Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Request Form Lottery - Submission Times  (Read 21483 times)

Offline racheva

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 38
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Request Form Lottery - Submission Times
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the main hotel thread, there are a couple theories about OnPeak, given near identical form entry times, choosing those with longer stays over those with shorter stays (e.g. Tuesday through Sunday as opposed to, say Thursday to Sunday).

It's probably too late this year, but maybe next year an additional question can be what days you chose to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think this is true. Onpeak would have to add another layer to their algorithm and for no real reason. Onpeak doesn't make more money, the hotels do, so I don't think onpeak would bother adding more complication. They have enough issues already!

And not that anecdotes are proof, but we have never requested more than the 4 nights, even back with travel planners, and we've received the MMM and the Bayfront, our first choices.
SDCC 2011-2017, NYCC 2014-2017, D23 EXPO 2015-2017, SWCO 2017, Wondercon 2016

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
I really don't think this is true. Onpeak would have to add another layer to their algorithm and for no real reason. Onpeak doesn't make more money, the hotels do, so I don't think onpeak would bother adding more complication. They have enough issues already!

And not that anecdotes are proof, but we have never requested more than the 4 nights, even back with travel planners, and we've received the MMM and the Bayfront, our first choices.

Yeah, I don't think I buy it either, but I think it still would be nice to have that datapoint, just to see if there is any sort of correlation. Personally, my anecdote matches yours: I've only ever requested 5 days / 4 nights, and I've always been able to get a hotel within 0.5 miles of the convention center.

Speaking of datapoints, I'm also wondering if it would be a value-add to ask if you submitted multiple forms with the same mailing address or email or same names. We're hearing cases of people getting in before 9:02 or even 9:01 and didn't get a hotel allocation. One possibility is that they were marked as duplicate. We're still not 100% sure how OnPeak's duplication detection works.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 11:23:59 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I buy it either, but I think it still would be nice to have that datapoint, just to see if there is any sort of correlation. Personally, my anecdote matches yours: I've only ever requested 5 days / 4 nights, and I've always been able to get a hotel within 0.5 miles of the convention center.

Speaking of datapoints, I'm also wondering if it would be a value-add to ask if you submitted multiple forms with the same mailing address or email or same names. We're hearing cases of people getting in before 9:02 or even 9:01 and didn't get a hotel allocation. One possibility is that they were marked as duplicate. We're still not 100% sure how OnPeak's duplication detection works.

Good idea to add it, of course I want to stress that people should only share whatever they are comfortable with. As I think has been mentioned, this comes up from time to time but sometimes there's a feeling that longer stays are better and other times that shorter stays are better. My personal feeling on it is that I always enter longer stays, if it helps then ok, but even if it doesn't it is trivial to shorten the reservation if I need to.

I know lots of people are eagerly awaiting any news that comes tomorrow, so want to make another request to share your data if you are able.

Google form is here:

Or you can post in this thread. If you were on firefox or chrome and can check your cache that's awesome, instructions are at the start of this thread. If you have already entered some information in this thread and use the google form this time, please indicate something at the beginning of the form that we can use to match it up, like usernameXYZ or usernameXYZ's friend.

You can also send me a pm. I am completely and boringly trustworthy. Like that time [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] privately confessed to me that he hates Tim Horton's? Never mentioned it to a soul.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted so far, and to everyone waiting for tomorrow's update, best of luck and get what sleep you can.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »

You can also send me a pm. I am completely and boringly trustworthy. Like that time [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] privately confessed to me that he hates Tim Horton's? Never mentioned it to a soul.

LOL
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
Just submitted my results from last week via the Google Form. Thanks for putting this together, [member=4270]mark[/member]! :)
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »

My first submission was through IE, IE is very uncooperative and the file did not give me any times. 
guess 9:01 mark or earlier to access, 9:03 maybe to submit

6 DT
closest to CC
waitlist

UPDATE:
Got 6th choice Manchester Grand Hyatt

Offline Totorozzz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
What time were you given access to the form? 9:03 roughly
What time did you submit the form? 9:04
What was the first queue number that you saw? Did not notice

How many downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 0

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) Closest to convention center
What waitlist preference did you pick? (yes, no) Yes

If you get a notification, what group were you in? (May 1, May 8.) May 8
What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) Other Non-Downtown. Got Town and Country

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Chrome
What time were you given access to the form? 9:01 AM PST
What time did you submit the form? 9:04 AM PST

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? closest to the convention center
What waitlist preference did you pick? yes

If you get a notification, what group were you in? N/A
What was your result? N/A

Firefox
What time were you given access to the form? 9:04:04 AM PST
What time did you submit the form? 9:07:41 AM PST

How many downtown hotels did you choose: 6
How many non-downtown hotels did you choose: 0

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? closest to the convention center
What waitlist preference did you pick? no

If you get a notification, what group were you in? N/A
What was your result? N/A

On Chrome, we received our first choice, Manchester Grand Hyatt!

On Firefox, we got the Dana in Mission Valley.

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
What time were you given access to the form? 9:02 roughly
What time did you submit the form? 9:03
What was the first queue number that you saw? Did not notice

How many non-downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 1

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) Closest to convention center

What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) #6 choice - Springhill Suites

Cheers,
~S
Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
What time were you given access to the form? 9:05
What time did you submit the form? 9:07
What was the first queue number that you saw? Didn't see one

What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) #6 choice - Not one of my choices at all - Sheraton San Diego Hotel Mission Valley

Offline Saitama85

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

What time were you given access to the form? 9:02
What time did you submit the form? 9:06
What was the first queue number that you saw? can't remember ...

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) shuttle route
What waitlist preference did you pick? (yes, no) yes

If you get a notification, what group were you in? (May 1, May 8.)  May 8
What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) none of my choices - Bay Club Hotel and Marina

Offline smiley424

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
I already submitted using the google docs link

What time were you given access to the form? 09:05
What time did you submit the form? 09:07
What was the first queue number that you saw? don't remember

How many non-downtown hotels did you choose (0-6) 4

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) shuttle route

What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) none of my choices - La Quinta Mission Valley
SDCC 2014
NYCC 2015
NYCC 2016
SDCC 2017
NYCC 2018
SDCC 2019
NYCC 2019
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022

Offline Dileo33

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »
Updating post to include results.

What time were you given access to the form? 9:02
What time did you submit the form? 9:05 (would have been sooner but the hotel drop-down menu wouldn't let me select one of the hotels I wanted)

What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) other downtown not on my list - US Grant.

Offline Drogon

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
Thank you so much for putting this together...  Helps bring some sense of sanity to an otherwise maddening process.  I entered my data (below) into goolge docs.

What time were you given access to the form? 9:01
What time did you submit the form? 9:05

What option did you pick if your preferred hotels weren't available? (closest to the convention center, lowest available rate, shuttle route,  disregard my request if choices aren't available) closest to the convention center

What was your result? (#1 choice, Other downtown hotel on your list, other downtown, Top choice non-downtown, other non-downtown, waitlist, nothing.) other downtown - The Westgate
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:24:39 PM by Drogon »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »

The impression I got when I was talking to the OnPeak rep is that CCI and the hotels call the shots as far as how they want to handle the hotel distribution and OnPeak just provides the platform to do it