Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214758 times)

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #960 on: July 29, 2022, 04:04:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We went to two places we hadn't been before:

• Huntress:  A "mostly" steak place on 5th Avenue with Asian influences.  It was good, but probably too pricey for the average fan.
  • Il Sogno Italiano:  Italian, obviously.  The food was your standard Italian fare.  I had a pasta with bolognese sauce that I couldn't finish because of the huge portion.  I wouldn't go back because the noise level was very high given they had a live jazz band playing at full volume in the middle of the restaurant.  We couldn't talk and hear each other.

Besides that, I went to places I've been to before:  Seville (always satisfying), Water Grill (great seafood), and STK for a terrific steak dinner.   The latter made major improvements since 2019.

We tried Seville and also Il Sogno. Both were great. Agree on the high volume of the music played. Son and I did the 5 course meal at Seville and it was delicious. Had enough leftovers for another meal. I did have to ask them to turn down the music a tad bit.

Nobu on Saturday night is our tradition and it did not disappoint. Reservations have to be made a month ahead. The food is pricey but we had plenty and it was not as expensive as some of the other restaurants during the Con. Love this thread. Will have to remember to check it out before the next SDCC.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #961 on: July 29, 2022, 05:45:02 PM »
For those that don’t have plenty unless I win tonight, We went to Bon Appetito in Little Italy. Best pasta I ate.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #962 on: Today at 11:57:24 AM »

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #962 on: July 30, 2022, 07:04:59 AM »
We got takeout from Eggies for breakfast sandwiches:

We also went here more than once for ice cream:

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #963 on: July 31, 2022, 02:18:34 AM »
Did anybody discover any new (or new to them) spots this year?

I made it a point this year to go to places we hadn't been before, and we were mostly successful. First off, the one repeat this year was Tin Fish, since it won't be around anymore. I love me some fish and chips.

Roy's Restaurant - Okay, this isn't really new to me, since I've been to the one in Oahu and the one in San Francisco, but this was my first time in the Marriott location. The highlight, as always, was the Canoe for Two -- appetizer consisting of short ribs, a tuna roll, a lobster potsticker, and chicken spring roll. I had the butterfish, which is to die for. Oh, and our waiter comped us not one, but TWO desserts because of all the delays (she was super busy). I obviously tipped her extra.

Richard Walker's Pancake House - OMG, their baked pancake. So fluffy. So good. I'm officially breaking up with Broken Yolk. Richard Walker's is my new #1.

Bar Basic Pizza - We got a small meatball pizza, which was deceptively large, but super thin, and was just the perfect amount for two people. It was a great pizza, and I am definitely coming back.

Dog Haus - Good food, terrible service. I had the Bad Mutha Clucker chicken sandwich, which was a really good sandwich. The problem is, it took FORTY-FIVE minutes for our order to come. And I really don't understand why, because there was only like 3-4 other groups of people in the restaurant. It wasn't just us waiting forever for our food either. I did manage to get a free tater tots side, but it really didn't make up for the long wait. With the distance to the con, I'm not sure I'll be coming back.

Margaritas Kitchen & Cantina - a taqueria in Seaport Village. I had three tacos, two carnitas, and one fish. The carnitas tacos were a bit bland and dry, but the fish taco was most excellent. I'm definitely coming back next year for more of the fish tacos.

Skybound Coffee - My usual goto at SDCC is Lani Coffee -- which I did have 3x -- but I wanted to try other coffee places, and this was the first of two. I had an iced vanilla latté, which was pretty good, but my sister had a Skybound mocha, which we both agreed tasted weird. Certainly not like any other mocha we've had, and not really in a good way.

HOB Coffee -- We had their SDCC specials, for me, the Vecna's Updown Down Latté (Iced vanilla charcoal latte with raspberry cold foam), and for my sis, The Hulk Smash (Iced Pandan latté with Ube cold foam). We both loved both drinks. We're definitely coming back to at least check out their regular drinks.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #964 on: April 17, 2023, 03:41:37 PM »
My wife has a soy allergy and latex food allergy (most fruits and veggies are off the table except leafy greens).  It's something she's developed over the years to now when we go to Comic-Con, eating has become very difficult for her.  Soy, soybean oil, soy lecithin are in almost everything.  Anybody else have similar allergies and have some good advice for restaurants around the convention center?

Offline larry999

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #965 on: April 18, 2023, 10:16:15 AM »
I saw they recently opened a Chick'n Cone a little north of Petco Park

910 J St Space 2, San Diego, CA 92101

They have a few locations in Texas and throughout the US.

It’s basically chicken nuggets served in a waffle cone. Very good.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #966 on: April 18, 2023, 05:26:20 PM »
Tacos El Gordo finally opened up a downtown spot by Horton Plaza since the last SDCC. Haven't had a chance to try that location yet, but I've been to the ones in Chula Vista and Las Vegas many, many times and it hits the spot every time. Can't imagine how good it'll hit after a long day at the Con.

Instead of one line for ordering, they have separate lines dedicated to each of their meat options, so you pick your line(s), order, watch them make your order right in front of you, and then pay at a central cashier. Adobada is traditionally the most popular meat, but you can't go wrong with any of them. For vegetarians, I know the spot on the Las Vegas strip has nopal/cactus as a vegetarian option. I'm not sure if they have it at all locations, though.

Bit of a walk from the Convention Center, but definitely worth the trek if you've never had the chance to partake. And all you con-goers should be used to it if the lines get a little chaotic. Open real late, too!

511 F Street, San Diego, Ca 92102

Phone
+1 (619) 955-8220

Hours
Sun - Thur: 10AM - 2AM
Fri - Sat: 10AM - 4AM
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #967 on: May 22, 2023, 04:33:24 PM »
Hello!  It's our first time to SDCC.  Thinking we need to make dinner reservations now.  I checked out last year's schedule and it looks like there are still panels into the evening.  We typically would make reservations at 6:30 or 7.  Do we need reservations for all or dinners?  I'm concerned about wandering around and not getting into a restaurant until much later.

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #968 on: May 22, 2023, 04:37:53 PM »
Hello!  It's our first time to SDCC.  Thinking we need to make dinner reservations now.  I checked out last year's schedule and it looks like there are still panels into the evening.  We typically would make reservations at 6:30 or 7.  Do we need reservations for all or dinners?  I'm concerned about wandering around and not getting into a restaurant until much later.

Unless you have your heart set on one specific place at a specific time, you really don't need to make reservations. For the last few Cons, I've had sit-down dinners in restaurants within walking distance of the Convention Center every night Wed-Sat, and was able to make day-of reservations or walk-in to all of them.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #969 on: May 22, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
Thanks!  I'll stop overplanning!

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #970 on: May 22, 2023, 06:03:08 PM »
Our group does a Ralph’s run when we get there for food and snacks then we’ll work in sit-down meals when we can. There might be a wait, but we haven’t had any issues or needed reservations, unless there was a pop-up that required one. There are tons of options, so you’ll be fine!

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #971 on: May 22, 2023, 06:52:45 PM »

I would say it really depends on where you want to eat.  My friend and I traditionally picked where we wanted to eat several days ahead of time and made reservations.  We may not have had to, but it was comfortable having them.  We did strike out on reservations on one place that is popular with the locals--Cowboy Star Steak House--and that's not even close to the convention center.  I do try to eat at some of the "hot" newer restaurants.  I'm a bit of a foodie.  Last year, it was Huntress and I think we needed our reservations.  The other people there seemed to be locals and not con people.  But, the run-of-the-mill places in the Gaslamp aren't that hard to get into, as someone else said.  Some of those places don't even take reservations during SDCC anyway, due to the tendency of people of not showing up.

Regardless of the restaurant, you don't need to make reservations this early.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #972 on: May 23, 2023, 04:05:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  My husband would enjoy a steak house.  I'll check out how far it is from the Indigo.  I have a feeling we're not going to want to walk to far from the hotel.  We'll still be recovering from Disneyland when we get to SDCC.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #973 on: May 23, 2023, 04:31:53 PM »
Cowboy Star is on my list that I might be going to Monday or Tuesday.  Want a good dinner before the whole con kicks in.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #974 on: June 04, 2023, 07:02:01 PM »
I have gone through the restaurants in my spreadsheet of the restaurants in this thread.

Here are the ones that seem to be closed - let me know if I am mistaken on any of these. For the chains, it is the location mentioned that is most likely closed. I move these to the "Now Closed" tab of the spreadsheet:

Brian's 24 Restaurant
Ciro’s Pizzeria & Beerhouse
CrunchTime Popcorn
Dog Haus
Gaslamp Strip Club Steakhouse
Hot Dogs @ 428 Gaslamp (I think this has been closed a while and there is another pizza place there)
Rare Form
Sushi 2
Tin Fish - Gaslamp (Is now Baja Rick's)
Wicked Maine Lobster (Little Italy Food Hall)
Eclipse Chocolate

Will post the updated stats as far as top ten mentioned restaurants (positive mentions)
I also added any new restaurants mentioned since last year (date entry shaded green for those)

Ignore the Map column for now - it probably still works, but I am working on a Google map.
Ang