Author Topic: SDCC 2013 On-Site Pre-Reg -- Yes people are talking already  (Read 18120 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1768
Re: SDCC 2013 On-Site Pre-Reg -- Yes people are talking already
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
Transmute Jun-Good point about the snail mail.  Thanks to you and andrewbrowning for letting them know. 

Offline redneckotaku

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I think they aren't going to to do it due to the massive hassles it causes. It also takes away possible programming space for the convention to grow. That ballroom at the Hyatt for Registration could've been used for one or two decent size panel rooms. By putting everything online, it also gives people an equal chance of getting passes. It also gives them flexibility if they ever do move because they won't have to refund people who commit to San Diego for the con.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:21:33 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 5816
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they aren't going to to do it due to the massive hassles it causes. It also takes away possible programming space for the convention to grow. That ballroom at the Hyatt for Registration could've been used for one or two decent size panel rooms. By putting everything online, it also gives people an equal chance of getting passes. It also gives them flexibility if they ever do move because they won't have to refund people who commit to San Diego for the con.

I am kinda surprised they did it last year given the member id system start up learning curve issues.   I'm holding out hope they'll allow pre-reg again this year because
a) all the systems are in place

b) a small amount of hard core fans are a good thing, consider the cosplay fans who work on their costumes all year, for example. 

c) In the scope of approx 125,000 badges, 10,000 is 8% of badges sold at pre-reg.  (assuming i did the math correctly)

and lastly, idk if you pre-reg'd last year but the computers took up a small amount of room in the ballroom, it could still be used for other functions later on in the day. I don't remember if it was or not but it could be.<grin>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline outphase

• Exhibit Hall
    • Law Bomb
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »
Pre-reg last year was made into a spectacle for no reason. Previous years, there was a booth in the Sails Pavilion where people would walk up and pre-reg for the following year. Last year, moving it offsite and making grand announcements essentially put hype and demand where there wouldn't have been otherwise.

Hopefully they learned from that for this year.

Offline redneckotaku

• Freebie Table
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
This will be my first time going to the show since 2007 due to being an east coaster, so I have no clue how 2011 went for the at con pre-reg. I also admit I don't have to pay for a badge.  My employer is covering my badge because they have extra exhibitor badges. 

What you forget about the total number of badges available is that 20-30% of the badges are taken by Press, Professionals  (including retailers) and Exhibitors (this is an educated guess). That is between 25,000-35,000 four day badges that are automatically taken out of the equation in the 125,000. When you have only a 100,000 memberships available, having 10,000 more memberships at the start of the process is a good thing. It would be horrendous PR for them to go back on what their press person said.

You also need new blood in a capped convention. Going from my fannish experience, Otakon (the largest anime con on the east coast) had to be capped for a couple of years while a new programming hotel was built. It had a stagnation because you had to pre-register to get in the con.  Locals couldn't get into the con and that eventually led to the con removing the cap. That is what SDCC is trying to avoid where only the hardest and most dedicated fans get in.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure they had to re-up with San Diego in order to secure the convention center expansion. There would be no abrupt change of venue to deal with. With member ID they could still do pre-reg online for those who attended that year without any hassle.

otoh, my prediction is that the year that they do away with pre-reg entirely is the year geek culture jumps the shark or hollywood pulls out a bit. In which case it will be a little less in demand.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »

I am kinda surprised they did it last year given the member id system start up learning curve issues.   I'm holding out hope they'll allow pre-reg again this year because
a) all the systems are in place

b) a small amount of hard core fans are a good thing, consider the cosplay fans who work on their costumes all year, for example. 

c) In the scope of approx 125,000 badges, 10,000 is 8% of badges sold at pre-reg.  (assuming i did the math correctly)

and lastly, idk if you pre-reg'd last year but the computers took up a small amount of room in the ballroom, it could still be used for other functions later on in the day. I don't remember if it was or not but it could be.<grin>

I'm pretty certain they did more than 10k in advance, didn't they? I thought it was capped at 5k per day -- no?

I think 10k was the cap for 4 day + preview, but not for all badges.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
This will be my first time going to the show since 2007 due to being an east coaster, so I have no clue how 2011 went for the at con pre-reg. I also admit I don't have to pay for a badge.  My employer is covering my badge because they have extra exhibitor badges. 

What you forget about the total number of badges available is that 20-30% of the badges are taken by Press, Professionals  (including retailers) and Exhibitors (this is an educated guess). That is between 25,000-35,000 four day badges that are automatically taken out of the equation in the 125,000. When you have only a 100,000 memberships available, having 10,000 more memberships at the start of the process is a good thing. It would be horrendous PR for them to go back on what their press person said.

You also need new blood in a capped convention. Going from my fannish experience, Otakon (the largest anime con on the east coast) had to be capped for a couple of years while a new programming hotel was built. It had a stagnation because you had to pre-register to get in the con.  Locals couldn't get into the con and that eventually led to the con removing the cap. That is what SDCC is trying to avoid where only the hardest and most dedicated fans get in.

I always thought that 125k was paid attendance and the comped badges were in addition. no?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
I always thought that 125k was paid attendance and the comped badges were in addition. no?

That was my impression, iirc, the hall holds 135,000.  But I could be off in my numbers
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
<snip>
<snip>

I'm pretty certain they did more than 10k in advance, didn't they? I thought it was capped at 5k per day -- no?

I think 10k was the cap for 4 day + preview, but not for all badges.
I'm pretty sure it was 3K per day for a total of 10K for the 4days-
eta- 3k per day for all types of badges... ('cuz clarity is not my strong suite)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:25:29 PM by alyssa »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
nice! <grin>  the pre-reg took place in a ballroom off-site. most of the space was taken up the customers, the computer space was about a 1/4 of the space. I wanna say maybe a 300 seat hall (very rough number + it was very early in the morning..)

you are right, i didnt' mention that i had already done the math for that.  we have gotten into the habit of saying the 125K number with the understanding that 10K was taken out for press/pro etc. 
Now, the 10K number may be light, true- idk. i wouldn't be surprised if it was larger... <grin>
absolutely, and believe it or not i agree with you.  But (any you know there's a but<grin>) i think there can be a middle ground.  Even using your number of 25K for pro/exibt/etc all, that leaves 110K of paid badges, at 3K/day sold that leaves 90% for potential new folk and it insures the hard core base can get a badge it they want it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:52:19 AM by alyssa »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7868
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
I was there. There were 2,500 badges sold each day (some 4 day, some single day) and only 2,500 were allocated each day. 2,500 X 4 = 10,000.

That is a horrendously low number, given how many people who attend the Con want to pre-register for next year. INHO it wasn't the off-site location that caused the problems, but rather this incredible restriction on the number of badges sold.

The Gossamer

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
I was there. There were 2,500 badges sold each day (some 4 day, some single day) and only 2,500 were allocated each day. 2,500 X 4 = 10,000.

That is a horrendously low number, given how many people who attend the Con want to pre-register for next year. INHO it wasn't the off-site location that caused the problems, but rather this incredible restriction on the number of badges sold.

Yes you are correct. I was there also and CCI officials stated that 2,00 tickets would be sold each day. The type of ticket was limited (x amount of 4 day/preview, 4-day and singles). The only kicker was that you had to have that day's badge in hand to pre reg on site.
  I do not think CCI should close on site pre reg. That was a limited amount sold and gives people who are really dedicated to getting a badge a better chance then online. Purchasing tickets online is not 100% fair being at the mercy of the internet. Connection issues and overloads do not help. If one did not get in the Epic waiting room by 8:10 am there was no chance of getting a 4 day+preview and by 8:30 or so the waiting room was full and essentially all the badges were sold.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
thanks for verifying the 10K number guys (sorry about my bad math  :-[)

<snip>That is a horrendously low number, given how many people who attend the Con want to pre-register for next year. INHO it wasn't the off-site location that caused the problems, but rather this incredible restriction on the number of badges sold.
agreed, 
i think people expected to walk up at 7am & get a pass. I didn't even show up that late for the dr who panel.
in addition there didn't seem to be much in the way of line control.  I was there on thursday, i recall someone coming threw once or twice doing a head count.  I don't recall if there was a line cap. i was closer to the front then the back.

Offline andrewbrowning

• Freebie Table
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
What they should do is release the Pre-reg information via email to everyone with a Member ID on the second day of the Con around noon.

Only the people with smartphones would be able to pre-register.  ;D

Actually, that would probably limit the number of people that would pre-register, at least for a little bit. Word would travel fast, though.