Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26646 times)

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
I have to wonder, if SDCC is held, how many people will go or want to go due to FOMO?  Even if SDCC is scaled back, it will become an event people will talk about for decades.  Also, how many people are hoping SDCC will cancel and take the decision out of their hands?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
This is an opinion piece, but it is saying that this could cause mega conventions like SDCC and NYCC to become a thing of the past:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It’s a very real possibility. I already thought SDCC had reached its peak and was beginning to decline, and this could exacerbate-to-completely-wipeout it. While I personally would welcome far fewer lines at SDCC, I of course don’t want it to be wiped out completely. But it’s a very real possibility that SDCC as we know it is no longer. This is going to change the landscape for a long time. More people will be suspicious of large crowds, and there will be less money to go around to support these kinds of events for the next few years. I don’t see SDCC happening this year, and I’m not even 100% certain that the conditions will be in place to bring it back next year. But...I wasn’t always into these kinds of conventions, and I don’t always have to be. If they come back, then I’ll gladly keep on going. If not...I’ll miss them but things will be fine. Based on my signature (and that of many other members of this forum), the conventions have brought enjoyment to us for many years. It has been a good run.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
As I had mentioned, I work in events and have a professional interest in seeing sports, cons, travel  etc start up again. From all the polls we’ve been seeing and we’ve been fielding in the past few weeks, there will be some hesitancy in the beginning, once social distancing measures begin to ease up. People will wait about 2-3 months to travel or go to sporting events. But they all want to go.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
I have to wonder, if SDCC is held, how many people will go or want to go due to FOMO?  Even if SDCC is scaled back, it will become an event people will talk about for decades.  Also, how many people are hoping SDCC will cancel and take the decision out of their hands?

i was in Boston for a convention the weekend after the marathon bombing. At that point, the suspects had not been caught.
The convention held a gathering at a shop outside of the city. I always wish i had attended. It sounded like massive fun and really special.

As I had mentioned, I work in events and have a professional interest in seeing sports, cons, travel  etc start up again. From all the polls we’ve been seeing and we’ve been fielding in the past few weeks, there will be some hesitancy in the beginning, once social distancing measures begin to ease up. People will wait about 2-3 months to travel or go to sporting events. But they all want to go.

Thanks for that information. It sounds 'right'. I think the antibody test will affect peoples feelings in a positive way about going back to large events.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
This is an opinion piece, but it is saying that this could cause mega conventions like SDCC and NYCC to become a thing of the past:

It’s a very real possibility. I already thought SDCC had reached its peak and was beginning to decline, and this could exacerbate-to-completely-wipeout it. While I personally would welcome far fewer lines at SDCC, I of course don’t want it to be wiped out completely. But it’s a very real possibility that SDCC as we know it is no longer. This is going to change the landscape for a long time. More people will be suspicious of large crowds, and there will be less money to go around to support these kinds of events for the next few years. I don’t see SDCC happening this year, and I’m not even 100% certain that the conditions will be in place to bring it back next year. But...I wasn’t always into these kinds of conventions, and I don’t always have to be. If they come back, then I’ll gladly keep on going. If not...I’ll miss them but things will be fine. Based on my signature (and that of many other members of this forum), the conventions have brought enjoyment to us for many years. It has been a good run.

Interesting article!  And I agree with your thoughts.

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557

While I can see their points, the fact that Marvel hasn't opted out for the past few years, they were there last year, made it hard for me to have confidence in the writer's ideas.  It still generates hype but it's definitely different than it use to be and I hear more and more people saying it's not worth their time.  However, they also aren't looking at the money factor.  SDCC might not do this but all the other cons are helping actors bring in a lot of money with photo ops and autographs.  So NYCC and SDCC have one significant difference there.  It could be CCI has to change their model but at the end of the day if it becomes a thing of the past I think it will be because CCI lost too much money from having to cancel. 

It's an interesting opinion though, I appreciate you sharing. 

Bill Gates believes large events will not happen until the vaccine is out.  If he is right, that means 2020 and 2021 could not occur.

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
One main factor that is overlooked is the number of people out of work and very tight on money. That will most certainly have an effect on SDCC this year. SDCC is very expensive to attend.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Not nearly as much of a consideration as the fact that if they have to cancel it is probably not covered by insurance.

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Not nearly as much of a consideration as the fact that if they have to cancel it is probably not covered by insurance.

Actually we have discussed that one, but maybe it was more in the ECCC area. We figure they wait so long to announce they are canceled because of this factor.  It makes sense they don't want to take a loss until they have no choice. 

I think another factor may also be how many refund requests they get before the deadline.  I think that was a huge factor for ECCC once they opened up for refunds.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
And the head of ReedPop was actually interviewed recently, and he was the one who said insurance doesn't cover any of it.  ReedPop had to eat all losses due to postponing ECCC.  If ReedPop's insurance doesn't cover it, for all of the events they do, I assume SDCC's doesn't either.  So that really means that SDCC will wait until they are given no choice.  Which is also why it seems most cons kept saying "we're still on" for so long and when they canceled/postponed it was usually "the government told us we had to."

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
One main factor that is overlooked is the number of people out of work and very tight on money. That will most certainly have an effect on SDCC this year. SDCC is very expensive to attend.

Since SDCC has enough demand to sell out tickets many times over I don’t see this particular factor having a big effect on it. But it’s definitely a concern for shows that barely sell out/don’t sell out. Many conventions are not going to be able to make it out of this.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
And the head of ReedPop was actually interviewed recently, and he was the one who said insurance doesn't cover any of it.  ReedPop had to eat all losses due to postponing ECCC.  If ReedPop's insurance doesn't cover it, for all of the events they do, I assume SDCC's doesn't either.  So that really means that SDCC will wait until they are given no choice.  Which is also why it seems most cons kept saying "we're still on" for so long and when they canceled/postponed it was usually "the government told us we had to."

SDCC should be fine if the nonprofit still has its reserves in place.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
Doesn't mean they just want to take a multi-million dollar hit though, especially since they probably took some hit from WonderCon being postponed.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
That's why I say they won't cancel unless forced to do so. So get your refund request ready by the cutoff if you aren't comfortable about going, which if you are, hopefully you had it and are immune now. Otherwise expect to get it and take your chances.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
Maybe sdcc will get some help from that stimulus check