Author Topic: New scooter laws just in time for comic-con.  (Read 9109 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: New scooter laws just in time for comic-con.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 06:30:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Very happy with the new scooter regulations!  Very few violators.  Security seemed to have pretty good control.  Saw lots of them on the perimeter, but none in front of the convention center.  Yay!  :)

I heard one guy tell someone the problem with using the scooters is they don't tell you when you are inside the perimeter until you park.  Then, you know you are inside because it won't let you park.  Then, you have to take it outside the perimeter and park.  Meanwhile, you are getting charged both ways.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
I heard one guy tell someone the problem with using the scooters is they don't tell you when you are inside the perimeter until you park.  Then, you know you are inside because it won't let you park.  Then, you have to take it outside the perimeter and park.  Meanwhile, you are getting charged both ways.

Now that was odd.  I can see the dissatisfaction and frustration there.   :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:54:55 AM »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
This! The few times we rode them it was impossible to find ok spots to park them.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »

yes, that was annoying - i encountered it too but perhaps not as much since i was aware of the restriced zone prior to sdcc. The restricted zone seemed to corallate with the slowdown zone. tbh, the slowdown zone reduced the speed to an effective fast walk which given the foot traffic in the gaslamp made using the scooters to almost useless.

if i needed to go from the Hilton bayfront to the hyatt- I'd go across the footbridge & out to market- thereby avoiding most of the foot traffic & no parking zones
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »
Here's a story on scooters that were impounded.  I saw the city workers doing this while waiting for the Stan Lee Audible.  They were not gentle.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
i did have one snafu with a Bird scooter.
A week or so after the con, i used a scooter to go from the Sofia hotel to the Hyatt. I was charged $54.31. About 10 times the amount i should have been charged.

I contacted bird through the app, outlining where i picked it up & dropped it off and approx times. they are crediting me back $48. But it took a day or two for them to respond
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 06:04:52 AM »
I do have to say that my son had a fun time on one of those things--outside the boundaries of course.  I, however, kept my 2 feet on the ground!   ;D  they can go pretty fast.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
I do have to say that my son had a fun time on one of those things--outside the boundaries of course.  I, however, kept my 2 feet on the ground!   ;D  they can go pretty fast.

The move is on to ban escooters period.  This is disheartening for me since I've been riding various forms of escooters for over 20 years.  All this time, legally they were considered bicycles.  Now because of these scooters services, they maybe banned.  This already happened years ago in some cities like New York.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
there's a huge difference between personally owned devices and ride-share devices- the latter is in the ecommerce public domain & the other is a personal device like a electric assisted peddle bike-
I use to work for a cycling company & be in that community. lots of folks in my area wanted to 'get those bikes off the road' but the fact of the matter is we've got a right to use the road too. roads are not just for cars. i don't see how they can prohibit privately owned electric people movers

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »
I think the City Government of San Diego is out to  stop the renta-a-escooter thing.  Friday morning of SDCC,  while waiting in line for Amazon Prime experience, we saw a City of San Diego truck with workers picking up scooters and throwing on to the  truck.  I asked one of the workers why they were taking the scooters.  He said per ordinance, scooters not left in marked  scooter  parking spaces are impounded. The city charges a $65 impound fee, plus $1/day until picked up.  Plus the  3mph speed limit in certain areas of Gas Lamp is a real bummer.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
there's a huge difference between personally owned devices and ride-share devices- the latter is in the ecommerce public domain & the other is a personal device like a electric assisted peddle bike-
I use to work for a cycling company & be in that community. lots of folks in my area wanted to 'get those bikes off the road' but the fact of the matter is we've got a right to use the road too. roads are not just for cars. i don't see how they can prohibit privately owned electric people movers

Unfortunately when the bans happen, they make no distinction between privately owned scooters or "public" scooters.  They ban them all.  In London and New York City for example, all these scooters are banned.  SDSU just implemented a ban.  All escooters, ebikes, eanything are banned.  Doesn't matter if it's a scooter from a company or privately owned.  Pretty much anything with a motor.

On a related note, San Diego is trying to revoke Lime's operating permit.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »
It's done.  Lime is pulling out of San Diego.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 07:47:28 AM »
I dont live there so hard for me to be super critical, but I do think they over reached on how strict the limitations are they put in place. Not enough "legal" parking spots were made, too many impounds without notification and so on.  Think if they struck up a nice balance or just limited the number of devices allowed in the city to keep it reasonable it would be good for the companies and the city.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
This comes as a surprise to me.  I do think some of the companies "went wild" with bringing the machines in,  and are responsible for much of this seeming backlash of strict regulations that have cut into their profit margins.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
Nice discussion about scooters today on NPR.  Excellent comparisons to how Bicycles were first treated by cities 100 years ago to how scooters are being treated today.  Listen here: