Author Topic: Wondercon should stay in LA  (Read 11812 times)

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
Wondercon should stay in LA
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
Wondercon should stay in LA. Not only is it 3x easier for me to go to Wondercon in LA, it is still in southern California and closer to northern California so many Comic Con fans can go there . Other conventions like Anime Expo, Comikaze and E3 have stayed in LA. I don't see why WonderCon shouldn't. I suppose people who want WC in San Francisco might say Southern California already has a lot of conventions, but since SDCC gets more attendees in SoCal, it would be a good idea if they stayed here for a while.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Wondercon should stay in LA
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
Speaking as someone from Northern CA, I preferred the Anaheim location because of the proximity to Disneyland. As for being 'closer', that's not really true. if you're flying, you're flying and the difference is minimal. If you're driving, you have to deal with downtown LA traffic and outrageous parking prices. So I'm not sure the 'closer to Northern CA' argument holds water.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:15:57 AM »

Offline bettiebloodshed

• Gaming Lounge
    • My cosplay page!
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wondercon should stay in LA. Not only is it 3x easier for me to go to Wondercon in LA, it is still in southern California and closer to northern California so many Comic Con fans can go there . Other conventions like Anime Expo, Comikaze and E3 have stayed in LA. I don't see why WonderCon shouldn't. I suppose people who want WC in San Francisco might say Southern California already has a lot of conventions, but since SDCC gets more attendees in SoCal, it would be a good idea if they stayed here for a while.

Comikaze was ALWAYS in LA, as were AX and E3, as far as I remember. This is a different situation. Wondercon in Anaheim is easier to get to than LA. The difference in distance is about 30-45 minutes for people in North Cal so the distance is very minor. As for flying, its about the same. The hotel and parking situation in Anaheim is better than in the LACC area, as is family friendly walking area. While it might be easier for you, personally, it isn't easier for others. And I don't feel very comfortable walking around in the immediate distance around LACC, while I feel pretty safe walking around ACC at night. The "family friendly" atmosphere due to Disneyland being so close is a huge plus to Anaheim, while LACC is a spits throw from Skid Row and some really shady areas of Los Angeles.
Owner of When Nerds Attack .com

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
I get what you are saying. For example, for me, it means I don't have to go through the 5 between Dodgers Stadium and Anaheim. Due to the construction, certain times of the day, the traffic through this area is terrible. With traffic, it adds another hour+ to the trip. I hate it. But the folks from San Diego will now deal with this, and I will miss the Disneyland stuff. You have more things to do there. And as TJ pointed out, LA traffic is still there, thus I will still hit it coming from the 5.

On the other hand, I like the choices of restaurants at LA Live, rather than, in Anaheim. The Microsoft Theater will be better when comparing it to the arena. You also may have a better chance to see a sporting event that is easier/walkable to get to. But you have way more hotels to pick from in Anaheim. Therefore, once the con is over, we will know more if it should stay or not--our dislikes and likes. Let's see how it plays out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:24:19 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
  • I'm pretty good with a bo-staff.
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
I haven't been to the LA Convention center since 2013 and 2007 before that so I can't comment on LA Live. I can comment on how the area was, well, to put it mildly, not that pretty. I can relay the info from others I've asked regarding which area is better. They pretty much ranked the 3 convention areas as follows: 1. The Gaslamp Quarter. 2. Downtown Disney 3. LA Live. If you're from the area or from San Fernando Valley you're obviously going to prefer your hometown over another (especially if this preference is sports team influenced). It's no secret that LA greatly dislikes Anaheim and vice-versa (this is why San Diego is so great) but the real test will come once the convention is in full swing.

Here's my pros and "cons" (pun intended) for ANA vs LA.
The hotels are cheaper and much closer in Anaheim
Parking is WAY cheaper in Anaheim
The convention center is bigger -- I've already done the research
The surrounding area is clean and seems much safer.
Downtown Disney is not too close to the convention.
The 91 sucks just about all the time.
LA has Universal and WB studios nearby
I can ride the Metrolink and subway all the way to the Convention Center door.
Being closer to Hollywood may entice more celebrities to attend WonderCon (this is just a theory though).

I'll pass final judgement after the con. :)

Twitter/Facebook: malarrya
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm from the East Coast.

The only Wondercon I've been to was in San Francisco and I really enjoyed it.  San Francisco is an easy city to navigate without a car.  I took a long walk from The W Hotel(near the con) to Fisherman's Wharf and took the trolley back right before the con started.

I have been to LA many times and I don't like the reliance on the automobile and the lack of real pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods.  LA Cons don't appeal to me at all.  It's the location near the Gaslamp that made me fall in love with SDCC years ago.

Give me a walking town over a driving town anytime.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
I just really loved the ease of Anaheim. Parking was cheap and simple, the area clean and welcoming, very easy to get to from San Diego (you get no traffic of any kind at all), the two hotels right there with all kinds of food and fun options, The Happiest Place on Earth right across the street. Sure LA is going to be more convenient to those who live in LA, but I'm not sure it's more convenient to anyone else.....perhaps as some have mentioned those from the north driving in don't have to drive all the way through LA, but you still got to drive in LA now from any direction, which sucks bigtime.

I'm really gonna miss WC and seeing all my forum friends this year b/c DTLA is just too inconvenient for my needs (I need to be able to easily drive up and back down in a day). So, I really hope it moves back to Anaheim next year. That's just me though and my selfish desires ahaha
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:13:47 PM »
One huge pro of LA for me is the ease of getting to via public transportation (or any transit method that’s not driving). It’s the other side of the coin of Anaheim being easier to get to in a car.

I’m taking Boltbus, and it goes directly from San Jose to Downtown LA Union Station (about 1 mile from the convention center -- a walk if you have time, if not, it’s an easy Metro ride.) Also, the LACC is served very well by the Metro which Anaheim doesn’t have. You could even park at a metro station for free (they’re going to start charging $2-$3 per day at some stations in May) and take the Metro in. LAX is usually cheaper and easier to fly into than SNA, and you can take the Flyaway bus directly to Union Station too for $9.

Hotels are more expensive in LA, but they’re also nicer and newer.

While I’ve never had a problem in DTLA I do concur that you have to be careful if you wander in certain directions. But I do find it a lot more interesting. There are stores, bars, boutiques, coffee shops, clubs, museums, breweries all within either walking distance or a very short Metro ride...and the Metro will take you to almost any type of other thing you can’t get nearby. In Anaheim, if you don’t want to pay 3x the amount of WonderCon for a day pass of 2x the amount of WonderCon for night pass to Disneyland, you can get dinner then hang out at a hotel bar. I do like many of the breweries in OC (Noble, Bootlegger’s, Bruery, Bottle Logic are all good), but OC transit doesn’t make it easy to get there and it’s not a good idea to drive to them. Uber has made things significantly easier to get to though.

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
I'm from the East Coast.

The only Wondercon I've been to was in San Francisco and I really enjoyed it.  San Francisco is an easy city to navigate without a car.  I took a long walk from The W Hotel(near the con) to Fisherman's Wharf and took the trolley back right before the con started.

I have been to LA many times and I don't like the reliance on the automobile and the lack of real pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods.  LA Cons don't appeal to me at all.  It's the location near the Gaslamp that made me fall in love with SDCC years ago.

Give me a walking town over a driving town anytime.

Have you been to Downtown LA though (And more specifically, in the last 5-10 years?) It’s very walkable there. If anything’s a driving town, it’s Anaheim.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:19:44 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Comikaze was ALWAYS in LA, as were AX and E3, as far as I remember. This is a different situation.

Comikaze and E3 sure, but AX has been held in Anaheim, Long Beach, and going even further back, San Jose and Oakland :o before moving to LACC in 2008 and being held there ever since: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
This argument doesn't really work for me. Just because it's convenient for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else. There are plenty of cons in SoCal, and yes they draw crowds... but so do cons in other big cities! Con goers who actually have to travel sometimes want variation in the locations they visit, and that means new cities and places to try. Now San Francisco is a GREAT city, and if I can get the best of both worlds by having one con I love in SoCal and another one in NorCal, knowing I'd travel for it either way, hell yeah I'd do it! Better than having everything be in the same location all the time imo
I don't support traveling cons necessarily, I rather each con pick a place.. but given the option I think wondercon needs to go back to the bay area

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
Yeah, no matter where the con is held at, it’s always going to be easier for the locals to get to.

That being said, the main point that’s been hammered into our heads (first after WonderCon left SF, and then Anaheim) is that it’s not about the locals...at least not the ones who drive in or take the subway in and then go back home. It’s about the people who buy hotels from the official hotel blocks.

Offline TheTFReview

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »
Anaheim is much more accessible and easy to navigate than downtown LA. I hope it moves back to ANA when the big renovation is done. Or even next year when construction should be much slower than it is now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:41:30 PM by TheTFReview »

Offline StarBell84

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 07:29:16 AM »
Working as a volunteer at wondercon today. It is confirmed in the program book. Wondercon returns to Anaheim 2017. March 31st to April 2nd. (Not Easter weekend)
Free your inner nerd so your outer nerd has someone to talk to

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »
Working as a volunteer at wondercon today. It is confirmed in the program book. Wondercon returns to Anaheim 2017. March 31st to April 2nd. (Not Easter weekend)

Fantastic!