Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Request Form Lottery - Submission Times  (Read 21490 times)

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Request Form Lottery - Submission Times
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
What time were you given access to the form? 9:00:34
What time did you submit the form? 9:00:46
How many downtown hotels did you choose? 6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose? 0
What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? Shuttle route
What waitlist preference did you pick? Yes, place me on the waitlist
If you get a notification, what group were you in? May 1
What was your result? First Choice
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:38:01 AM by Michael M »
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I mentioned this already, but (in a different window that I never clicked on when it was selected) I still saw the addRequest?q=  tag, so it didn't require the click to happen. I am quite curious to know what set the epoch time value in the tag.
/addRequest is the actual page for the form.  The "q=" or q-id number comes from queue-it as they process the queue and grant each session access to the form.  This number is used to track each individual session.  So any browser session that showed the form would have the /addRequest?q= entry in the cache even if you never clicked on any link because the browser had completed loading the page.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 03:57:52 PM »

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
What time were you given access to the form? 9:02
What time did you submit the form? 9:04
How many downtown hotels did you choose? 6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose? 6
What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? shuttle route
What waitlist preference did you pick? yes

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »
Note: the times are in minutes:seconds after 9:00 PDT / 11:00 CDT
What time were you given access to the form? 6:53
What time did you submit the form? 9:27

How many downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 0

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) shuttle route
What waitlist preference did you pick? (yes, no) yes

Offline Fazermint

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:17 PM »
What time were you given access to the form?  9:03:28
What time did you submit the form?  9:05:49

How many downtown hotels did you choose (0-6)  6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose (0-6)  0

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available)  Closest to the convention center.
What waitlist preference did you pick? (yes, no)  Yes.

If you get a notification, what group were you in? (May 1, May 8.)
What was your result? (Top choice downtown, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.)

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
I feel like another piece of data we should be collecting is what bed type you requested. I would think that more people are selecting an option that provides 2 beds, than people who select an option for only one bed. It would be interesting to see how that plays into room assignments. Does someone who got in much later get a top choice DT room over someone who got in much earlier because they only requested 1 bed instead of 2?

I mention it because I got in at a later time (9:04:14), but only requested 1 bed. And I'm hoping that works to our advantage, haha.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
I feel like another piece of data we should be collecting is what bed type you requested. I would think that more people are selecting an option that provides 2 beds, than people who select an option for only one bed. It would be interesting to see how that plays into room assignments. Does someone who got in much later get a top choice DT room over someone who got in much earlier because they only requested 1 bed instead of 2?

I mention it because I got in at a later time (9:04:14), but only requested 1 bed. And I'm hoping that works to our advantage, haha.

I honestly doubt that matters except for the price they charge you, just because they're always careful to say "number of beds cannot be guaranteed", and, anecdotally, because my husband and I have been requesting 1 bed for 8 years and we've ended up in a room with only one bed exactly once. And that year I called the hotel when the reservations transferred and asked them to note we would like a king bed if at all possible. I've never bothered since.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »

I had thought about that, number of rooms and dates requested would be interesting as well. I didn't want to ask for too much since at some point it might get too personal.

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
but only requested 1 bed. And I'm hoping that works to our advantage, haha.

At some other conventions, hotels will have a shortage of 1K or 2Q rooms, based on the preferences of their particular attendee group. I have never minded having a second unused bed in my hotel room but some people do, because I have heard them complaining loudly at checkin!  Maybe we're in an echo chamber in this forum, but I figured that among SDCC attendees, multiple beds HAS to be more popular than single beds, and it seems like hotel inventory is usually split pretty evenly.

TL;DR I am also hoping that a request for 1 bed works to our advantage  ::)

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
So many people were given nigh instantaneous access to the form. Initially, I felt good about getting to the form at 9:04, but now after seeing these posts, I feel like I'm SOL. :(

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »
So many people were given nigh instantaneous access to the form. Initially, I felt good about getting to the form at 9:04, but now after seeing these posts, I feel like I'm SOL. :(

I wouldn't necessarily say you're SOL. Time will tell I guess, but I'm not sure this forum would represent a typical sample of all submissions. Most are hard core about the Con (like me) and tech savvy (not like me). I'm guessing many that you see posted here with very early submission times had multiple browsers (not all) and well prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
I'm starting to go through and record things, but please feel free to go and edit or add information. I'm using the like button to indicate to myself that I've taken the information, so if I unlike your post don't worry, I still like you I'm just flagging the post for me to look at again.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted, hopefully we can get some more entries. So far we have about 60 in the thread, last year we had over 200 :)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
I'm starting to go through and record things, but please feel free to go and edit or add information. I'm using the like button to indicate to myself that I've taken the information, so if I unlike your post don't worry, I still like you I'm just flagging the post for me to look at again.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted, hopefully we can get some more entries. So far we have about 60 in the thread, last year we had over 200 :)
Mark, I PMed you. Last time I did you said it wound up in a spot you don't check often.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
Mark, I PMed you. Last time I did you said it wound up in a spot you don't check often.

I did get it, thanks! For some reason when you send me a pm I can only see it through tapatalk, and not through the forum website but I did notice it. (Last time I had to do a Taylor Swift spoof when I didn't notice, song was stuck in my head for weeks.)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
I did get it, thanks! For some reason when you send me a pm I can only see it through tapatalk, and not through the forum website but I did notice it. (Last time I had to do a Taylor Swift spoof when I didn't notice, song was stuck in my head for weeks.)
Hahaha! The punishment doesn't fit the crime!