Author Topic: What rituals do we have for returning registration day?  (Read 4188 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
What rituals do we have for returning registration day?
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
While I was visualizing returning registration day for 2020, I realized that I have to get certain things in order.  Over the past couple of years, there are certain habits I have developed to help me along the way:

I have 2 ice cold bottles of water, just to the left of my computer monitor.
To my right, I have chocolate—plain milk chocolate..and plenty of it.
Just in case I am not in the mood for chocolate, I have Krispy Kreme crullers.  Yes, an entire bag.  (You may judge me, if you must) 
Then I have wet wipes on my left to make sure my hands are clean after diving into the crullers.
My bottle of lavender essential oil is placed between my monitor and keyboard....ahhh.
Also on my left, I have my printed information, in case —-horrors— , I have to type stuff in from scratch.
I clear the runway to the restroom, and make a visual careful inspection of my path there and back.
I sit down and make sure everything is within easy reach.
I Contact everyone and anyone who may be calling me, and remind them —gently—to wag off until and if I call them.  —Unless something horrific happens, of course.

Standing up, I reach down and touch my palms to the floor, stretching, as I may not be moving very much for a looooong time. 

I take 3 deep breaths, close my eyes, and visualize not only securing my reg, but helping my group to victory!  ;D

I think I am ready now...How about you?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: What rituals do we have for returning registration day?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
Never sleeping the night before a sale. I swear, the more sleep deprived I am, the better the results. I've basically given up on sleeping in the days leading up due to anxiety.

Other than that it's obsessively bugging my buying group about the information. I get to hound people to get their information in, and then after that's done... hound people to be online at the right time! I swear, the number of people who roll out of bed 10 minutes before the waiting room locks to turn on their devices are just trying to raise my blood pressure. lol

Basically, stress and sleep deprivation, mainly the sleep deprivation.

Edit: back during uni, I would always order a breakfast burrito for delivery the morning of every sale etc. Ah the good old days...
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:50:32 AM »

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
I make sure I have water bottles and my inhaler on my desk, and a clear path to the bathroom. The most regular thing I’ve done on registration day is the nap afterwards. I always crash and take a nap...thanks adrenaline!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CarrieD

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »
I email my friends who are going a spreadsheet to fill out what days they want. They all send me back the info and I consolidate it and send it back out. Then I print it in case.
Go get Starbucks.
Set up a messenger chat and about half way through the waiting room log in time we do a group conference call.
15 minutes before it opens we tell everyone to go to the bathroom.
And then we wait.
If we are lucky I then send another spreadsheet of who paid what and who owes who.

The conference call is usually fun as we just chit chat of what everyone has been up to since SDCC as we all live in different cities.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
SWCO 2017
FanExpo Canada 2018
Montreal CC  2016, 2019, 2022
Ottawa CC 2016, 2017

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
I think I may have to do a dry run this weekend...with the chocolate and crullers,  for sure. :D

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Nothing is better than what I call "victory pancakes" after a successful badge sale. Also, very few things are better than "sorrow pancakes" after a not-so-successful sale.

So...pancakes.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
Mostly technical things. I will reset the router a few hours before, make certain I have fresh batteries for my mouse and keyboard, and put a laptop on my phone's wireless hotspot just in case. Our internet can be fickle sometimes, once it went out right during the pre-lottery hotelpocalype and I have been paranoid ever since.

Also a firm believer in having a reward afterwards, no matter what the outcome is.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:52:44 PM »
Is having to pee every 5 minutes starting at 8am a ritual??  :D

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
Well, I was to start a lil bit of a diet that Thursday, but now that RetReg is that Saturday, I can't break my ritual of large Dunkin' Donuts coffee and some donuts :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »
sleeping in #volunteerlife   :P

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mostly technical things. I will reset the router a few hours before, make certain I have fresh batteries for my mouse and keyboard, and put a laptop on my phone's wireless hotspot just in case. Our internet can be fickle sometimes, once it went out right during the pre-lottery hotelpocalype and I have been paranoid ever since.

I also go through technical things. I tend to clear my cache and ensure adblockers are off for the relevant URLs and cookies (both 1st and 3rd party) are accepted (I like to have a lot of things blocked). Also, I turn off my screensaver.

As for non-technical, I set at least two alarms (though invariably I always wake up before the first alarm goes off). And I abstain from any eating or drinking beforehand as I tend to get nervous and anxious during registration and that usually leads to needing to use the bathroom

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
It is almost time, so I have to begin gathering my perishable supplies for this coming Saturday.  Rituals don’t fail me now!  :)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
Order a giant cold brew from Starbucks on Friday, get a free refill, and put it in the fridge to save for Saturday morning.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
I never can get any sleep the night before. In the morning, when I sit down at the computer, my restless legs kick in right away and I can't contain that anxious up/down shake they so love to do during registration. I tell the family I am off limits for the next few hours and then get to work with my group. No special pre-game foods...but maybe a celebratory In-N-Out burger for lunch while I decompress for the next 24 hours after the sale. Why it takes so much from me that I need 24 hours is beyond me, but it really does a doozie on me for some reason. I assume others feel that, too.
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 06:13:31 AM »
I go to McDonald's for breakfast.  Usually, regardless of result, I need the rest of the day, if not weekend to calm down. 

I am already going as a volunteer so some of the stress is taken out but obviously, badges is ideal.