Author Topic: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture  (Read 78085 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
omg, dognuts..... & i don't have class..... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login lmk when you're getting there so i'll have someone to hang with!

It really depends on what kind of event it is.  Are we supposed to get there at 9:30 for a 2 hour tour or is it a drop by when you want type of thing?  I guess we'll find out soon.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
It really depends on what kind of event it is.  Are we supposed to get there at 9:30 for a 2 hour tour or is it a drop by when you want type of thing?  I guess we'll find out soon.
good points
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 12:07:19 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2020, 03:30:46 PM »
Yikes be there at 9:30am....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:34:52 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2020, 06:08:34 PM »
I missed it.  Email locked up on my phone so I didn't see it until now.  It's sold out.  Hopefully I get in next month.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
I missed it.  Email locked up on my phone so I didn't see it until now.  It's sold out.  Hopefully I get in next month.
I saw it but didn't sign up. To be honest 9:30am is a little early for me to commit to. Given the history of attendance at ccm events, if i decided to go i'll try for stand-by at the door.
i've got a couple of friends thinking of trying for the friday night stand by for Picard. I said i'd join them if they decide to go.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:27:37 PM by alyssa »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »
went to the ccm tonight & saw the 1st ep of Picard..

i posted pictures of the costumes & props in the Picard thread

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2020, 08:48:54 AM »
Lookin forward to this!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2020, 05:33:22 AM »
went to the ccm tonight & saw the 1st ep of Picard..

i posted pictures of the costumes & props in the Picard thread

Lucky. Did you sign up or do standby? Picard thread? Was it the same costumes and props they had at the offsite during Con?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
Lucky. Did you sign up or do standby? Picard thread? Was it the same costumes and props they had at the offsite during Con?
i went both nites, the first with tix, the second stand-by.
I didn't see if the offsite display so i can't speak to that.
the picard thread is in the ConSuite-->Movies & tv show--> ST:Picard **spoilers**

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »

Comic-Con Museum is one step closer to exhibits and programming with new curator hire

The Comic-Con Museum has hired a new curator to lead the attraction’s development, filling the role with a longtime leader of Comic-Con International: Gary Sassaman.

Sassaman has been with Comic-Con for the past two decades, directing the programming of the event, and later, heading up the event’s media. Now, he’s serving as curatorial director of the museum, which is set to open in mid-2021.

The role is a new one for the museum. Previously, the organization was led by executive director Adam Smith, who exited the job in October for a museum gig in Wichita, Kansas. The organization characterized Smith’s leaving as the end of “phase one” museum planning. Now, the museum is entering “phase two.”

Comic-Con International declined to make Sassaman available for an interview but provided details about his role through a spokesman.

“Adam’s role was to recruit talent to get the museum off the ground and to establish a master plan to make the museum a reality,” said David Glanzer, chief communications and strategy officer for Comic-Con International. “While we are currently focused on fundraising and implementing that plan, Gary will be able to focus on establishing exhibitions, programs, special events, family activities, educational experiences and so much more.”

Comic-Con was given control of the former San Diego Hall of Champions, a sports-themed exhibition hall, in March 2017 by the San Diego City Council. The 68,000-square-foot museum was to be used for San Diego’s most popular event, but also to highlight comic book art and history.

Smith organized Batman’s introduction into a Character Hall of Fame in July, just days before the official kickoff of Comic-Con 2019. The ticket-only event attracted famous comic artists and writers and was a major fundraiser for the museum.

Glanzer said the museum has no other finalized programming plans, but continued fundraising is a top priority for the team.

Sassaman, who’s spent the greater part of the last decade leading Comic-Con’s print and digital media, said storytelling is still a huge part of his role. He shared his thoughts in an email newsletter about the museum.

“I’m a storyteller, pure and simple. The Comic-Con Museum will reveal brand new worlds — or provide visits with fondly remembered old ones — on a daily basis, through exhibitions, programs, special events, fun family activities, and so much more, including a rich, ongoing educational experience for all attendees. We’ll be the focal point of a robust community of comics and pop culture fans in San Diego and from around the world, just as Comic-Con has been for the past 50 years.”

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2020, 09:02:28 PM »
comicconmuseum This Saturday at 2 PM PST we will be livestreaming a special presentation by Shag through our Facebook page. Make sure to tune in!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2020, 07:46:14 AM »
a couple of invites went out to charter members yesterday

Sense of Wonder: The Art of WonderCon Anaheim will have a special exhibit opening on Wednesday, February 19th at 6pm PST. As a Charter Member and early supporter of the Comic-Con Museum we’d like to provide you and a guest free admission to this event (General Admission will be $5). Charter Member tickets are limited, so act fast and RSVP

Please join us for our first ever Pop Culture Science event! As a Charter Member, we would like to offer you free, priority registration to our newest program brought to you by the Comic-Con Museum and the Fleet Science Center.

Come along as we explore the science behind everything we love about pop culture; from films, TV shows, comics, books, toys, and more. Join us on Friday, March 13, 2020 for a good Friday the 13th scare as we watch Get Out. Before the movie, we will hear from Dr. Phillip Serrato, Professor of English and Comparative Literature at San Diego State University, as he uses Get Out to explain why some horror movies scare us so deeply, why some people seek out horror films and how horror films offer audiences new types of knowledge that can prove disturbing or downright scary.

Get Out is rated R. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian. Contains some violence, bloody images, and language including sexual references.

check your emails!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
Gosh, I am so envious of charter members who are close enough to take part in all of these events. Looking forward to some good stuff maybe early in the SDCC week or during the con that I can attend!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »
a couple of invites went out to charter members yesterday

check your emails!

I haven't gotten email about this. It's been up on eventbrite and says it's free for charter members and $5 for general admission. Since it mentions a promo code I take it that charter members should have gotten an email with a promo code. Did people get an email about this?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2020, 05:36:47 AM »
I haven't gotten email about this. It's been up on eventbrite and says it's free for charter members and $5 for general admission. Since it mentions a promo code I take it that charter members should have gotten an email with a promo code. Did people get an email about this?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   I received an email invite on Feb 11.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia