Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24335 times)

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
That’s going to vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  In Miami, the police issued citations to people for not wearing masks.  New York cited businesses that didn’t comply with pandemic requirements.  I know some businesses in my state were shut down for noncompliance.  I didn’t say every state would mandate vaccinations, just that I doubt mine will be the only one.
Plus our governor’s term is up next year and our governors can’t run for re-election, so he may not have much political capital to lose by enforcing a vaccine mandate.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »
It does vary.  Unfortunately even in cities like Miami that are highlighted for their enforcement, it's meager in terms of number and fines.  As of about a month ago, Miami had issued 288 citations.  The citations were for $100 or less.  Even with such a low fine, they were ignored.  Only 4 fines had been paid.  Similarly in San Diego, through the end of may, only 400 citations had been issued not just in the city itself but all over San Diego county.

In comparison, at it's height, Italy issued over 16,000 citations in one day.  One area in Germany issued over 1,000 citations a day.  Even in Melbourne they issued over 100 citations in day.  The fines are also much higher than $100.  In Italy up to $3,000, in Germany up to $10,000 and in Melbourne averaging over $1,000.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 10:04:05 AM »

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
The city is asking Newsom to let them reopen the convention center. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SAN DIEGO —  A plan to purchase two hotels to house up to 400 homeless people now living in a temporary shelter at the Convention Center was unanimously approved Friday by San Diego housing commissioners, who also approved funding for support services at the sites for the new tenants.

Because about 800 people at the Convention Center still will need shelter after the hotels open, commissioners also approved a plan to reinstate and add more beds to a homeless shelter at Golden Hall at the San Diego Concourse and to reopen, with a reduced number of beds, other shelters that were closed because of the pandemic.

The plan to purchase Marriott Residence Inns in Mission Valley and Kearny Mesa is expected to advance to the San Diego Housing Authority for final approval next month, and the housing will be available when the Convention Center shelter closes by the end of the year.

sdconventionctr U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams visited our Convention Center this week to tour Operation Shelter to Home with Mayor @kevinfaulconer.

Dr. Adams said: “My time in San Diego has been incredibly productive and given me unique insight to bring back to Washington. I especially appreciated the opportunity to learn about these local efforts to protect both the most vulnerable among us, the minority populations who have been more susceptible to the virus, and the cross-sector partnerships supporting the health of San Diego’s citizens.”

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Closing the shelter after eight months in operation does not mean the Convention Center will be returning to its intended use anytime soon, however. After speaking at a Tuesday press conference outside the venue, Convention Center President and CEO Rip Rippetoe said no events are booked during the first quarter of 2021, but others are scheduled, for now, in April and May.

“Everything from May on is a strong possibility,” he said, acknowledging some doubts about April.

While 18 events in early 2021 already have been cancelled, four are still on the books for March, with the first and largest the IPC Apex Expo for electronics manufacturers, which could draw 8,000 people March 9-11. Seven events still are scheduled for April, including a private event and seminar that could attract 14,000 people April 8-9. For now, Comic-Con International still is scheduled for July 22-25.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2020, 12:25:46 AM »
The UK just approved the BioNTech(Pfizer) vaccine tonight. They will start jabbing people next week. We should follow in a couple of weeks. This changes the equation. Vaccines are here. They are much more effective than expected. So now the question is will there be enough in time. Everyone involved in comic-con will have to be vaccinated by the last week of June. The attendees, the employees at the convention center, the hotel staff, the bus drivers, all the workers in the gas lamp, the list goes on and on.

There are a lot of logistics that still need to be worked out. Not the least of which is a system to prove that someone has been vaccinated. Mask wearing will still be a factor. So it won't be a back to normal comic-con. But for the first time since this started, I think there actually might be a comic-con in 2021. The final key element that has to fall in place for the vaccines is whether they will prevent infection and not just serious illness. Having 10's of thousands of asymptomatic spreaders running around the city would not be good.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:31:01 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2020, 02:47:48 AM »
I still thing there's a good shot at having sdcc
assuming
we can get a lot of people vaccinated. That's a big 'if' but I choose to believe it can be done and am not giving into the pessimism.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2020, 03:21:32 AM »
Officials have been saying that the vaccine will be generally available in April.  I’m skeptical of any events in the first half of 2021 taking place (i.e. Wondercon) but SDCC is scheduled far enough out that I’m also hopeful that it will take place.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:01 AM »
I'm feeling more comfortable that everyone who wants a vaccine will have availability to get one by June. So we'll have to keep an eye on how many people refuse to get vaccinated. Although, I would hate to think that those people would ruin things for the rest of us. You could imagine CCI requiring proof of a vaccine to attend, but that won't keep unvaccinated people from being in downtown San Diego. You could argue that refusing to get a vaccine only places yourself in danger, but that's not 100% true. The vaccines are showing 90-95% efficacy, which means there's still a 5%-10% chance you could get it from an asymptomatic carrier.

The other issue is around at what point states will announce that conventions can be held. It seems highly unlikely we'll see large conventions before June/July. But are states going to be comfortable saying in January that summer events are ok? I doubt it. It's more likely to be April or May before any such announcements are made (at the earliest). Can CCI go ahead and finalize plans under the assumption the convention will be held? Maybe. I'm just not sure of the logistics involved.

The other thing to watch would be when they approve having large stadium crowds. I'm sure Major League Baseball will be working with communities to fill their stadiums as soon as possible. If cities allow that, then it's also more likely to allow conventions.

The bottom line is that I think its possible, maybe very possible to have SDCC in July, but a lot of things have to go right over the next several months.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2020, 06:26:08 AM »
With the vaccine rollout happening here in the UK next week, discussions have begun about getting fans back in sports stadiums. There is now press articles suggesting that full stadiums could happen by the end of the Spring. Once the older generation (over 60s) and the vulnerable have been vaccinated.
While many will say it is dangerous to put a time limit on it and also dangerous to have full stadiums etc, what is the point behind it is that many who frequent these places are of the ages where the virus mortality would not affect them.

All eyes on the UK for the next several weeks as to how we handle it and what happens after many have been vaccinated.

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
With the vaccine rollout happening here in the UK next week, discussions have begun about getting fans back in sports stadiums. There is now press articles suggesting that full stadiums could happen by the end of the Spring. Once the older generation (over 60s) and the vulnerable have been vaccinated.
While many will say it is dangerous to put a time limit on it and also dangerous to have full stadiums etc, what is the point behind it is that many who frequent these places are of the ages where the virus mortality would not affect them.

All eyes on the UK for the next several weeks as to how we handle it and what happens after many have been vaccinated.
I posted here about optimism in the US as well: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dr. Fauci, the leading US expert, said this in a TV interview in the last 24 hours:
"We've got to make sure that people get vaccinated. So if 75-85 percent of the people in the country get vaccinated as the vaccine becomes available, and the general public, not speaking of the people of the highest priority who have underlying conditions - the young men and women," he explained.
"If they get vaccinated through April, May and June, and really do a full-court press to get everybody vaccinated, you can get back to normal or at least approaching close to normal, as you get into the late summer and early fall."

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »
Interesting piece in The NY Times today: a guesstimate of where you'd be in line for the vaccine.
Spoiler: much deeper than any Comic-Con line I’ve ever waited in 😬

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »
Officials have been saying that the vaccine will be generally available in April.  I’m skeptical of any events in the first half of 2021 taking place (i.e. Wondercon) but SDCC is scheduled far enough out that I’m also hopeful that it will take place.

I’m hopeful we can safely have a con by the second half of next year if at least a good portion of the country gets vaccinated but people are coming from all over the world? If there’s a con, it will look a lot different I imagine. Maybe they’ll use the online portal more to avoid camping out and long lines?

I don’t think we will get a Wondercon in the spring. Too soon.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:10 PM »
We are on a slower timeline here in Canada, most people may have to wait until summer or later to get the vaccine, unless things go faster than expected.

I don't think I would be able to fit in Comic Con regardless this year, but it is heartening to think that whatever happens this year, hopefully Comic Con may be back and close to normal in 2022.

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2020, 08:42:33 AM »
I’m hopeful we can safely have a con by the second half of next year if at least a good portion of the country gets vaccinated but people are coming from all over the world? If there’s a con, it will look a lot different I imagine. Maybe they’ll use the online portal more to avoid camping out and long lines?

I don’t think we will get a Wondercon in the spring. Too soon.
Yeah the logistics of lining up, socially distant panels, etc. would be quite the challenge.  There are ways to handle that, of course, but if there's a 2021 SDCCI it will be radically different for us as far as crowds, lines, etc.