Author Topic: Award Shows... Golden Globes/Critics Awards  (Read 2235 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Award Shows... Golden Globes/Critics Awards
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
I am thrilled SpiderVerse won-
I'll add to this post as events strike me tonight ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:42:36 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Award Shows... Golden Globes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
Me too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Award Shows... Golden Globes/Critics Awards
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:42:45 AM »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
So happy for Sandra Oh! And also her dad! Killing Eve is a masterpiece

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
i gotta see Green Book...
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:24:37 PM by alyssa »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:26:13 AM »
SO happy for Rami and Bohemian Rhapsody!!  But I'm really surprised ASIB didn't do better.  The Oscars will be interesting!

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:18 AM »
I think everyone was surprised that ASIB did not do better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SO happy for Rami and Bohemian Rhapsody!!  But I'm really surprised ASIB didn't do better.  The Oscars will be interesting!

this aritcle had an interesting take on the value of getting a globe for movies vs tv shows. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:37:59 AM »
this aritcle had an interesting take on the value of getting a globe for movies vs tv shows. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Interesting.  I read an article about how Ben Affleck was able to turn his Best Director Oscar snub for Argo into a Best Picture win, as voters felt so bad for him.  Maybe Bradley Cooper can do something similar this year for the Picture and Director Oscars.  I seriously doubt Gaga can win against Close and Colman.

Also, SO stoked that The Americans won! 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
YEA:
* SPIDER-VERSE win!!  Hope the Globe isn't the last golden statute in its future!!
* some great speeches/moments: Oh's mom & dad elated about her win; Glenn Close; Ramsey's "anyone can be a hero" messaging (even though that's THE point of SPIDER-VERSE, hearing it again = needed); Regina King; Coleman was hilarious; Amy Poehler & Maya Rudolph presenting was GOLD
* Carol Burnett: swoooon!!  She looks great for her age & is truly a Hollywood gem/legend/GOAT
* Jeff Bridges: meandering, rambling, but smiling-inducing stories, demonstrating that Coehn Bros casting Bridges as The Dude might be THE most perfect casting
* Amy Poehler & Maya Rudolph were great.  I mentioned them above but they were so great it bears repeating
* Christian Bale was clearly a bit drunk.  And thanks Satan.  Maybe this is more WTF, but I appreciated how bizarre that felt.  I won't get into politics, but I'll just point out that I don't ever recall Satan getting thanked by a movie award-winner before.

WTF:
* BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and GREEN BOOK winning best films.  Did they have incredibly performances?  Absolutely, and both lead actors who won for these films were off-the-hook good.  But the movies themselves are not good: BOOK had serious whitewashing, and RHAPSODY had serious straightwashing.  It's like neither movie really dealt well with its subject matter and its confounding to me that in a year so strong with great films HFPA chose to two worst movies nominated.  Of course, HFPA is almost synonymous (OK...not almost, they ARE) with their very shady practices of awarding/nominating films so it's not big shock they awarded those films: films that are faux-intellectual social message films.  I'm def. in the minority of the mainstream when it comes to RHAPSODY, so when the replies tell me I'm wrong here I understand  8)
* Flu-shot moment.  I get where the humor was intended, and as I concept I'm always a fan of the absurd brand of comedy.  I just felt this one fell way flat, though props for producers for not dwelling very long on the bit and moving along quickly.
* Broadcast Direction was HORRIBLE.  There were a ton of missed 'reaction' shots (see Emma Stone mouthing 'sorry'), as well as what felt like mistake reaction shots.  Clumsy cutaways and camera changes abounded.  This director should not do an awards show anytime soon, or maybe with a better crew. Usually the broadcast is smooth, but the shots coming in/out of commercials were unprofessional and just flat-out bad.

I won't get into my personal preferences on who won/lost (except Kaminsky Method beating The Good Place for Best Comedy Series surely means we're all living in the Bad Place), but the above are a few general observations

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
I agree with your analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] I am pretty sure BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning was more a tribute to Queen then it was about the actual movie.  I was voting for Black Panther, I knew it wasn't going to happen but I wanted it to.

I loved Christian Bale thanking Satan, I thought it really livened his whole speech and was very accurate.   His comment about claiming the market in playing uncharismatic a$$holes was pretty great also.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
YEA:
* SPIDER-VERSE win!!  Hope the Globe isn't the last golden statute in its future!!
* some great speeches/moments: Oh's mom & dad elated about her win; Glenn Close; Ramsey's "anyone can be a hero" messaging (even though that's THE point of SPIDER-VERSE, hearing it again = needed); Regina King; Coleman was hilarious; Amy Poehler & Maya Rudolph presenting was GOLD
* Carol Burnett: swoooon!!  She looks great for her age & is truly a Hollywood gem/legend/GOAT
* Jeff Bridges: meandering, rambling, but smiling-inducing stories, demonstrating that Coehn Bros casting Bridges as The Dude might be THE most perfect casting
* Amy Poehler & Maya Rudolph were great.  I mentioned them above but they were so great it bears repeating
* Christian Bale was clearly a bit drunk.  And thanks Satan.  Maybe this is more WTF, but I appreciated how bizarre that felt.  I won't get into politics, but I'll just point out that I don't ever recall Satan getting thanked by a movie award-winner before.

WTF:
* BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and GREEN BOOK winning best films.  Did they have incredibly performances?  Absolutely, and both lead actors who won for these films were off-the-hook good.  But the movies themselves are not good: BOOK had serious whitewashing, and RHAPSODY had serious straightwashing.  It's like neither movie really dealt well with its subject matter and its confounding to me that in a year so strong with great films HFPA chose to two worst movies nominated.  Of course, HFPA is almost synonymous (OK...not almost, they ARE) with their very shady practices of awarding/nominating films so it's not big shock they awarded those films: films that are faux-intellectual social message films.  I'm def. in the minority of the mainstream when it comes to RHAPSODY, so when the replies tell me I'm wrong here I understand  8)
* Flu-shot moment.  I get where the humor was intended, and as I concept I'm always a fan of the absurd brand of comedy.  I just felt this one fell way flat, though props for producers for not dwelling very long on the bit and moving along quickly.
* Broadcast Direction was HORRIBLE.  There were a ton of missed 'reaction' shots (see Emma Stone mouthing 'sorry'), as well as what felt like mistake reaction shots.  Clumsy cutaways and camera changes abounded.  This director should not do an awards show anytime soon, or maybe with a better crew. Usually the broadcast is smooth, but the shots coming in/out of commercials were unprofessional and just flat-out bad.

I won't get into my personal preferences on who won/lost (except Kaminsky Method beating The Good Place for Best Comedy Series surely means we're all living in the Bad Place), but the above are a few general observations

Agreed.  I always remember the Golden Globe nominations for The Tourist, to get Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie to attend their party.  The movie was awful.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 05:31:45 AM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] I am pretty sure BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning was more a tribute to Queen then it was about the actual movie.  I was voting for Black Panther, I knew it wasn't going to happen but I wanted it to.

I loved Christian Bale thanking Satan, I thought it really livened his whole speech and was very accurate.   His comment about claiming the market in playing uncharismatic a$$holes was pretty great also.
But that in itself is a problem: winning for the band rather than the film. It should only be about what is on screen.

The Golden Globals became irrelevant when they put The Tourist as one of the best films of the year. This year's winners continue that irrelevance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »

[member=380]perc2100[/member] I am pretty sure BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning was more a tribute to Queen then it was about the actual movie. ....
The Golden Globals became irrelevant when they put The Tourist as one of the best films of the year. This year's winners continue that irrelevance.

Curious to hear what the reaction will be on Monday to the Critics Awards happening this sunday the 13th... ;)