Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration  (Read 31959 times)

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
Re: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
Question for those that work in a group, do you guys meet up at someone's house/central location like Starbucks?  Or is everyone in your group at their own separate locations?   Or perhaps a combination of both? 

I'm wondering if the registration system has an algorithm that recognizes same network addresses of people in the virtual waiting room and therefore allows one of the people from the group into the registration stage.   

I have four devices logged into the same network address, which is my home internet, and typically for the last few years, one of the four devices have gotten through the registration page where we were able to get at least four days passes.   So, I'm wondering if a group using the same network address helps getting out of the waiting and into the registration stage.   Typically, once of the devices gets into registration, the other three remain in the waiting room until all the badges are sold out.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
SDCC 2020 Returning Registration
« Reply #241 on: October 17, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
For our group, we are located throughout the US and communicate on our google spreadsheet chat function. It has worked well for our group, imo
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:29:13 AM by dolphina »
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 11:34:19 AM »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
SDCC 2020 Returning Registration
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm wondering if the registration system has an algorithm that recognizes same network addresses of people in the virtual waiting room and therefore allows one of the people from the group into the registration stage. 

I’ve always been paranoid about this, so when I handle registration for my sister and I, I always use two separate computers, with one connected to VPN, so they’re both coming from separate IPs. Same thing with Hotel Registration.

That being said, I know of others who have gotten through with multiple codes from the same household, and I’m fairly certain they weren’t using VPN.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:47:39 AM by accelerate »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
No VPN used.  My group all meets together at a computer lab so several devices going on the same IP.  Never not got in on at least 2 devices.
Thank goodness some of our group are school teachers!

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #244 on: October 17, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
Question for those that work in a group, do you guys meet up at someone's house/central location like Starbucks?  Or is everyone in your group at their own separate locations?   Or perhaps a combination of both? 

I have four devices logged into the same network address, which is my home internet, and typically for the last few years, one of the four devices have gotten through the registration page where we were able to get at least four days passes.   So, I'm wondering if a group using the same network address helps getting out of the waiting and into the registration stage.   Typically, once of the devices gets into registration, the other three remain in the waiting room until all the badges are sold out.
The group I roll with uses a chat app (that also has voice functionality to talk in real-time or text in real-time) to communicate.  Also, watching the Google Drive spreadsheet update in real time is beneficial.  Members are scattered throughout the country, with some from other countries (or rather, U.S. island territories)

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #245 on: October 17, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
Thanks! You have definitely given me some hope in this process!! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few (including myself) who can't help but stalk the OnPeak hotel list after Hotelpocalypse. You will see constant posts on the forum about available hotels. In particular, the hotels that are about half a mile from the Convention Center tend to pop up quite often (Westin Gaslamp, The Sofia Hotel, etc.).

If you're VERY brave, waiting until the week or two before the Con can net you some of the big name hotels.  ;D

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »

I wondered that myself, so for the last several years, my wife and I used our house internet for one computer and a separate hot spot or an iPad for the other. I didn't realize until the last minute that I screwed up and used IE instead of Chrome on one computer and that's the one that didn't get through. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's somewhat worth noting as there have been complaints and issues in the past.

If you're VERY brave, waiting until the week or two before the Con can net you some of the big name hotels.  ;D

It's smart to have a back-up; I had a fall-back plan and had an outskirts downtown hotel booked in case I didn't get lucky. When the HBF became available, I booked it for the last two days of the con and then called my current hotel and cancelled the last two days of that stay since I had already paid for the first two. That way, I'm not penalized and giving money away.

Moving from downtown to the HBF on Friday was a bit of a hassle because of construction near Petco Park and afternoon traffic, but it was well worth it. I ended up seeing Cress Williams and Christine Adams from Black Lightning and Christine let me get a selfie while in the elevator. She was really sweet! We also saw Donald Faison (from Scrubs and Emergence) chatting it up with people in the lobby.

Anyway, towards the end of the waitlist days, I had seen every hotel show vacancies except for the Hard Rock and the Omni. Just when I had almost abandoned all hope, BAM!! Multiple HBF rooms showed up! :D

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
There are a few (including myself) who can't help but stalk the OnPeak hotel list after Hotelpocalypse. You will see constant posts on the forum about available hotels. In particular, the hotels that are about half a mile from the Convention Center tend to pop up quite often (Westin Gaslamp, The Sofia Hotel, etc.).

Yes, I noticed that as well - good and close hotels opening up space last minute. But I'm not brave enough to do that, especially since I'm going solo.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
72+ hours and I never received a confirmation for 2 of my 3 sessions that made it through. Card was only charged for one session. I have screen shots, but hopefully they contact me soon to tell me my other 2 sessions were flagged, so I can use another card.

I have the emailed receipt, but still no bar code confirmation.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
I have the emailed receipt, but still no bar code confirmation.
I wonder if the 72 hours include the Monday Holiday or not, though seems like you can try and Contact CCI.

From the Contact Us feature.

ATTENDEE BADGES – RETURNING REGISTRATION

If you were able to purchase badges during Returning Registration, you will receive a badge confirmation email within 72 hours of your purchase. We will not reply to any inquiries regarding a badge confirmation email prior to the 72‑hour window. If you do not receive your badge confirmation email within that time frame, you will have the ability to resend your own confirmation in late October. At that time, the Resend Comic-Con Badge Confirmation button will be available under the "Registration Info" tab in your Member ID account.

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:08 PM »
I wonder if the 72 hours include the Monday Holiday or not, though seems like you can try and Contact CCI.

Monday Holliday?

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »

Thanks. I tried that but no response yet. It's been my experience that they don't answer their emails, but I will wait.

Offline tk415650

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
I never got the barcode email either. On the 'Contact Us' page CCI says to not bother contacting them yet about the lack of email.  It goes on to say something about clicking on a link to resend your email at the "end of October" whenever that is. ::)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »
Monday Holliday?
In some areas, not sure about San Diego, Columbus Day.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2019, 05:29:23 AM »
I never got the barcode email either. On the 'Contact Us' page CCI says to not bother contacting them yet about the lack of email.  It goes on to say something about clicking on a link to resend your email at the "end of October" whenever that is. ::)

I must have missed that part about resend button.  It's not there yet.  Will keep an eye out.