Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 63987 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
perhaps not quite the right place for this....

I got a chance to see the restored imax version of 2001: A Space Odyssey last night

2 hr & 45 min's
there was an intermission

loved the added scenes, could have done without the addition of more psychedelic visuals when Bowman encounters the monolith however. I believe the restored version added 20 min's back into the film.
I don't think i'd go see it again & it was hard watching it - long and not edge of the seat- but i am very very glad i got to see it in IMAX and in a longer format- I beleive there was more scenes on the moon for example.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
perhaps not quite the right place for this....

I got a chance to see the restored imax version of 2001: A Space Odyssey last night

2 hr & 45 min's
there was an intermission

loved the added scenes, could have done without the addition of more psychedelic visuals when Bowman encounters the monolith however. I believe the restored version added 20 min's back into the film.
I don't think i'd go see it again & it was hard watching it - long and not edge of the seat- but i am very very glad i got to see it in IMAX and in a longer format- I beleive there was more scenes on the moon for example.

That's pretty much what we thought, too.  Glad we saw it on the big screen but didn't know we should take psychedelic drugs beforehand, lol.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:37:36 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
That's pretty much what we thought, too.  Glad we saw it on the big screen but didn't know we should take psychedelic drugs beforehand, lol.
Yeah, someone was doing edibles close to me .....  /sigh/
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:03 PM »
Finally got to see Crazy Rich Asians this week and LOVED it. My husband really liked it too and he's definitely not as into rom-coms as I am.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
Finally got to see Crazy Rich Asians this week and LOVED it. My husband really liked it too and he's definitely not as into rom-coms as I am.
Same! DH really loved it. He kept going on about Constance Wu (he does like her on Fresh Off the Boat).
Ang

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »

Loved it too.  My favorite movie since Ready Player One.  It was a pretty formulaic rom-com but it had enough unique take on things to make it fresh.  Very well executed.

I saw Happytime Murders today and have the exact opposite thoughts.  I'll sum it up with WTH?  The worst movie I've seen in years.  What were they thinking?  I can't believed anyone involved in it read the script and thought that it was going to be good.  I just left the theater thinking why?

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
Watch Crazy Rich Asians last week and that was good, the story was fun, hearing that a sequel is in the works makes my wife happy. Also I wasn’t shedding a tear or two during then movie it was the wife.  Mile 22 is our movie for tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 03:28:12 AM »
... Mile 22 is our movie for tomorrow.

I’m curious about your reactions
There isn’t a lot of buzz about it but I found it absorbing

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 08:14:32 AM »
Re: Mile 22 -- I would like to see Lauren Cohan on the big screen but I refuse to see anything that has Mark Wahlberg in it.  His racial violence and request for a pardon, and the whole paycheck thing with the movie reshoots last fall are too much for me.  Just my opinion.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »
Rich Crazy Asians: Loved it! I cried, of course. My husband thought it was ok, but it's totally not his usual type of movie. BUT he was laughing throughout the entire movie.
The Meg: It was good! My husband really wanted to see it, but it's totally not my typical type of movie. It was entertaining.
Eighth Grade: Loved it!
Never Goin' Back: didn't plan to see it,  but glad we did...it was really funny. Really enjoyed it.

This weekend I wanted to see Searching, but it's not playing anywhere in Vegas.  :(  It looks like we may see Happytime Murders, but after reading some reviews and what [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] said, I'm starting to dread it. I might lose that battle though with my family. Still haven't seen BlacKkKlansman, maybe I can sway them....hmmm.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
It looks like we may see Happytime Murders, but after reading some reviews and what [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] said, I'm starting to dread it. I might lose that battle though with my family. Still haven't seen BlacKkKlansman, maybe I can sway them....hmmm.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I would seriously consider that before taking them to Happytime.  It's a puppet movie but got rated R.  I'm not a prude by a long shot but I was cringing through a lot of Happytime.  Sure, there were some funny bits.  But overall I still don't see what the point of it was.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »
I don't know how old your kids are, but I would seriously consider that before taking them to Happytime.  It's a puppet movie but got rated R.  I'm not a prude by a long shot but I was cringing through a lot of Happytime.  Sure, there were some funny bits.  But overall I still don't see what the point of it was.

My kids are 17-28  ;D
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »
Re: Mile 22 -- I would like to see Lauren Cohan on the big screen but I refuse to see anything that has Mark Wahlberg in it.  His racial violence and request for a pardon, and the whole paycheck thing with the movie reshoots last fall are too much for me.  Just my opinion.

While I most definitely do not condone racism or violence, far from it.  I also believe in redemption.  Those incidents happened a long time ago when he was young.  He seems to have tried to live a good life in the last 20 years or so.  If we were all defined for life by what we did as teenagers, where would that leave us?

This leads into the broader issue of how culturally the US runs it's corrections system compared to much of the rest of the developed world.  We treat it as punishment and not as a chance for education on how to fit into society.  Our outcomes are horrible compared to the rest of the developed world.  We had finally started down the road to prison reform only to have that process aborted in the last 2 years.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
While I most definitely do not condone racism or violence, far from it.  I also believe in redemption.  Those incidents happened a long time ago when he was young.  He seems to have tried to live a good life in the last 20 years or so.  If we were all defined for life by what we did as teenagers, where would that leave us?

This leads into the broader issue of how culturally the US runs it's corrections system compared to much of the rest of the developed world.  We treat it as punishment and not as a chance for education on how to fit into society.  Our outcomes are horrible compared to the rest of the developed world.  We had finally started down the road to prison reform only to have that process aborted in the last 2 years.

I believe in redemption, too, I just don't know that Marky Mark has earned it.  I just don't think his request for a pardon (so that he could get a license to help with his restaurant business) when he had never sought out the man he blinded in one eye to apologize was pretty shortsighted.  He's definitely not as bad as Mel Gibson, who he is worked with on Daddy's Home 2 and is working with on additional movie projects.  His embrace of Gibson sinks him in my eyes.  Again, my opinion.  Regarding our corrections system I agree completely.  Michael Moore's Where to Invade Next features Norway's prison system and is very eye opening.

This weekend I wanted to see Searching, but it's not playing anywhere in Vegas.  :(  It looks like we may see Happytime Murders, but after reading some reviews and what [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] said, I'm starting to dread it. I might lose that battle though with my family. Still haven't seen BlacKkKlansman, maybe I can sway them....hmmm.

I hope you made it to see BlackkKlansman!  I wanted to see Searching this weekend, too, but it doesn't open until 8/31 in Phoenix.  Something to look forward to!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »
Regarding our corrections system I agree completely.  Michael Moore's Where to Invade Next features Norway's prison system and is very eye opening.

Another film that's enlightening is CNN's documentary on American prisons.

I didn't truly get the Black Lives Matter movement.  Now I do.

It's just not how prisoners are treated in jail but how they get there.  A lot of people in prison aren't there for public safety.  As in most things in the US, it comes down to money.  So if you have money, you can avoid prison.  If you are poor, you can't.  Many people in jail are there because they couldn't pay a $100 traffic ticket or they have an uncollected debt or they got ticketed for not mowing their lawn.  Debtors prison is alive and well in the US as is, I'll use the word, slavery.  One thing that was shocking is that the government bills people for their time in jail.  If they can't pay, then that's another crime they are convicted of and they get sent back to prison for some more time.  Which in turn adds to their prison debt which they are even less likely to be able to pay.  Which sends them back to jail again.  This can go on for years.

US prisons have no motivation to get people out of jail.  Quite the opposite.  US prisons make a lot of money off their prisoners.  They sell prison labor for at least minimum wage and pay the prisoners either pennies per hour or nothing at all.  Prisons need a labor force to sell.  I don't think that incarcerating people and forcing them to work against their will should be a profit making venture.  Not everything should be about money.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:13:48 AM by chocolateshake »