Author Topic: NYCC Forum 2013 Meet-Ups  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
NYCC Forum 2013 Meet-Ups
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Meet-ups are usually (but not always) best if scheduled by a local or someone who is very familiar with the area.

For meet-ups, pick a place that is:
- Centrally located to where most people will be staying and the convention as not everyone is going to have a car.
- Kid friendly in case people have little ones.
- Has an open seating policy as you will get a lot of “maybes” and reservations are a pain.
- Allows for a wide time window so people can show up at various times to accommodate their schedules.  And reservations are a pain
- Has a decent price range as everyone is on a different food budget.

Nearby hotel restaurants usually work well for these. 

For the organizer(s):
- Everyone is going to want specific type of food.  Pick a place with a wide food selection and call it done.  It’s more about meeting each other than the type of food.
- Everyone is going to want to meet at a specific time.  Pick the most central time you can and roll with it.  If you pick a time before or early in the show, you have con buddies to hang out with for the rest.  If you do one after the show, you can do a swag swap.
- Be comfortable either being alone while you wait for people to show up or have one person that is 100% going to be there to wait with you.
- Usually these things center around food because time is tight during a show and everyone has to eat, but they do not have to so hotel lobbies can work as well.  Pick bigger hotels for this so that your group doesn’t get kicked out for loitering/general mayhem.
- There’s no rule against multiple meet ups or multiple organizers.
- There is always one axe murderer in the group, be vigilant.  :)

These are not rules, just things I have found helpful when organizing meet-ups.

I’ll let someone else take this away at this point, as I am (1.) Too lazy to set one up. :)  and (2.)  Won’t be at the show and it’s probably best if an attendee takes the reigns.

Any volunteers?

Offline @briansteez

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 123
Re: NYCC Forum 2013 Meet-Ups
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »
If there are a lot of forums members in the NY area we are actually hosting two NYCC themed meet ups. It is a two part series with Heroes being the theme for the first one and Villains being the theme for the second one. They will feature a drink and draw, ticket giveaways, costume contests, etc. The majority of the NYCC team will be in attendance to answer questions, hang with fans, etc. Here is the info:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:36:45 AM »

Offline zammap

• Exhibit Hall
    • www.zammap.com
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:15 AM »
If there are a lot of forums members in the NY area we are actually hosting two NYCC themed meet ups. It is a two part series with Heroes being the theme for the first one and Villains being the theme for the second one. They will feature a drink and draw, ticket giveaways, costume contests, etc. The majority of the NYCC team will be in attendance to answer questions, hang with fans, etc. Here is the info:

lol I already won a ticket at a villain contest
XD

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
can we show up or do we have to rsvp and get on a list. I sent an email yesterday to rsvp
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline @briansteez

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 123
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
You have to RSVP. That way we can keep it comfortable for everyone and not have a gigantic crowd. Thanks!

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
so will we get a confirm then, sorry if your not the one directly in charge. I sent an email yesterday and joined the group but no response yet

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
I'm going to bump this.

Let me ask would anyone be interested in doing a possible meetup Sunday Evening. If there is enough interest I can try to find a place that has cable and see if we can have them turn to the Walking Dead, and we can have a FoCCI NYCC TWD party. The only problem is NYCC ends at 5pm and TWD is at 9pm. Thoughts