Author Topic: WonderCon Anaheim 2021: March 26-28, Anaheim Convention Center  (Read 5158 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And get ready for 2021 with WonderCon Anaheim, March 26-28 at the Anaheim Convention Center and Comic-Con International, July 22-25 (with Preview Night on July 21) at the San Diego Convention Center. Both events now have exhibitor applications available for next year. Click on the Comic-Con and WonderCon blocks at the top of this page for more information.

Posted on Jul 28, 2020

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
Re: WonderCon Anaheim 2021: March 26-28, Anaheim Convention Center
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »

Anaheim Convention Center COVID-19 Recovery Plan

The Anaheim Convention Center stands ready to safely and responsibly reopen under guidance from the State of California.

As we follow California’s four-stage reopening plan, the following is a summary of our plans and those of our partners as we work to reopen the Anaheim Convention Center. We will ensure unparalleled service and a world-class experience while taking steps to safeguard public health for event organizers, attendees, partners and employees.

This information is subject to update and will evolve with guidance and requirements from the California Department of Public Health, the Orange County Health Care Agency and any additional guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
What do you all think the odds are for an on-site Wondercon 2021 with the currently scheduled dates?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
What do you all think the odds are for an on-site Wondercon 2021 with the currently scheduled dates?

I'd like to say that it's happening, but given that Governor Newsom still won't allow Disneyland to open... I think he'll ruin it for us. :(

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »

Almost none. I think there's decent chance we might get one in the fall, though.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »
i'm a little hopeful we'll have enough vaccine to hold a modified sdcc
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
i'm a little hopeful we'll have enough vaccine to hold a modified sdcc
I agree.  Given how 'conservative' Newsome is handling reopening guidelines, I think it's unlikely WonderCon will happen in late March.  I do think there's a decent chance, maybe 50/50 or slightly better, Comic-Con will be able to happen.
Anaheim/Orange County is a bit...interesting...of a community when its come to the pandemic, so I have no doubts they'll try their damnedest to push WonderCon through, but I think in the end it's more likely Newsome won't let large indoor gatherings like that open by then, short of a MAJOR change (which, OC has been doing poorly for most of the pandemic as a community that doesn't seem that interested in mask ordinances and whatnot).  OC would have to be in the 'yellow' tier.  To reach the tier, the county must have less than one daily new case per 100,000 population and a seven-day average of less than 2% positive coronavirus tests; in that event Disneyland could open at only 25% capacity max.

Obviously, those guidelines could change in 3 months (they've changed in the previous 3 months IIRC), and who knows what things will look like 1) with a new POTUS Administration 2) with a vaccine starting to get into circulation.

But my gut tells me WonderCon likely won't happen in March, though SDCCI has a decent shot of happening in July (or maybe August: maybe CCI pushes CCI back a few weeks if it looks like more vaccines will be in circulation in early August? I dunno - I'm just spitballing)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
There being vaccines is only half the solution.  Vaccines don't save lives, vaccinations do.  How many people will take the vaccine?  There are numerous challenges.  Traditionally, with voluntary vaccines like the flu vaccine, only half the population will elect to get it.  Covid also has the headwind that it's been politicized.  A significant portion of the population don't wear masks since they think it's a hoax.  Why would they get a jab in the arm for a hoax?  There's also the traditional anti-vaxxers let alone the no GMO people.  If someone isn't willing to eat GMO food, are they willing to get a GMO injection?

We need a highly effective vaccine and high compliance rate to control covid.  Measles is a good analogy.  I think that covid is second only to the measles in terms of how contagious it is.  We have vaccines that match the measles vaccine, 95% effective.  Now we need a measles like vaccination rate, 90%.  When it falls below that, there are measles outbreaks.  To get that 90% rate, measles vaccination is mandatory.  It's required.  Will we get that with covid?

Another unknown is whether the vaccines prevent infection and thus reduces spread.  That's an unknown.  The results deliberately only claim to prevent serious illness, not prevent infection.  The jury is still out on that.  If they don't and turn everyone into asymptomatic spreaders then that's another consideration.

The good news is the Oxford vaccine.  That has a variety of advantages over the others.  It's easy to make, it's easy to transport, it's easy to store and it's cheap.  It's 10% the cost of the other vaccines.  It's something that can be in every pharmacy's fridge like flu vaccines.  Paying for and administering the other 2 would be prohibitive in much of the world.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:54:08 PM »
Not on calendar: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Today's rate of new #COVIDー19 cases remains very high but a stabilization trend and some hospitalization improvements continue.

We just don't know if this is the plateau or the calm before the post-holiday storm.

Keep fighting COVID in all you do.

#Anaheim #coronavirus #OC

Offline daudino

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 08:43:16 AM »
I was thinking it was weird that WonderCon hadn't been cancelled/postponed as of yet given it's not that far away, but it looks like last year they waited until 1 month before the show to indefinitely postpone. If the same holds true, they still have a month a half to make the call I guess.

Can't imagine a lot of people have any sort of confidence that will actually happen in March though given where California currently stands.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »

The Anaheim Convention Center, one of the market's largest demand engines, has been closed since March and repurposed as a COVID-19 testing center. Our contacts at the convention center anticipate the facility to reopen sometime in the spring of 2021. There are currently events scheduled as early as February; however, we are unsure whether these events will be canceled or postponed once again given the current situation. Three important events factoring into our forecast are WonderCon 2021, which is anticipated to take place in March; Natural Products Expo West, the convention center's second-largest annual convention, which has been rescheduled for May 2021; and NAMM, the convention center's largest annual conference, which has been canceled and is reportedly unlikely to be rescheduled for 2021. Visit Anaheim has been working to reschedule as many canceled conventions as possible; as such, a healthy convention calendar for 2022 and 2023 is expected, which should contribute to a strong recovery in those years.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »
So.... it's less than 2 months away, but no badges have been sold. And there are no announcements. It feels like WonderCon is cancelled, but why wouldn't CCI just announce that? There must be other issues at play.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »
So.... it's less than 2 months away, but no badges have been sold. And there are no announcements. It feels like WonderCon is cancelled, but why wouldn't CCI just announce that? There must be other issues at play.
I suspect cci is waiting for guidance from the state. LOL and yes, the state seems to be playing catch up ....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »
Just announced
WonderCon@Home celebration on Friday and Saturday, March 26 and 27, 2021.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 01:49:16 PM »
Well, it's nice to know some things, right? This doesn't bode well for SDCC. 
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"