games.  So, I didn't stick around too long.  There was no point.

The dance party was fun, though.  That's the only thing I spent a decent amount of time at.

Maybe they'll have some new panels that get me excited to try for tickets this year.

Agree! There isn't as much to do there anymore.  Unless you are one of the lucky few to get a Conversations ticket, there's nothing really to do other than fight for a couch to people watch. The last couple of years, we walked through, glanced at everything, and left. We were bored. I feel like there is so much potential for Nerd HQ... :(

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Nerd HQ Not Happening in 2017
« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:55:48 PM »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
I didn't get to go at all last year but I hope to check it out at least for an hour sometime this year. I know my first year it was awesome to kick back on one of the couches, charge my phone, and like was mentioned people watch.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
There seemed to be more to do when it was at Petco Park, most likely because there was more space. The past couple of years at the children's museum certainly made it less of a place to hang out (because there just wasn't as much space), but it was still a neat place to visit. I especially enjoyed the Coke machine they had because you could personalize a can. I FINALLY found a souvenir with my name on it :) They also have some great photo ops that are open to everyone wiling to wait in line. You just have to watch their Twitter feed and/or their app.

I'm hoping to score some conversation tickets again, as they're so much more intimate and interactive than any panels at SDCC. But even if I don't, I'll stop by and visit because I support the cause.
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »
I enjoyed the Krave cereal bar they had last year! A simple yet favorite snack of mine and it was much needed after a long day walking around the Con and all of downtown.

I really appreciated the changes they made to the conversations from the previous year; I was only able to score tickets to one (I tried many!) and they added stadium seating and AC! As with anything, I expect Nerd HQ is going through growing pains at the new(ish) venue, and I expect they will continue to make improvements each year.
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
Gonna have to agree that it was much better at Petco park.  More space. More things to do. Natural stadium seating as it's a, well.. stadium.  Better cell coverage too.  Children's museum is so tiny in comparison. I wonder why they changed? Too expensive at Petco Park?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
Gonna have to agree that it was much better at Petco park.  More space. More things to do. Natural stadium seating as it's a, well.. stadium.  Better cell coverage too.  Children's museum is so tiny in comparison. I wonder why they changed? Too expensive at Petco Park?

Yes, I believe it was a cost issue. And Nerdist outbid them for the space. ;)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
Yes, I believe it was a cost issue. And Nerdist outbid them for the space. ;)

I believe I also heard that Petco raised their prices for renting of the space, and Zac Levi took quite a monetary hit on HQ in 2014 (or whatever the year before the crowd funding was).

I do miss Petco, but I understand why they moved. The fact that they fixed the issue with the seating and the AC is good enough for me.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
I liked the locations these past few years and I feel they took advantage their space effectively.

AC and the raised seating worked very well in 2016. The heat has been a bigger factor these past 2 years IMO.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
Zachery Levi was at C2E2 over the weekend and one of the things he mentioned in his panel was the hope to one day have Nerd HQ travel to other cons like C2E2 and NYCC.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
Zachery Levi was at C2E2 over the weekend and one of the things he mentioned in his panel was the hope to one day have Nerd HQ travel to other cons like C2E2 and NYCC.
He did have a booth at NYCC a few years back. IMO it was a popular booth and the effectively used the space to sell merchandise , photo ops, and signings. They had a number of celebs stop by throughout the con to support the cause.

Whoopi Goldberg stopped by with a TV crew from the View to film a segment.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »
My son spends so much time at NerdHQ doing the video game demos, we're actually using proximity to the Children's Museum as a factor in the hotel lottery.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »

I actually liked it best the 2nd year when it was at a bar.  It was near my hotel and I would just pop in and sit at the bar for a drink and/or something to eat.  It was easy to just strike up a conversation with the people next to you.  Very social.  Every so often the Nerd HQ folks could come out and have a raffle or announce a photo op.  It was more of a hang out. Now, it feels more corporate.

I like the dance party a little bit, but it is a madhouse.  I've heard there is pushing and shoving near the front whenever Zac appears.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
I actually liked it best the 2nd year when it was at a bar.  It was near my hotel and I would just pop in and sit at the bar for a drink and/or something to eat.  It was easy to just strike up a conversation with the people next to you.  Very social.  Every so often the Nerd HQ folks could come out and have a raffle or announce a photo op.  It was more of a hang out. Now, it feels more corporate.

I like the dance party a little bit, but it is a madhouse.  I've heard there is pushing and shoving near the front whenever Zac appears.

I missed the second year, but I went the first year, which was also at a bar. I also loved it there, but since it was the first year it wasn't nearly as crowded.  I can see why they had to ditch the bar space due to crowds, but damn I wish we could have that back. It's far to popular now though.

I'm sorta proud that I went to the first ever Nerd HQ.  I'm gonna cling to those bragging points lmao.   :D

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
I missed the second year, but I went the first year, which was also at a bar. I also loved it there, but since it was the first year it wasn't nearly as crowded.  I can see why they had to ditch the bar space due to crowds, but damn I wish we could have that back. It's far to popular now though.

I'm sorta proud that I went to the first ever Nerd HQ.  I'm gonna cling to those bragging points lmao.   :D

Were you at the Chuck Meet-Up that was the year BEFORE the first Nerd HQ?  That was great, too.

I went the first year, too.  I know it's too popular to go back to that set-up, but I can still reminisce.  Some of the best things are when you are an early adoptor before the crowds discover it and change it into something else.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:51:07 PM by dkd »